Taking the plunge

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Would not change things.

Your earlier post stating that you might revisit idea of border runs etc. 

Not a long term solution. 

Be aware that MANY folk living long term in Thailand use agents.

Don't listen to the negative posts about this option.

They have axe to grind. 

For the record I don't use an agent however as father time catches up it is firmly on my radar. 

There are legitimate agents, and those who bend the rules via various stratagems. If a corrupt agent or IO gets caught, it's the foreigner that will catch most of the flak.

There's actually no hard data AFAIK to say how many foreigners get booted out of Thailand on this basis, and I would doubt Immigration is going to publish it.

IMO saying deportations of this nature have never happened is like denying climate change is man-made.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Would not change things.

Your earlier post stating that you might revisit idea of border runs etc. 

Not a long term solution. 

Be aware that MANY folk living long term in Thailand use agents.

Don't listen to the negative posts about this option.

They have axe to grind. 

For the record I don't use an agent however as father time catches up it is firmly on my radar. 

It's one thing for a person to use an agent to simplify the interface with Immi., especially older expats. I use an agent who handles all of my Immi requirements every year and I pay them 5,000 baht in fees per year for the service. But the agent is legit, I have funds on deposit so the 800k is mine, not the agents plus I'm playing by the Immi. rules.

All of the above is very different from "the agent" who fronts the 800K and helps the applicant obtain their visa when they don't have the necessary 800k. So when we're talking about an agent, I think it's important to distinguish what type of agent is being discussed.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

if you use the well-known one on Soi Post in Patts be aware that you'll need a Bangkok Bank account.  if you don't have one already they can expedite it at the nearest BBL branch, for a fee of course, most of which is the cost of the insurance policy.

I have to laugh at the sheer level of corruption.

For myself, peace of mind comes from the passport never leaving my person, opening a bank account by myself.

I'd try Savanakhet or Penang but you'd probably need a bank account there's as well.

There were always chancers and this going on in Pattaya but the level now I think is thru the roof. Just adds to the unsavory reputation.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There's actually no hard data AFAIK to say how many foreigners get booted out of Thailand on this basis, and I would doubt Immigration is going to publish it.

Everytime advice is given to folk asking about agents is...

Rule #1 ...Always deal with a well know agent.

Two random examples would be ThaivisaCenter in Bangkok. 

Maneerat in Pattaya etc.

Many others. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I have to laugh at the sheer level of corruption.

For myself, peace of mind comes from the passport never leaving my person, opening a bank account by myself.

I'd try Savanakhet or Penang but you'd probably need a bank account there's as well.

There were always chancers and this going on in Pattaya but the level now I think is thru the roof. Just adds to the unsavory reputation.

haters gonna hate..

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Agents are big money for Immigration.  Monies that are spread throughout the entire system especially needed in these post Covid times.

If anyone has a link to a Retirement process that an agent/client handled and was then reported/arrested, please post.   There are some illegal worker agents that have been reported, but biting the hand that feeds you I seriously doubt is on immigrations agenda.

Spot on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It's one thing for a person to use an agent to simplify the interface with Immi., especially older expats. I use an agent who handles all of my Immi requirements every year and I pay them 5,000 baht in fees per year for the service. But the agent is legit, I have funds on deposit so the 800k is mine, not the agents plus I'm playing by the Immi. rules.

All of the above is very different from "the agent" who fronts the 800K and helps the applicant obtain their visa when they don't have the necessary 800k. So when we're talking about an agent, I think it's important to distinguish what type of agent is being discussed.

The extension stamp in your passport is no different than one obtained via an agent.

In this case the OP was very clear about using a known agent  -  probably soi Post Office.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

Does that sound a sensible course to take and is there anything I should be aware of before I go to see the agent ?

Always done that for more than a decade. 15K was worth to replace all the hassle, paperworks, time spent in immigration offices and one 90-day visit, and not to mention 800K in a Thai bank earning next to nothing. Money I earned not putting 800K in a Thai bank was more than the agent fees I paid. And when I pay agent fees, I support a lot more people and their aspirations in exchange for their kind act of allowing me to stay in Thailand. For the last two years I am spending the winter in Las Vegas and there is no need to for my 6-month stay anymore. Will do it again if needed. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I would strongly advise against using an agent to front the 800k, they do get caught and people who use such a system get banned for life.

