Thai Tests Positive For Fast-Spreading BQ. 1 Subvariant

webfact

image.jpeg
A graphic image of Covid.19. Credit: Everydayhealth.com

Author: TNR Staff

A THAI citizen has been found to be infected one of two descendants of Omicron’s BA.5 subvariant, called BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, that are adept at dodging the protective antibodies from prior infection or vaccination and spread faster, TV Channel 7 said this morning (Oct. 18).

This new case emerged after two Thais returning from Hong Kong and Singapore were found to be infected with the new XBB variant.

The Centre for Medical Genomics of Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, said GSAID, the global data science initiative, has discovered the BQ.1 case in Thailand.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CBS News on Friday that the two descendants of Omicron’s BA.5 subvariant, BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, both have dangerous “qualities or characteristics that could evade some of the interventions we have,” CNBC reported.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/10/18/thai-tests-positive-for-fast-spreading-bq-1-subvariant/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Why do viruses spread more in winter? Cold temps are key

"For many, cold weather just isn’t our thing, which is why we spend some much time huddled indoors. And that makes it easier for the common cold, the flu and COVID-19 to spread— especially the highly transmissible variant, Omicron."

"the virus that causes COVID-19, with its potent variants, has proven to strike year-round, regardless of season.

Risks for infection can also increase based on where we spend most of our time during the winter: indoors. Here, we gather closely in spaces that may offer less-than-ideal ventilation and cramped personal space. Heating systems also make indoor air drier. Studies have shown that these conditions can greatly affect the transmission of respiratory viruses."

https://www.horizonhealthnews.com/why-do-viruses-spread-more-in-winter-cold-temps-are-key/

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, just getting vaccinated and boosted, trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, wearing a face mask when close around others when indoors, and trying to maintain social distancing around others when possible probably is a better approach.

Hasn't made a difference has it?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Got Covid now, caught it a week ago, finally, after all this time.

It is like a cold for me, upper chest mainly. Fever for 2 days, then becomes just an annoyance keeping you isolated at home.

I had my Pfizer dose number 4 only two weeks prior.

It does not keep you from getting Covid, but it keeps you from getting deathly ill.

I'm still very glad I did.

Errrrr...are you sure it's covid?

Did a 25 baht test tell you?????????

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, just getting vaccinated and boosted, trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, wearing a face mask when close around others when indoors, and trying to maintain social distancing around others when possible probably is a better approach.

You got it spot on... self protect and use common sense.

11 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Hasn't made a difference has it?

I've followed those public health COVID prevention measures pretty seriously since the outset, including wearing an N95 mask whenever I'm around others away from home...

And now nearly three years into the pandemic, with an estimated 15-20 million people worldwide dead from COVID, I've yet to catch the virus, thankfully.

So yes, in my experience, following sound public health advice does make a difference.

• Like 1