Driving in Thailand

Aussie999

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on admit you're wrong, be a man, and @Sparktrader I checked for Australia, also required. Of course if unprepared and come to Thailand without an IDP you're stuffed, better planning required, misinformation from you and Sparktrader doesn't help

Screenshot_2022-10-09-13-28-24-339_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Are you suggesting that the foreign sources you are quoting are correct and the Thai Law as quoted and translated from the Motor Vehicle Act 1979 is incorrect ???

Because, to me your comments read as though you are suggesting the Motor Vehicle Act 1979 is superseded by what a British Government and Aus Website say it is !!!... 

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Also in Sukhothai DLT you can get a Thai DL without an IDP. 

And you also can in Bangkok.... (with a British Driving Licence).

Why is this ??? Because we can legally drive on a Driving Licence which is in English, has photo ID and is issued by an authority representing the government which is a signatory of 1949 or 1968 convention on road traffic... 

Legally residents need to be driving on a Thai Licence, this simple transference is recognition of this regulation... an IDP has never been needed for this... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you suggesting that the foreign sources you are quoting are correct and the Thai Law as quoted and translated from the Motor Vehicle Act 1979 is incorrect ???

Because, to me your comments read as though you are suggesting the Motor Vehicle Act 1979 is superseded by what a British Government and Aus Website say it is !!!... 

Sad that you and @Sparktrader can't admit when you're wrong, you just double down, truly sad, I'll leave it there

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Quoting a website selling Idps is what he is doing

Edited by Sparktrader

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sad that you and @Sparktrader can't admit when you're wrong, you just double down, truly sad, I'll leave it there

You are making an utter fool of yourself... :giggle::whistling:

It seems you are implying the Thailand Motor Vehicle Act 1979 is incorrect !!!....  

On one thing we agree...  its a good idea you do leave... !!:whistling: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 13.28.28.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Section 42.2 simply describes a type of license (foreign license from a country that's part of a mutual driving rights convention with Thailand). It doesn't permit you to actually use it, it's there for the purposes of section 42.

Section 42 allows you to use you such a license, as a temporary resident, but you must possess it while driving accompanied by necessary documents dictated by the respective convention.

So whether you need an IDP would depend upon the Convention that Thailand and your home country are party to. It's a safe bet that if your home country issues IDPs, that they are required by the convention.

• Haha 1

Interesting document, "Self-Drive Tourism in ASEAN Countries" (quotation from page 73 of the Thailand section of  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JzzZ3hKq9T1zPC1DEywP-6sphpbA1vwC/view):

4. Code of Conduct/ Do and Don’ts for Self-Drive tourism

DOs

Have valid driving license
• Driving licenses that can be used by foreign travelers
in Thailand are as follows:

1. Driving licenses issued by the designated

authorities or national automobile association of

the ASEAN countries and its certified English

translation by a competent authority if the license

is not in English

2. International driving permit (IDP) issued in

accordance with Convention on Road Traffic

issued in accordance with Convention on Road Traffic
signed in Geneva on 19 September 1949 or
Convention on Road Traffic signed in Vienna on
8 November 1968

On 10/11/2022 at 5:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

From last year. Bangkok Embassy

Screenshot_2022-10-11-05-06-54-111_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

If you decided to do that surely you have to leave every year to go back UK to get another 1 year IDP. 

More practical to get a Thai DL. 

The fact is if you are from an ASEAN country an English translation will suffice. If not ASEAN and you are a tourist then you need an IDP.  The cops have a card with a picture of an IDP on, so they know what they are looking for. ฿400 fine otherwise. In Pattaya the cops impound bikes if no IDP - saw this happen last week under my nose - to a highly distraught Frenchman!

Applying for a Thai DL is a different matter and they don't ask for an IDP.

Hertz Thailand ask for IDP from non-ASEAN renters.

• Like 2

Just now, HauptmannUK said:

The fact is if you are from an ASEAN country an English translation will suffice. If not ASEAN and you are a tourist then you need an IDP.  The cops have a card with a picture of an IDP on, so they know what they are looking for. ฿400 fine otherwise. In Pattaya the cops impound bikes if no IDP - saw this happen last week under my nose - to a highly distraught Frenchman!

Don't say that, loads of people on this thread reckon quoting the various laws will prove an IDP isn't needed 555

On 10/13/2022 at 3:49 PM, HauptmannUK said:

From my research, there is NO standard IDP form, so it's hard to believe the RTP carry cards for every country, and do we believe the "extremely educated" RTP cops, actually can read English...lol

Edited by Aussie999

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

From my research, there is NO standard IDP form, so it's hard to believe the RTP carry cards for every country, and do we believe the "extremely educated" RTP cops, actually can read English...lol

The format of the IDP is standard, which is the purpose of having the IDP in the first place.  Here are the license categories (which is the most useful part to police officers) in the standardized format specified by the 1968 convention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit#1968_convention_(as_amended_in_2011)

The police officer doesn't need to be trained on every country's license format, only the two convention formats that are in effect in Thailand 1968 and 1949 which are consistent in vehicle classification.  They only need to understand that if A is stamped then the bearer is allowed to drive motorcycles, if B is stamped then the bearer is allowed to drive cars.  No English is needed to look for these two stamps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

LOL!  Talk about getting things backwards - the whole point of the IDP is that its a standard format and therefore police don't need to read English!

For any doubters out there someone sent me this very recent YouTube video. An English guy getting fined ฿500 on Pattaya Beach Road for no IDP.  The relevant bit is at 10:36

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

LOL!  Talk about getting things backwards - the whole point of the IDP is that its a standard format and therefore police don't need to read English!