Have done that for almost a decade and nothing happened. Use an agent that will not send your passport outside your immigration jurisdiction. 

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

The extension stamp in your passport is no different than one obtained via an agent.

In this case the OP was very clear about using a known agent  -  probably soi Post Office.

If you go back to the first page and about the third post, you'll see that the OP doesn't want to tie up money in Thailand. The agent may or may not be a known agent but the activity that he's referring to is not compliant with Immi. laws.

• Haha 2

The OP's post seems written to start the old "Agent or not?" argument.

'I'm thinking of using an agent - anything I'm missing?'

Could you please be a little more vague?

How would anyone know if you're missing something?

There have only been dozens of posts about this, many very recent.

Read the threads, call the agent if you have questions.

Ask on the forum if there's a specific issue you can't understand.

Then a 3 week member clutches his pearls for 4 pages, repeating the same nonsense over and over.

The OP and the pearl clutcher got their weekend jollies.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I would strongly advise against using an agent to front the 800k, they do get caught and people who use such a system get banned for life.

You've got some evidence for that bizarre claim?    Can you link to just one report of that happening solely in connection with the 800k?  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You've got some evidence for that bizarre claim?    Can you link to just one report of that happening solely in connection with the 800k?  

Why not read the thread, if you had you would know what one poster wrote, which I agree with:

"There's actually no hard data AFAIK to say how many foreigners get booted out of Thailand on this basis, and I would doubt Immigration is going to publish it.

IMO saying deportations of this nature have never happened is like denying climate change is man-made".

Here's a thought, why not go ask an officer in Immi and see what he says, get it from the horses mouth as it were.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As always, it depends on the agent.  Many include the 90-day reporting.

What bit didn't you understand.

I stated ......

"Think you will find it is an "optional extra" "

Of course it depends on the agent along with client.

Same as reentry permit etc

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Each to their own, if you're prepared to take the risk

Agents and their clients have been "taking the risk" for 30 years to my knowledge and probably much longer than that; I've yet to hear of one single report of anyone "using" only the 800k agent's facility having any issues.  Maybe you can link to something that backs up your assertion?   

Don't forget that the people issuing those extensions are the Immigration Police who are the ones who would investigate those cases that you think exist.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Agents and their clients have been "taking the risk" for 30 years to my knowledge and probably much longer than that; I've yet to hear of one single report of anyone "using" only the 800k agent's facility having any issues.  Maybe you can link to something that backs up your assertion?   

Don't forget that the people issuing those extensions are the Immigration Police who are the ones who would investigate those cases that you think exist.

Ah well, that settles it then, why ever didn't you say so in the first place. If you've never heard of one single report of anyone having any issues, there must be none and that must be the answer.......case closed, jury dismissed!

Lou, it's no skin off my nose what you or anyone else choses to believe or not on this point, I have my visa etc so I'm alright Jack, er Lou. It's a little troubling however that some posters don't think there are serious penalties  for this scam/fraud/tactic and demand proof before they are even willing to think about believing it. Oh well, mind how you go.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have been on a scooter for over 10 years now, accident-free. I must be doing something right.

Yes, it is a high risk activity, all the statistics say so. However, defensive driving can minimize the risk.

With my retirement visa, I minimize the risk as well.

That is your decision. and I respect it. Nearly everything in life involves risk. It is obviously not the lowest risk option, but you ameliorate the risk to a significant degree and clearly assess that the benefits outweigh the residual risk.

That said, the argument that it has not YET happened to you is not totally convincing. Dying once as a result of being smeared over the tarmac (even if it only happens, say, once every 15 years) is not a good outcome. Stay lucky!

I have friends who I really like who are heavy smokers and who (so far) have suffered no obvious major consequences. They assure me that they take care of their health in other ways and are not worried. Maybe, they are right. I gave up smoking 48 years ago, and believe my decision was prudent.

• Haha 1

I see that nerves have been struck, I'm not going back through the same set of arguments all over again, just because you haven't read or understood the thread and the points being made.....sorry, you'll have to find somebody else to be your entertainment....I'm out, byee.

• Haha 2