Driving in Thailand

Aussie999

On 10/16/2022 at 2:17 AM, kwilco said:

I've had some hilarious times when stopped and the have all ended friendly and to my advantage or minimum disadvantage

I used to get stopped a lot in Britain, because of the way I looked but I'd always find some way to change the subject and nearly always ended up having a laugh with them.

They're only human after all.

Anyway, I was looking for the same information about driving on a UK licence and found this

https://thailandforme.com/what-license-do-i-need-to-legally-drive-in-thailand/

58 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

I used to get stopped a lot in Britain, because of the way I looked but I'd always find some way to change the subject and nearly always ended up having a laugh with them.

They're only human after all.

Anyway, I was looking for the same information about driving on a UK licence and found this

https://thailandforme.com/what-license-do-i-need-to-legally-drive-in-thailand/

As far as I can ascertain this article is pretty accurate - it is also infuriating

It doesn't appear to be dated

and there are no citations.

"the highway code" that everyone uses as a quote is from 1979 - it is updated in a couple of places but it really shows how haphazard road safety legislation is in Thailand.

Unfortunately Thailand still seems to govern by "dictum" and over the years many pronouncements are made by nabobs trying to make their mark - how much of this actually becomes law and how much is enforced is debatable.

so the result is that almost every aspect of Thai road law is debatable and how it is enforced is a matter of contention.

of course the law is only one aspect of road safer=ty and driving in Thailand - many people endanger themselves and others by simply have an arrogant attitude to driving in the country and think everyone should drive like they do in their home country

Edited by kwilco