For any doubters out there someone sent me this very recent YouTube video. An English guy getting fined ฿500 on Pattaya Beach Road for no IDP.  The relevant bit is at 10:36

???????? typical plonker.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Police want an IDP, if you ever come to Thailand you'll realise

i have both UK and thai licences, I often used to offer my UK licence when pulled at road stops, not once was it refused

most dont even know what an ID or UK licence looks like, cant read it, so just say ok and let you through 

Even when i first came with ID licence, mist had no idea what it was 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

i have both UK and thai licences, I often used to offer my UK licence when pulled at road stops, not once was it refused

most dont even know what an ID or UK licence looks like, cant read it, so just say ok and let you through 

That's been my experience long time ago with a photocard UK DL but recently with my family coming over to see me this year. 

38 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Wouldn't work in Pattaya, constant police checkpoints here, i was pulled over twice today, of course if in nikon nowhere probably too sleepy to care

• Like 1

Driving on an IDP

A lot depends on what the police officer thinks he can do. Most want to see an IDP

Thangs seem to have changed though.

The old situation was that if your D/L had a photo and a recognised language (e.g. English” you’d be OK – and issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences

Thailand did sign the Geneva Convention 1949 – not sure they ratified it though.

However, that may be a moot point as they have signed the Vienna Convention (1968) on Road Traffic. This came into force in 1977 and Thailand signed in – wait for it! – 2020!

When a state is contracting to more than one convention, the newest one terminate and replace previous ones in relation between those states”. - (UN – Vienna treaty)

Thailand has been ignoring a lot of the articles in this treaty but the IDP is in there.

Here is an extract………

Contracting parties shall recognize as valid for driving in their territories:

·      any domestic driving licence drawn up in their national language or in one of their national languages, or, if not drawn up in such a language, accompanied by a certified translation;

·      domestic driving licence conforms to the provisions of annex 6 to the convention;

·      International Driving Permit conforms to the provisions of annex 7 to the convention, on condition that it is presented with the corresponding domestic driving licence;

·      driving licences issued by a contracting party shall be recognised in the territory of another contracting party until this territory becomes the place of normal residence of their holder;

·      the period of validity of an international driving permit shall be either no more than three years after the date of issue or until the date of expiry of the domestic driving licence, whichever is earlier;

·      an international driving permit shall only be issued by the contracting party in whose territory the holder has their normal residence"

“Normal place of residence” – this gives weight to the idea that those retired or working in the country are required to get a Thai driving licence.

Some insurance companies may withdraw cover on those who have been driving without an IP or on an IDP for more than 3 months.

IDPs are not meant to last for more tan 3 years from issue, but I’ve seen a 5 year IDP issued by Thailand.

So to be free from hassle and safe regards insurance you need an IDP that shows you have a FULL licence for whatever vehicle you are driving  (learner licences re all excluded) – it shows the international; categories and if you don’t have it at home it won’t show on your licence.

Whether or not the police will/can read this is another matter.

BTW – Those of you who have state-issued licences may also encounter problems with road side cops who want to see a nation on them

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

IDPs have several languages on them agreed by the treaty - I from what I remember it included Russian,Chinese Japanese, French German, Italian, Spanish etc....

Edited by kwilco

On 10/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I'd say that Thailand's signature of the Vienna 1968) convention in 2020 supersedes both a 1979 traffic (it may have been amended)  - and the 1949 Geneva convention

15 minutes ago, kwilco said:

IDPs have several languages on them agreed by the treaty - I from what I remember it included Russian,Chinese Japanese, French German, Italian, Spanish etc....

The whole point of argument is the uk photocard DL has all the information on it in English.

The uk IDP has all the information in English which is already on the uk DL, if it had Thai written information as well the reason for a IDP would make sense but it doesn't.

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The whole point of argument is the uk photocard DL has all the information on it in English.

The uk IDP has all the information in English which is already on the uk DL, if it had Thai written information as well the reason for a IDP would make sense but it doesn't.

It is quite easy to determine whether the bearer is authorized in his home country to drive the vehicle he is driving in Thailand by using an IDP and looking at which vehicle classes are stamped.  If the A vehicle class is stamped then the bearer can drive a motorcycle, if the B vehicle class is stamped then the bearer can drive a car.  One can tell which vehicle class is stamped without understanding any language that appears in the IDP.

For example, this driver is authorized to drive a car but not a motorcycle because vehicle class B is stamped but A is not.  This determination could be made without understanding a word of either English or Chinese.

580px-ROC-MOTC_International_Driving_Per

By consulting the IDP it can be determined whether the bearer is authorized to drive a motorcycle or a car without deciphering the home country license, without knowing how a particular country's or state's driver's licenses decide to show which vehicle classes are authorized, or understanding any particular language.  The automotive organization in each country which is authorized to issue the IDP in each country does know how to translate their country's authorizations to the standardized IDP vehicle classes.  That is why a particular nationality can only obtain their IDP from the organization authorized for their particular home country. 

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well, it's stipulated by the Vienna Convention and the IDP has several languages not just English - including Chinese Russian, Arabic and  Spanish. Previously the Thai law seemed to cover the idea that a UK licence (photo kind) would have been OK - now they've signed the Vienna convention it seems less likely. 

However it makes no sense to argue the toss as it's so much easier either to have an IDP or have a Thai licence. Previously a lengthy and expensive court case may have proved you right, but now it seems you wouldn't succeed. I'm definitely not about to put it to the test myself. 

The UK card carries the same vehicle graphics as the IDP agreed under the treaty but some categories are not internationally accepted... but it doesn't have the other internationally agreed languages.

Thailand regards all "mopeds" as 2-wheeled motorcycles, which means you would need a full motorcycle licence for a 50cc affair.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1