Flood situation in Phuket is improving

snoop1130

2D2105CA-7DA6-4834-982D-A6EC7EC29199.jpeg

Image Credit: Phuket Provincial Public Relations Office

The flood situation in Phuket has improved today (Monday), after heavy rains caused by a tropical depression.

Floodwater in Phuket has receded from Phuket Old Town, particularly around the clock tower, which was 30cm deep. Currently some roads remain closed for safety reasons.

Some low-lying areas remain inundated, but the floodwater levels have reduced. Three sub-districts in Thalang district are, however, still under water.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/flood-situation-in-phuket-is-improving/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

Are there any local residents of Phuket who are in the area right now and can tell a bit about the flood situation so far today. I ask because I have a wife who has been planning to meet some friends tomorrow for a long time planned, two days midweek hotel break and I am trying to persuade them to postpone this, but as you know ladies who have made up their minds can be difficult to make change their plans????

Felt

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Are there any local residents of Phuket who are in the area right now and can tell a bit about the flood situation so far today. I ask because I have a wife who has been planning to meet some friends tomorrow for a long time planned, two days midweek hotel break and I am trying to persuade them to postpone this, but as you know ladies who have made up their minds can be difficult to make change their plans????

Felt

All seems back normal now

3 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Felt

At least where I am, southern Phuket (Chalong/Rawai) again torrential rain this afternoon (Tuesday)...off and on since morning. Forecast I've seen shows at least 2-3 more days at least.

• Haha 1

In Kamala and no heavy rain since I dragged myself out of my pit at 10am - just light rain and drizzle. Solid cloud cover but reasonably bright and zero precipitation as I write this.

PS (ten minutes later) - now darker and rain steadily increasing. Oh well, such is Phuket in October!

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Thanks for the answers. Rain is no problem the ladies tells me because they have plans for activities other than sunbathing???????? Good that the flood waters have receded, but how is Thepkasattri from Talang to Phuket town. One of these "old charming ladies" is the driver and a Honda City is not exactly the car for "river" driving!

Felt

19 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

and a Honda City is not exactly the car for "river" driving!

Who paid for, who owns it, who will pay expensive repairs if possible at all?

I almost ruined my 3 month old car in Pattaya in 2011.

That's a lesson that I will not forget.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Who paid for, who owns it, who will pay expensive repairs if possible at all?

Is the water still that high???? But to answer your question, in most cases the owner, except the, if any the insurance cover. 

Felt

I searched through Twitter, Facebook and news search (also in Thai),

Parts of the island are still heavy flooded.

Even where the water is only spilling over the traffic is terrible, long jams.

You would have to pay me a fortune to drive to the island with my car now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Well, if all of Phuket is like this, the ladies will be mad at me, because then I will decide if it's gone to be a trip for them or not.

Felt

Technically it looks like they can get through on some routes without experiencing wet feet in the car (like I did). But is it worth?

Edited by KhunBENQ

A Thai news source says that flooding is strong again in Phuket town,Thalang district and Kathu district. Resulted in flooding and heavy traffic congestion.

I saw Patong beach rd. seemingly clear.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Wednesday morning...continued torrential rains over night and continuing through the morning. No let up in sight.

Thanks for first hand report 

Bad news for all in Phuket.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for first hand report 

Bad news for all in Phuket.

This is really unusual...going on almost 2 weeks now. Nothing like the tropical downpours of 30 minutes and then sunny ???? I'm lucky to be on a high point so all the water runs downhill like water off a ducks back ????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

It's been raining heavily for hours now (late Wednesday morning) so I would expect renewed flooding in low lying areas of the island. There have been reports the island's reservoirs may overflow (or need controlled releases) and heaven knows where that water goes.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

19 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Well, if all of Phuket is like this, the ladies will be mad at me, because then I will decide if it's gone to be a trip for them or not.

Felt

Let the ladies have fun. Don't worry it is not that bad today as on sunday.

38 minutes ago, schlog said:

Let the ladies have fun. Don't worry it is not that bad today as on sunday.

Well yes, just hope they have fun and not end stuck in floodwater. Anyway no help in trying to persuade the ladies to postpone their gathering in Phuket so they are well and truly half way to Phuket. On the plus side, I heard earlier today from a local acquaintance in Phuket that at least at that time it was fully passable on Thepkasatri road, but of course that could change either way depending on the weather!

Felt