Bank issue for extension / Jomtien

So I messed up... I went shopping yesterday, paid with the banking app and chose the wrong bank account. My balance dropped below the required amount of 400K. My renewal date is mid of November, so I am within the 2 months where the limit must be above. I realized it minutes later and filled the account up, but I have to assume that it will be an issue at immigration.

What are my options? So far, I always did my extensions on my own, never had an issue. Can an agent "fix" this with immigration? Will immigration in Jomtien "accept" it as a genuine error? Do I need to do a "border run" to get a 30d exempt and then restart the marriage visa process when back in country? How would that work?

Am genuinely pI$$ed at myself.

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

400k so you must be on extension marriage.

Obtain a 60 extension to visit wife.

That will provide enough time to season funds.

Obviously ask immigration if they can overlook your mistake first.

If not obtain the extension. 1900baht

Could I get such an extension in-country or would I have to to a border run?

My recent experience with Jomtien Immi tells me that they will see an opportunity to deny your extension in order to force you to use an agent, thus getting them a commission from the agent. I had been doing my own extensions for 14 years at Jomtien without a hitch until they started requesting things other than what they had asked for before. The items they required were difficult, but not impossible to obtain, and I had paperwork which was very relevant already, which I showed them . To any sensible person my paperwork should have been sufficient (It was the year before) but they insisted I obtain further paperwork. In the end I used an agent and paid a fee. I resolved to use an agent on all subsequent applications for an extension to save the hassle. The agent actually told me that even if I had obtained the extra paperwork they would ask for even more the next year. 

Edited by thoengthaied

On 10/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, KannikaP said:

So what was this extra paperwork they wanted please?

I had already ordered and paid for 12 months bank statements and certificates of deposit of my monthly pension payments from Bangkok Bank. The previous year Immi had asked for those because my pension was listed as "BAHTNET" because it was directed from UK Pensions via Citibank to Bangkok Bank. Last year Immi accepted the monthly certificates because they showed that the original sender was the UK Pensions department. Same certificates this year with the same information but they now demanded that I get certificates from Citibank as well. I went back to Bangkok Bank, Jomtien 2nd. Road, and queued for the usual 45 minutes to ask for help but they would only give me the telephone number of Citibank in Bangkok. I did phone Citibank and they were helpful enough and said they would email me a form which I should fill in with my requirements of the individual transaction dates. They did email the form to me but there were only 2 lines that I could fill in, not 13. I considered going to Citibank in Bangkok to apply in person but that was the point at which I gave up and went to an agent. Agent cost me 15,000 baht and I wonder how much Immigration received out of that amount. Whatever they received, I considered it worth it because I had been really stressed out and the agent took away all that stress. 

Edited by thoengthaied

17 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

I had already ordered and paid for 12 months bank statements and certificates of deposit of my monthly pension payments from Bangkok Bank. The previous year Immi had asked for those because my pension was listed as "BAHTNET" because it was directed from UK Pensions via Citibank to Bangkok Bank. Last year Immi accepted the monthly certificates because they showed that the original sender was the UK Pensions department. Same certificates this year with the same information but they now demanded that I get certificates from Citibank as well. I went back to Bangkok Bank, Jomtien 2nd. Road, and queued for the usual 45 minutes to ask for help but they would only give me the telephone number of Citibank in Bangkok. I did phone Citibank and they were helpful enough and said they would email me a form which I should fill in with my requirements of the individual transaction dates. They did email the form to me but there were only 2 lines that I could fill in, not 13. I considered going to Citibank in Bangkok to apply in person but that was the point at which I gave up and went to an agent. Agent cost me 15,000 baht and I wonder how much Immigration received out of that amount. Whatever they received, I considered it worth it because I had been really stressed out and the agent took away all that stress. 

and this is why it is far easier to have all incomes paid into a UK bank and then do a Wise transfer to Bkk  Bank once a month arriving as an FTT.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hopefully you'll get it sorted easily. In the future, why not keep the balance comfortably above the minimum to avoid such mishaps? Say B10k-B100k+. ????

