Driving in Thailand

Aussie999

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

To be valid the license would need to be translated into Thai and certified by the issuer, this means an international drivers permit from his own country. He could get a two year Thai drivers license which can be done quite easily and without a driving test, just by presenting his Oz license and doing some simple reaction/color blindness tests.

Never seen an IDP translated to Thai script.

Can't get a Thai DL in Sukhothai DLT with a Oz DL without having an IDP with it,    don't know about other DLT province officies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

I'm not sure why people who have lived or been here keep quoting just the law and not what really happens. Prostitution is illegal, so there can't be any here, right?

Don’t you recognise the fundamentally flawed logic in the example provided ???

You are using an example of the law not being enforced to suggest that a false law is being enforced ????? 

hmmm....  I’m not sure you thought that one through !!! :giggle:

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

We could, but in the 8 years I've been here (driving most of the locations you mention plus a few more)....

Before I had my Thai license I was asked at least twice for an IDP to back up my UK license and was fined for not having it (500 baht one time and 400 the other). Since having a Thai license that has always sufficed on its own.

IDP may not be required by law, but having one would be one less reason for a fine that you're probably not getting out of. Or just pay the 400 baht fine on the slim chance it's asked for which would likely still be cheaper and easier than getting an IDP.

I'm not sure why people who have lived or been here keep quoting just the law and not what really happens. Prostitution is illegal, so there can't be any here, right?

Expand  

Finally someone with real experience

You mean someone with an anecdotal piece of information which which backs up your argument. 

20 years ago....  (I mention the duration just to highlight my ‘real experience’ as it seems you like that, or do you only like that when it backs up your view of the world ?).... 

... anyway... 20 years ago I was involved in an accident in Thailand... Only a UK licence..

Police involved, they took my UK Licence (and returned it later), insurance paid out... no issues. 

(I was here on 6 months Multiple entry tourist visa).

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t you recognise the fundamentally flawed logic in the example provided ???

You are using an example of the law not being enforced to suggest that a false law is being enforced ????? 

hmmm....  I’m not sure you thought that one through !!! :giggle:

Thought it through just fine. My comment was "I'm not sure why people who have lived or been here keep quoting just the law and not what really happens." and I gave 2 examples. One where an apparent false law was being enforced and one where a law wasn't being enforced. The point, as I'm pretty sure you know, was to show that what the law is or isn't here often doesn't make much of a difference in every day life.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

And... Further anecdote.... 

About 20 years ago I was stopped at an expressway toll booth and asked for my IDP...  only had a British Licence...  no idea what was going on - I ended up paying the 500 baht on the spot fine !!!... (stupid me !)... 

A few years later, I was stopped again, and asked for an IDP, only had a British Licence, I was told it was a 500 baht fine... I laughed... no way !!...  Picked up the phone to ‘call a friend’ (as my Thai was not very good at that time)...   No.. BiB waved me on...

Around the same time, I was stopped, not asked for IDP, Driving licence, but I was asked for my Passport... I laughed and said no... drove off !!!.... 

The BiB do try it on, which is why its advisable for newbies to carry their IDP when driving and especially when riding a motorcycle.....  But, the reality is MOST tourists cannot get an IDP for a motorcycle licence becasue they don’t have a motorcycle licence - but they may get away with an IDP for a car, and the BiB may accept it.... it just saves hassle.... 

But... If they are confident and especially if they have a Thai speaker they can call, these sort of issues disappear very quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Thought it through just fine. My comment was "I'm not sure why people who have lived or been here keep quoting just the law and not what really happens." and I gave 2 examples. One where an apparent false law was being enforced and one where a law wasn't being enforced. The point, as I'm pretty sure you know, was to show that what the law is or isn't here often doesn't make much of a difference in every day life.

Definitely agree with that - the BiB often make up their own laws.... But, most of the time they know what they are doing and are trying it on to earn extra tea-money. 

When they know we know...  they back off quickly enough... its just a game. 

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not really, you can pay the fine for sure easy done and get on your way but if you don't mind the hold up and tell the policeman his wrong and you want go to the police station and see the chief constable all will be ok.

Has anyone got a western home country IDP that has Thai writing printed in the IDP.

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not really, you can pay the fine for sure easy done and get on your way but if you don't mind the hold up and tell the policeman his wrong and you want go to the police station and see the chief constable all will be ok.

Has anyone got a western home country IDP that has Thai writing printed in the IDP.

IDPs are always in English.

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean someone with an anecdotal piece of information which which backs up your argument. 

