Wise to get a Thai Driver’s license?

I am in Thailand now on a long-stay visa with plans to spend a significant amount of time here over the next 5-10 years.

I meet all the requirements to get a Thai Driver’s license.  I went to the Department of Land Transport to learn about the process just for information sake.  But SHOULD I get one?  I don’t plan to (or want to) drive in Thailand — I just use taxis, MRT/BTS, other public transport.  I get along fine that way.  Only exception might be what to do if visiting a rural area/island if public transport unavailable.

But driving aside, is it wise to get a Thai Driver’s License for other reasons if I am going to be spending a lot of time in Thailand and other ASEAN countries?  

From the long-stay residents with more knowledge than me, what advice can you give me?  Will having a Thailand Driver’s license be helpful as a form of ID, helpful in    other ways just to have in your wallet?

Big thanks in advance.

Has all kinds of uses beyond the obvious.Entrance to some parks at local price not tourist.Useful ID has many applications, if you can get one do it, it does no harm sat in your wallet but may well come in very useful.

• Thanks 1

Solid advice and much appreciated.  I will plan to obtain.  

For scubascuba3, when you say “worth getting both licenses,” do you mean both automobile and motorbike for Thailand?  I do have a “motorcycle endorsement” (unrestricted cc engine size) on my USA license in addition to the usual passenger car privilege.  So, you are saying to get both automobile and motorbike for Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Solid advice and much appreciated.  I will plan to obtain.  

For scubascuba3, when you say “worth getting both licenses,” do you mean both automobile and motorbike for Thailand?  I do have a “motorcycle endorsement” (unrestricted cc engine size) on my USA license in addition to the usual passenger car privilege.  So, you are saying to get both automobile and motorbike for Thailand?

Yes do it to save yourself any issues if you rent or buy a vehicle of any type here.