Or preferably open a separate account dedicated exclusively to the 400k in question, with no cards nor internet access linked to it (to minimise the risk of similar "accidents" in future).

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 3:20 AM, thoengthaied said:

My recent experience with Jomtien Immi tells me that they will see an opportunity to deny your extension in order to force you to use an agent, thus getting them a commission from the agent. I had been doing my own extensions for 14 years at Jomtien without a hitch until they started requesting things other than what they had asked for before. The items they required were difficult, but not impossible to obtain, and I had paperwork which was very relevant already, which I showed them . To any sensible person my paperwork should have been sufficient (It was the year before) but they insisted I obtain further paperwork. In the end I used an agent and paid a fee. I resolved to use an agent on all subsequent applications for an extension to save the hassle. The agent actually told me that even if I had obtained the extra paperwork they would ask for even more the next year. 

Are you on marriage extension or retirement. The reason I ask is that marriage extensions are not agreed at local level. They have to be sent to regional HQ. If you are on a marriage extension it would appear your agent did 1 of 2 things.

They either got the required paperwork for you or went to the immigration office and offered a direct bribe for immigration to forget about the extra documents required. If the latter, the documents required were invented by the IO. You could easily have questioned them about it and " offered" to call the help line to confirm requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, thoengthaied said:

Same whit me 8 year no problem and smooth sailing to get my exstension based on marrige but in 2018 them start make problems and every year more and more but instead of pay of this coorupt officials I pick up my EliteVisa on Friday and will never ever have to deal whit this people again , yes cost alot but for me worth every baht.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bank statements show each transaction withdraw/deposit and dated.

Intra-day transactions are only subtotals and it is the end of day balance that matters - at least by all international standards.

I fully accept that anything like this can give the opportunity for an IO to create an issue.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:15 AM, hotandsticky said:

Intra-day transactions are only subtotals and it is the end of day balance that matters - at least by all international standards.

I fully accept that anything like this can give the opportunity for an IO to create an issue.

You are wrong again, as the rule says that the balance has to be above the limit "at all times". That includes intra-day.

Final report: I want to Jomtien yesterday with the two bank letters from SCB and presented the whole bundle. The IO did see two accounts, asked why, I explained my mistake, then the IO started to compare dates, came to the conclusion that I was always above the 400K in total and the only remark was "be careful with your bank account". 

Definitely helps to be upfront and have all other papers complete, in order and signed. 

Thanks for all those with valuable input. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Swiss1960 said:

You are wrong again, as the rule says that the balance has to be above the limit "at all times". That includes intra-day.

Do you have evidence an actual rejection of an extension for that reason?

I doubt it very much, but I have evidence of an Immigration office (not Jomtien) approving an extension where someone had exactly the same situation but paid in sufficient funds during the day to top up the balance.

5 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Final report: I want to Jomtien yesterday with the two bank letters from SCB and presented the whole bundle. The IO did see two accounts, asked why, I explained my mistake, then the IO started to compare dates, came to the conclusion that I was always above the 400K in total and the only remark was "be careful with your bank account". 

Definitely helps to be upfront and have all other papers complete, in order and signed. 

Thanks for all those with valuable input. 

Good outcome ???? 

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Do you have evidence an actual rejection of an extension for that reason?

I doubt it very much, but I have evidence of an Immigration office (not Jomtien) approving an extension where someone had exactly the same situation but paid in sufficient funds during the day to top up the balance.

Oh yes, I have evidence of that... my own evidence...

Until last year, I had a fixed interest account with SCB for my extension. What SCB does for these accounts is that every time they change the interest rate / when the term runs out, they book three intra-day transaction: One with the interest, a second one to withdraw the WHOLE balance from the account, and a third to deposit the whole balance back to the account in order to start a new term.

I thought that this is no problem, as all is intraday and it is only internal SCB transactions... the first IO rejected the bank statements and told me to come back when I have seasoning without such transactions. 

I had to call my account manager from SCB in Jomtien and have her come to the immigration office in order to clear the situation and explain that I never touched the money. The then IO (the lady manager at desk 6) told me that next year, this would not be accepted any more and that I should change my account to a "normal" one, which I did.

• Like 1