China's Semiconductor Industry 'Decapitated Overnight': What 'Annihilation Looks Like'

Scott

image.png

The Biden administration unveiled a comprehensive strategy last week to move the U.S. forward and hold China back in the production of advanced semiconductors, virtually eliminating China's semi industry overnight, escalating the high-tech battle with Beijing.

“Every American executive and engineer working in China’s semiconductor manufacturing industry resigned yesterday, paralyzing Chinese manufacturing overnight,” wrote Twitter user @lidangzzz, translated by Rhodium Group analyst Jordan Schneider.

“One round of sanctions from Biden did more damage than all four years of performative sanctioning under Trump.”

https://www.benzinga.com/government/22/10/29273679/chinas-semiconductor-industry-decapitated-overnight-what-annihilation-looks-like

Benzinga Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand
  • Like 1

There are a number of sources but most have a paywall.  This is from Reuters and is a little more comprehensive:

U.S. aims to hobble China's chip industry with sweeping new export rules

Oct 10 (Reuters) - The Biden administration published a sweeping set of export controls on Friday, including a measure to cut China off from certain semiconductor chips made anywhere in the world with U.S. equipment, vastly expanding its reach in its bid to slow Beijing's technological and military advances.

The rules, some of which take immediate effect, build on restrictions sent in letters this year to top toolmakers KLA Corp (KLAC.O), Lam Research Corp (LRCX.O) and Applied Materials Inc (AMAT.O), effectively requiring them to halt shipments of equipment to wholly Chinese-owned factories producing advanced logic chips.

The raft of measures could amount to the biggest shift in U.S. policy toward shipping technology to China since the 1990s. If effective, they could hobble China's chip manufacturing industry by forcing American and foreign companies that use U.S. technology to cut off support for some of China's leading factories and chip designers.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-aims-hobble-chinas-chip-industry-with-sweeping-new-export-rules-2022-10-07/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Credo said:

I suspect that is not exactly accurate.  Green Card Holders can be punished, but a native born American citizen cannot be easily stripped of citizenship.   

I was wondering about that, too. I think you're right. Unless there is an issue of dual citizenship, I don't think that the American govt. can do that.

So where will China look?

"Taiwanese companies account for 50% of the semiconductor world market. The biggest Taiwanese semiconductor company is TSMC (foundry). TSMC makes microchips for Intel, Apple, AMD, Nvidia, and Qualcomm. Other major Taiwanese semiconductor companies are"

https://www.shiphub.co/worlds-top-semiconductors-producers/

Just now, Seppius said:

"Taiwanese companies account for 50% of the semiconductor world market. The biggest Taiwanese semiconductor company is TSMC (foundry). TSMC makes microchips for Intel, Apple, AMD, Nvidia, and Qualcomm. Other major Taiwanese semiconductor companies are"

Not to TSMC. 

3 minutes ago, Seppius said:

The limitations also prohibit the export of chip manufacturing tools and design software and forbid the top silicon fabs in the world, such as Taiwan Semiconductor Mfg. Co. Ltd. and Samsung, from producing cutting-edge chips for Chinese businesses.

WOW. Good on Biden! ( I never thought I'd say that about Biden ).

What is really scary though, is that western countries, especially USA have been aiding and abetting China in it's bid to become a superpower opposed to the west. What the <deleted> were they thinking?

I can only hope it hasn't got to the stage that they can still make the things to equip their own military.

BTW, I doubt China is going to accept this without reciprocating. The obvious move would be to ban exports of rare earth materials to the west, and IMO bang goes the electric car industry among many.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WOW. Good on Biden! ( I never thought I'd say that about Biden ).

What is really scary though, is that western countries, especially USA have been aiding and abetting China in it's bid to become a superpower opposed to the west. What the <deleted> were they thinking?

I can only hope it hasn't got to the stage that they can still make the things to equip their own military.

BTW, I doubt China is going to accept this without reciprocating. The obvious move would be to ban exports of rare earth materials to the west, and IMO bang goes the electric car industry among many.

Retaliation by China is certainly a possibility. However the Chinese economy is already doing a lot worse than it should be thanks to the misrule of Xi.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Anyway, Xi must be really upset with Biden & Son. After paying them off with all those alleged yuan, this is how the Bidens show their gratitude? By imposing a crippling blow on China's economy?

See if it makes any difference to their aggressive, rapid military expansion! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

Retaliation by China is certainly a possibility. However the Chinese economy is already doing a lot worse than it should be thanks to the misrule of Xi.

US inflation 8.2%. China inflation 2.5%. Misrule indeed.

By many accounts, the Chips Act will backfire dramatically. It will set China back a few years but will also hurt America’s allies badly. But that is the usual price a nation has to pay for backing the US. 

More sanctions please… ????

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

By many accounts, the Chips Act will backfire dramatically. It will set China back a few years but will also hurt America’s allies badly. But that is the usual price a nation has to pay for backing the US. 

More sanctions please… ????

Many accounts? Can you list but a few of these "many accounts"? And please, if, as I suspect, you're gonna quote the CCP or RT then don't bother, OK?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Many accounts? Can you list but a few of these "many accounts"? And please, if, as I suspect, you're gonna quote the CCP or RT then don't bother, OK?

https://asiatimes.com/2022/10/china-chip-ban-a-us-exercise-in-extreme-self-harm/

This is one of the most respected experts on China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_P._Goldman

Hopefully the Chinese won't catch up too quick, as the only tool left for "containment" at that point will be war.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

US inflation 8.2%. China inflation 2.5%. Misrule indeed.

If that were the only criteria for judging misrule, you might have a point.

The fact is Xi inherited a vibrant economy from his predecessors and is doing his best to ruin it.

His repeated and massive covid shutdowns for one instead of importing superior vaccines made elsewhere. Presumably out of nationalist pride. By the way, the shutdowns discourage consumption which is one way of suppressing inflation. There have been huge declines in domestic consumption.

China also has a big youth unemployment problem.

About one third of their labor force was in construction that was largely supported by government programs that took no account of market forces. Now there is massive unemployment there.

His latest disaster is food security. He's forcing people in the countryside to grow rice and wheat instead of more profitable crops. Income for these people is plummeting.

Also, to return to CPI. China doesn't disclose how it weights its computations of inflation. As you may know, it can be a capital crime to disclose this information without government approval. So who knows how it really compares to inflation figures elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

https://asiatimes.com/2022/10/china-chip-ban-a-us-exercise-in-extreme-self-harm/

This is one of the most respected experts on China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_P._Goldman

Hopefully the Chinese won't catch up too quick, as the only tool left for "containment" at that point will be war.

Your first source states that the ban on sales of some semiconductors will hurt the chip industry.  That is no surprise, and is considered a price worth paying.

Your second source states that the person stating the obvious in the first source knows what he's talking about.  Ok.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Bluespunk said:

“One of the provisions of President Joe Biden's executive order is that any U.S. citizen or green card holder working in China cannot work in the Chinese semiconductor industry or risk of losing American citizenship.“

Hmm…

I understand getting rid of US citizenship is difficult. This would be a quick fix for those who want to get rid of it.

• Like 1