20 years ago....  (I mention the duration just to highlight my ‘real experience’ as it seems you like that, or do you only like that when it backs up your view of the world ?).... 

... anyway... 20 years ago I was involved in an accident in Thailand... Only a UK licence..

Police involved, they took my UK Licence (and returned it later), insurance paid out... no issues. 

(I was here on 6 months Multiple entry tourist visa).

He lives in Pattaya. I dont go there. I have real experience in real Thailand. Never been asked.

Who knows what happens in Pattaya, sounds very dodgy.

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

few years later, I was stopped again, and asked for an IDP, only had a British Licence, I was told it was a 500 baht fine... I laughed... no way !!...  Picked up the phone to ‘call a friend’ (as my Thai was not very good at that time)...   No.. BiB waved me on...

Well yes they hope tourists dont know it is a scam. I would just say mai chai khrup. Tum mai? They would wave me on.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There are rules about IDPs i think one of them is it must be in English

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

So he paid a fine to a corrupt cop. 500 baht is $20aud. A IDP is $40 last time i looked.

So getting an IDP is 500 baht more expensive than paying a corrupt cop.

Dear oh dear.

£5 in UK big deal. Here you go UK govt website confirming IDP required for Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Maybe check your countries govt website

@richard_smith237

Screenshot_2022-10-09-04-58-41-883_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

17 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

There are worse places to drive than Thailand.

With Thailand ranking near the top of the worlds list for road deaths +++ , and living here  among  those  brainless drivesr ....i find your comment hard to believe... examples please ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

So, how does that work with my Aussie HR license...lol

thats what I was driving with when I first came over here as well as having my international one, never had a problem showing either to police but after several months I went in and got my thai drivers licence

Edited by seajae

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

IDPs are always in English.

Exactly hence the question and why the UK photocard Driving licence let's you drive in Thailand legally without an IDP.

Not know of any other countries DL's that are able to do the same. 

Also in Sukhothai DLT you can get a Thai DL without an IDP. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There are rules about IDPs i think one of them is it must be in English

Yes as i have said that's why a UK photocard driving licence doesn't need an IDP all information on the UK DL is in English. 

A copy of the UK DL and a copy of your passport and passport entry stamp page is all you need to drive around Thailand.

Even then my 3 sons and 1 of my daughters have never needed to show the copies to anyone when they come holiday here and drive everywhere over some 17 years. 

On 10/8/2022 at 8:45 AM, Peterw42 said:

I have one of them, it certainly cuts through the red tape.

often better than a work permit, permanent residency, pink ID

What, you have a belligerent Mrs?   555

4 hours ago, actonion said:

With Thailand ranking near the top of the worlds list for road deaths +++ , and living here  among  those  brainless drivesr ....i find your comment hard to believe... examples please ?

Most of the west african countries are much worse than thailand for a start.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

£5 in UK big deal. Here you go UK govt website confirming IDP required for Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Maybe check your countries govt website

@richard_smith237

Screenshot_2022-10-09-04-58-41-883_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

You can only get that IDP if you are in the UK - there is no remote option.

It doesn’t hurt for a tourist to get one if they can and may avoid some hassle with a police officer who doesn’t know his own laws or is trying pull a fast one... 

But, for a many tourists (etc from Aus or UK etc) who is already here and then decides they want to drive, they can legally drive using their home country licence - legally an IDP is not required. 

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes as i have said that's why a UK photocard driving licence doesn't need an IDP all information on the UK DL is in English. 

Not per my post further up from UK govt website

Thailands laws are not dictated by what is written on a UK Government Website. 

Thailands laws own this subject are stated in the Motor Vehicle Act 1979.

Section 42-2 
“In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.” 

This is for ’tourists only’ - residents (those on Non-Imm visas etc) require a Thai Licence .

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailands laws are not dictated by what is written on a UK Government Website. 

Thailands laws own this subject are stated in the Motor Vehicle Act 1979.

Section 42-2 
“In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.” 

This is for ’tourists only’ - residents (those on Non-Imm visas etc) require a Thai Licence .

Come on admit you're wrong, be a man, and @Sparktrader I checked for Australia, also required. Of course if unprepared and come to Thailand without an IDP you're stuffed, better planning required, misinformation from you and Sparktrader doesn't help

Screenshot_2022-10-09-13-28-24-339_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

A copy of the UK DL and a copy of your passport and passport entry stamp page is all you need to drive around Thailand.

Even then my 3 sons and 1 of my daughters have never needed to show the copies to anyone when they come holiday here and drive everywhere over some 17 years. 

Cause nobody cares. 

• Thumbs Up 1