Jomtien testing umbrella, vendor, and beach chair removal days monthly

snoop1130

IMG_20221012_082833_351-696x696.jpg

Despite messages on Thai and Foreign social media recently many folks were caught off guard when they visited Jomtien Beach today, October 12th, to find no sign that umbrellas, beach chairs, or vendors ever existed.

This is part of a test by Pattaya mayor Poramese Ngampichet, who has pledged an environmental friendly day once a month where the beach is completely natural. This has happened regularly on Pattaya Beach and in areas like Hua Hin and Cha Am but not on Jomtien Beach since well before the pandemic.

The reaction to the removal was polarizing and mixed, with many Thai readers saying it was wonderful and they supported it. English speaking readers were less positive, with many expressing concern for vendors or pointing out that the average age of beach visitors from foreigners were older who wanted the shade and services from beach vendors and were past the days of sitting on a beach towel in the sun.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/12/jomtien-testing-umbrella-vendor-and-beach-chair-removal-days-monthly/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This is part of a test by Pattaya mayor Poramese Ngampichet, who has pledged an environmental friendly day once a month where the beach is completely natural.

Yeah, that will help the world's environmental issues. 1 day out of 30 having no chairs and umbrellas 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

with many expressing concern for vendors or pointing out that the average age of beach visitors from foreigners were older who wanted the shade and services from beach vendors and were past the days of sitting on a beach towel in the sun.

Just do not go to the beach on these days ... or bring your own umbrella .

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Just do not go to the beach on these days ... or bring your own umbrella .

Yeah! ???????? I come from the Antipodes and there the idea that large swathes of a public beach thereby excluding masses of others by leasing or squatted on by chair and umbrella vendors would be considered blasphemy and almost treasonous lol ????.

You go to the beach .... you take your own mat, brollie and if needed beach chair. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

You go to the beach .... you take your own mat, brollie and if needed beach chair. 

I am a member of The Great British Dads' Club.  This well-known beast of burden could be seen swathed in beach blankets/towels, carrying windshield/chairs/picnic hampers struggling up and down Cornish cliffs with the kids following armed with their buckets & spades. As I got older I would research how far down the beach was from the carpark and veto any venue that I deemed too much.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah! ???????? I come from the Antipodes and there the idea that large swathes of a public beach thereby excluding masses of others by leasing or squatted on by chair and umbrella vendors would be considered blasphemy and almost treasonous lol ????.

Deck chairs just don't fit well into suitcases...... especially if one needs a couple of them. There is enough beach in Jomtien to have a long open stretch, and a few areas where chair vendors can exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do they allow that?  

I sat on my beach towel once and got told I couldn't do that.. I had to rent a chair?

I asked the vendor in Thai if he had the ownership documents for the beach, if he could prove that he owned the spot where I was sitting I'd oblige him.

He walked off to bother some other people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This   is a beach fabricated with imported sand, built over hundreds of sandbags......struggle to see how that is "completely natural". 

A bit like plastic surgery... looks good on the outside but underneath is a different story.

The issue is there is to little public, free spaces in between the rental areas that are shaded.  The people who do not want to pay will sit in a chair on the sidewalk or in the free spaces.  Thai families will sit on sidewalk with a few under trees in free area.  Only on Holidays or days were there is an event in the area do chair rentals seem busy enough to support their efforts.