Taking the plunge

I am planning to go and see a well known agent next week about getting a Non O visa for retirement.

The reason is that I plan to stay in Thailand for the winter months each year so at least 6 months and rather than try to juggle visa runs,  deal with extensions and the associated hassles which will cost me money anyway not to mention the border scrutiny from IO's.

It seems a wise investment for me to make and some peace of mind that I can come and go when I want.

Does that sound a sensible course to take and is there anything I should be aware of before I go to see the agent ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Do you have the required 800,000 in the bank and willing to leave it there all the time?
if so no need for an agent, an just pay 1,900/year for the extension AND
pay 1,000 baht for single re entry or 3,800 for multiple

IF no 800,000, than its a min of 16,000 baht/year, PLUS the re entry>

you do the math

The answer to that is at this point I'm not willing to tie the money up here as I don't believe it is the best use of it and an agent can smooth all the other wrinkles I constantly hear about.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

is there anything I should be aware of before I go to see the agent ?

if you use the well-known one on Soi Post in Patts be aware that you'll need a Bangkok Bank account.  if you don't have one already they can expedite it at the nearest BBL branch, for a fee of course, most of which is the cost of the insurance policy.

Edited by Lemsta69
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

if you use the well-known one on Soi Post in Patts be aware that you'll need a Bangkok Bank account.  if you don't have one already they can expedite it at the nearest BBL branch, for a fee of course, most of which is the code of the insurance policy.

Yes that's the plan.

I do have Kasikorn already but I understand that's not the favoured route they take.

1 minute ago, Padthaigoong said:

Yes that's the plan.

I do have Kasikorn already but I understand that's not the favoured route they take.

yes and there's a very good reason for that but I don't like to talk about Fight Club so I'm keeping schtum ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Padthaigoong said:

I see

Do you think 30k would cover all of that ?

in Dec 2021 I paid B25k for conversion to non-O and one-year extension, B4k for multiple re-entry permit, and B3,700 for bank account. 

they actually put B512 in the bank account as the initial deposit so I guess the net cost was B3,188.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

Each to their own, if you're prepared to take the risk, knowing what the penalties are, have it. TBH I'm not sure that breaking Immigration law on the very first day is the best way to start your new life in Thailand but hey, I'm just old fashioned in that respect. And if the fact that said dodgy agent has loads and loads of farang customers gives you comfort and makes you think everything is OK, more fool you.

very first day? yeah nah I was in quarantine on the first day and when they let me out I walked around the Cow until I found the first bar that was serving alkhyhol despite the Covid prohibition. I didn't get around to sorting the retirement visa until day 8. 

why come to Thailand if you don't want to adapt to the local way of doing things? ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

very first day? yeah nah I was in quarantine on the first day and when they let me out I walked around the Cow until I found the first bar that was serving alkhyhol despite the Covid prohibition. I didn't get around to sorting the retirement visa until day 8. 

why come to Thailand if you don't want to adapt to the local way of doing things? ????

Champion, can you pm the details on how the system works

10 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

If you stay and if you don't get caught, you may change your thinking on this subject. Most long term legitimate expats, the ones who really can afford to live here, get pretty pee'd off with the antics of the few that can't and who break all the rules. In retaliation, Immigration implements even more draconian rules which makes life even harder for everyone, even though most of us have played by the rules. The rule about seasoning the 400/800k, two months before and every month after, that's because of people like YOU.

sorry bro but that's kinda off-topic and I've already got enough non-expiring points ????

peace out ✌️