Best island for 1 month

Sparktrader

Which island would you choose? Which beach?

Ive been to samui,kpn, chang, lanta, phi phi, phuket, mook, ngai, samet. Some more than 10 yrs ago.

Looking for monthly rate 8,000 baht to 10,000 baht. Not too busy, not too quiet.

I wonder if Maenam on Samui would be good choice?  Id probably train it down from Bkk to Chumphon the ferry across.

Koh Chang without a doubt. depending on what sort of accomodation you want, 10k a month maybe but 333 baht a night 8k 250 a night, are you serious? not sure you'll find that price anywhere on any Island. Min 500b a night is more realistic. Many places will not give you a monthly discount, because of the weekend tourists.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I wonder if Maenam on Samui would be good choice?  Id probably train it down from Bkk to Chumphon the ferry across.

LOL. It's a prime tourist beach on Samui so you think the room rate would be that cheap? LOL.

Cheaper rooms on Phangan. N E has best beaches. You could try Than Sadet as you recommended it so highly.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Koh Chang without a doubt. depending on what sort of accomodation you want, 10k a month maybe but 333 baht a night 8k 250 a night, are you serious? not sure you'll find that price anywhere on any Island. Min 500b a night is more realistic. Many places will not give you a monthly discount, because of the weekend tourists.  

I tried Koh Chang once- never again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this was just about beach, I would chose the beach at Sattahip Naval base, it's one of the most idyllic I've come across. Plus twenty minutes away is the full array of restaurants and entertainment etc. I always believed that going to a nice island beach doesn't mean having to stay there 24 hours a day, along with the limited facilities that exist there also.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As had I, but it's not a good beach for a long stay, and it was expensiv

Probably won't find the places online, but you spend a few days scouting the area I'd wager it's possible. Make the rounds of the bars and network.  I had a stand alone bungalow behind the major beer bar complex 10 k thb for one month but that was 8 yrs ago.

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Samui's Lamaii Beach is the one I've been to several times. Not sure how it is post covid.

I recently stayed there for 3 weeks. Rented an air-conditioned little house for 400 baht a night, 200 metres from the beach.  Very quiet, few tourists, beautiful beach, many shops, bars and restaurants open.  I had a nice time.

Now heading back to Burma, if they let me back in!

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gulf coast south of Chumphon was the cheese for me. Lots of little resorts to choose from. I stayed at Sanawan B and B for a month. Wife and I had the beach to ourselves. BBQ on the sand most evenings.

Just some perspective. You have said once is enough for you on Koh Chang, that is just how I feel about the mainland beaches south of Chumphon.  The islands off Chumphon and Surat are great in my eyes, more touristy for sure than 30 years ago but still beautiful. So it seems with beaches, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I recently stayed there for 3 weeks. Rented an air-conditioned little house for 400 baht a night, 200 metres from the beach.  Very quiet, few tourists, beautiful beach, many shops, bars and restaurants open.  I had a nice time.

Now heading back to Burma, if they let me back in!

Is it farang city?

What time of year do you plan to go?

Depending on the season you need a west or east facing beach, unless you happy with prevailing wind blowing in your face.

Generally from next month to early May west-facing beaches are protected.

When the weather changes in May you need to be facing the east or north.

Worst time in Samui weather-wise is Nov/Dec.