UK Visit Visa - 2 Years, Worth it, or not?

I was considering a 2 year visit visa for the missus, just to save me further application/s in the following 18 months. It also means that she would have a visa in place which helps for any Schengen application.

However, I am struggling with the cost vs benefits analysis.

US$473 for a 2 year visa does not sound good value against US$125 for a 6 month visa. In my case the admin/traveling time savings do not justify an extra US$350.

The length of permitted stay is a minefield with everyone saying that there is no 180 day per rule - yet Immigration criteria pointing to the fact that if you spend longer in the UK, than your home country, then you are making the UK your 'main home'. Could you even get 3 x 6 month visit with a 2 year visa? - it seems to open up reasons for future refusal.

Am I missing something?

In my opinion it's not really cost effective for the visitor who wishes to make the occasional planned visit, as you say the six month visa is far cheaper.

My wife currently has a five year visa, having had a two year and some six month visas previously, and certainly hasn't had her monies worth, and probably wouldn't have had even without the Covid travel restrictions. What it has given her is protection against price increases for five years, not having to bother with the application process, and the ability to be able to travel at short notice, should the need arise, as with anything in life it's a judgement call and a personal decision. When her five year expires, it was her intention to apply for a ten year visa, which is even less cost effective.

You'll be aware that the longer term visa is designed for applicants who can demonstrate they need to travel to the UK on a regular basis, if the decsion makers believe that a longer term visa is not appropriate, and can satisfy a manager of their concerns, then they can issue a standard six month visa, in which case there would be no refund of the extra fee, it rarely happens, but it does.

It is correct that there is no rule saying that a visitor can only stay for 180 days in a twelve month period, though even a  actual six month stay would need to be justified in the application and possibly at the UK Border. As you mention the ECO and/or Border force Officer would need to be satisfied that the applicant/traveller is not making the UK their main home through frequent or succesive visits. The instructions to staff is outlined, on page 21 of this document: Visit.pdf  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

In my opinion it's not really cost effective for the visitor who wishes to make the occasional planned visit, as you say the six month visa is far cheaper.

My wife currently has a five year visa, having had a two year and some six month visas previously, and certainly hasn't had her monies worth, and probably wouldn't have had even without the Covid travel restrictions. What it has given her is protection against price increases for five years, not having to bother with the application process, and the ability to be able to travel at short notice, should the need arise, as with anything in life it's a judgement call and a personal decision. When her five year expires, it was her intention to apply for a ten year visa, which is even less cost effective.

You'll be aware that the longer term visa is designed for applicants who can demonstrate they need to travel to the UK on a regular basis, if the decsion makers believe that a longer term visa is not appropriate, and can satisfy a manager of their concerns, then they can issue a standard six month visa, in which case there would be no refund of the extra fee, it rarely happens, but it does.

It is correct that there is no rule saying that a visitor can only stay for 180 days in a twelve month period, though even a  actual six month stay would need to be justified in the application and possibly at the UK Border. As you mention the ECO and/or Border force Officer would need to be satisfied that the applicant/traveller is not making the UK their main home through frequent or succesive visits. The instructions to staff is outlined, on page 21 of this document: Visit.pdf  

Thank you.

I recall the 10 year visa fee being the only one that did offer better value.  For a regular annual visitor the fee of US$963 is much more attractive  -   as you say, individual circumstances will dictate.

I think a word of caution for anyone considering a 10 year visa - I helped a friend a few years ago with his GF's application and they were perfectly suited to a 10 year visa; it matched their lifestyle to a tee. I think that an ECO will look very closely at a 10 year request and my friend was declined for spending 12 months in the UK in a 19 month period. The only reason for that was because of visas that UKVI had approved! At no point did they consider declining the second visa that created the 12 in 19 situation.

I have refused your application for a visit visa because I am not satisfied that you
meet the requirements of paragraph(s) V4.2 because:
You are applying to visit the UK for 5 Months & 27 days to visit your partner.
However, the documents you have provided show that you have had previous visit
visas to the UK as follows:
 6 month visit visa granted on 02/08/2018 where you stayed for 6 Months
 6 month visit visa granted on 02/05/2019 where you stayed for 6 Months
In total you have spent 12 months over a period of 19 months in the UK. I am not
satisfied that you will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or
excessive periods or make the UK your main home. Therefore, your application is
refused under paragraph V4.2 (b) of the Immigration Rules

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

US$473 for a 2 year visa does not sound good value against US$125 for a 6 month visa.

There are 4 x 6 months in two years. 4 x $125 = £500. So the 2 year one is £27 cheaper using O Level maths.

My wife had 15 previous 6 month visas for the UK so the 2 year multi was automatically acquired.  There was very little 'financial' benefit as opposed to applying  for the equivalent in single visas , however the process meant we didn't have to go through the routine of completing a new application ( with all the exact same detail ) 4 times.

She applied and received the visa shortly before the Covid-19 restrictions came into force and was only able to use it once in the following 2 years. NO refund, no extension, no grace from the UK Home Office.  

Conclusion, waste of time and money.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There are 4 x 6 months in two years. 4 x $125 = £500. So the 2 year one is £27 cheaper using O Level maths.

But you are not allowed 4 x 6 month stays. 

2 x 6 month stays = US$236.50 per stay............ Junior school maths.

23 minutes ago, DaLa said:

My wife had 15 previous 6 month visas for the UK so the 2 year multi was automatically acquired.  There was very little 'financial' benefit as opposed to applying  for the equivalent in single visas , however the process meant we didn't have to go through the routine of completing a new application ( with all the exact same detail ) 4 times.

She applied and received the visa shortly before the Covid-19 restrictions came into force and was only able to use it once in the following 2 years. NO refund, no extension, no grace from the UK Home Office.  

Conclusion, waste of time and money.

Again, to labour my point about the length of stay - I don't think you would have had 4 visits in those 2 years.

Fully agree about the impact of Covid - IMO they should have had the good grace to 'credit' you with any unused visas directly related to Covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Again, to labour my point about the length of stay - I don't think you would have had 4 visits in those 2 years.

Fully agree about the impact of Covid - IMO they should have had the good grace to 'credit' you with any unused visas directly related to Covid.

I (we) run an export / import business and would return to the UK to buy stock for 2 months, then ship it here and spend the following 4 months selling the stock. That accounts for the 4 visits, although on occasions we were able to get 2 visits out of one  6 month visa.

I was unable to claim any business relief due to Covid or claim any of the  compensation forthcoming to the masses in the UK on furlow.  My subsequent Self Assessment's for the next few years are going to register every last penny I spend from now on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaLa said:

I (we) run an export / import business and would return to the UK to buy stock for 2 months, then ship it here and spend the following 4 months selling the stock. That accounts for the 4 visits, although on occasions we were able to get 2 visits out of one  6 month visa.

I was unable to claim any business relief due to Covid or claim any of the  compensation forthcoming to the masses in the UK on furlow.  My subsequent Self Assessment's for the next few years are going to register every last penny I spend from now on.

I fully understand why the 2 year visa was perfect in your circumstances.........you couldn't have foreseen Covid!