Woman rescued from southern "sex maniac" - one is dead, but are there more victims?

webfact

14 hours ago, happydreamer said:

I can only hope the authors first language is not English.  In that case they get a pass.  But seriously what native English speaker writes..."she hails from..."

I, likewise, think the article is poorly written and presumably/hopefully the author is not a native English speaker. However, many people (including novelists) use the phrase "hails from". Perfectly proper use of English (in that instance).

10 hours ago, ThaSalaPaul said:

I, likewise, think the article is poorly written and presumably/hopefully the author is not a native English speaker. However, many people (including novelists) use the phrase "hails from". Perfectly proper use of English (in that instance).

I've heard boxing announcers use it.  It sounds fairly dramatic and ostentatious at best.  May I ask which English-speaking country you hail from?

Edited by happydreamer

On 10/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, happydreamer said:

I've heard boxing announcers use it.  It sounds fairly dramatic and ostentatious at best.  May I ask which English-speaking country you hail from?

Hi Happydreamer. I'm from England. I just finished a book (Troubled Blood) which uses it too. It seems to be quite an ordinary unassuming phrase to me.