Driving in Thailand

Aussie999

To be valid the license would need to be translated into Thai and certified by the issuer, this means an international drivers permit from his own country. He could get a two year Thai drivers license which can be done quite easily and without a driving test, just by presenting his Oz license and doing some simple reaction/color blindness tests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

To be valid the license would need to be translated into Thai and certified by the issuer, this means an international drivers permit from his own country. He could get a two year Thai drivers license which can be done quite easily and without a driving test, just by presenting his Oz license and doing some simple reaction/color blindness tests.

Not as easily as before.  Now one needs to do the DLT E-Learning 1 hour on-line course and obtain the completion QR code. Thankfully, they are now allowing walk-ins at many of the DLT's which helps in ensuring the individuals medical certificate which is also required does not expire, since they are only good for 30 days.  Some DLT's like Chatuchak also want a Certificate of Residence as well.

image.png.e7d00b9805e2ec950d54fa4e79bb0394.png

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Sorry to go head to head again but you can't do this on a Mickey Mouse visa.????

Obviously, in rule-bending places like Pattaya and such, it may happen.

I had to struggle even with a non-O out in the provinces.

'Work permit' was the word .

I finally got my DL thanks to my belligerent mrs ????

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Sorry to go head to head again but you can't do this on a Mickey Mouse visa.????

Obviously, in rule-bending places like Pattaya and such, it may happen.

I had to struggle even with a non-O out in the provinces.

'Work permit' was the word .

I finally got my DL thanks to my belligerent mrs ????

This seems to vary by location and from person to person, it makes sense they would allow everyone to get a Thai license because it makes everything easier. But sense never was a part of the process here so who knows.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

The IDP is not in thai so doy see the point of it but yes need one ..lol 

the answer is yes, he is allowed to drive using his aussie licence due to the agreement in place between countries but the problem is thai police can make their own rules and ignore the fact it is allowed to drive so it may come down to money exchanging hands or getting a copy of the agreement done in thai to show them. When I first moved over here several years ago I had my international plus aussie licence and either was enough for them but rarely had to show it

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seajae said:

the answer is yes, he is allowed to drive using his aussie licence due to the agreement in place between countries but the problem is thai police can make their own rules and ignore the fact it is allowed to drive so it may come down to money exchanging hands or getting a copy of the agreement done in thai to show them

Nope the idp is in English not Thai. Dont need it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no requirement to translate a home licenses into Thai and have it certified.

So long as a license is already in english it meets the requirements of the international treaties.

Section 42 of the Thai vehicle act

Section 42 bis.46 In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied. Section 43.4

•  
  • That may well be what the law says but in practice I cannot imagine many Thai policemen being happy that they are shown a license they can't read. The other aspect is, what are the rental car insurance rules on licenses?

Edited by nigelforbes

47 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats completely wrong. You can drive on a home country license, for a limited time. Thailand,(and most countries) are signatories to the international treaties

Section 42 of the Thai vehicle act

Section 42 bis.46 In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied. Section 43.4

Nah police will ignore that, they want an IDP

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have one of them, it certainly cuts through the red tape.

often better than a work permit, permanent residency, pink ID

Good for you but i hear they can be a problem to live with!

sorry,no harm meant.

12 minutes ago, seajae said:

the answer is yes, he is allowed to drive using his aussie licence due to the agreement in place between countries but the problem is thai police can make their own rules and ignore the fact it is allowed to drive so it may come down to money exchanging hands or getting a copy of the agreement done in thai to show them

As with many things here the answer is, yes but!

• Like 1