Benefits of Returning to UK with a Thai family?

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Landlords will usually want to see bank statements and three years worth of salary pay slips to show you can afford the rent 

it certainly can be challenging renting in the UK at the moment, for a number of reasons, but that’s on top of proving the right to rent.

Mate... really it is your call.  Do what is best for you and family.. Certainly education would be better, however, bias and prejudice towards Asians in your country must be factored in the move... the children will appreciate it.

Edited by Rhys

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

No, wrong.  My daughter's restaurant is in a very nice and (relatively) low-cost rural area. She can assist with low cost accommodation.  She is currently looking for a couple of shift managers - the pay is well above minimum wage.  There just are not the workers around to do these jobs. A lot of these types of roles were previously undertaken by East Europeans and many have left the UK. 

There is plenty of money circulating around in the UK economy. Her restaurant is not cheap and she's increased prices quite sharply recently but its still surprisingly full most days. Getting enough staff is the issue.

So you and your daughter are HiSo's. ????????

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I only asked because back in 2001 it was a h ell of a job getting my Thai wife into UK.

It wasn't easy for my friend who now lives with his Thai wife in UK as recently as 5 years ago. 

Really? My Thai wife (now ex) came to the UK on a Fiance visa in 2001 and we married immediately. Got temporary leave to remain for 1 year and was able to work. Got national insurance number etc. Next year got indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship by 2005. Shockingly easy and only about £800 in total at that time. Of course, now is so much more difficult for many reasons fair or unfair. Would not do it now. 

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Really? My Thai wife (now ex) came to the UK on a Fiance visa in 2001 and we married immediately. Got temporary leave to remain for 1 year and was able to work. Got national insurance number etc. Next year got indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship by 2005. Shockingly easy and only about £800 in total at that time. Of course, now is so much more difficult for many reasons fair or unfair. Would not do it now. 

Yes really my wife still after 22 years didn't have the the same experience, my wife could of stayed after 2 years but she didn't want to she is typically Thai and wanting to be back with her family.

Frankly that is what i wanted my wife to experience in the UK and Thai people she met she found weird brainwashed into the type of living style and the money thing in UK because it was even more easy as borrowing economy. 

In my wife's words it was so nice to of been there and see London.

Downside was it was cold, unfriendly in general and she would never leave Thailand to be in such a place. 

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

That attitude behind that kind of ad hominem comment is a good illustration of why the OP should bring up his kids in the UK rather than Thailand.  My daughter is definitely not HiSo. She really struggled academically at the UK Comprehensive school that she attended. She left at 16 and trained to be a hairdresser. Set up her own small shop, worked hard and made decent money for a few years. Really wanted to get into the restaurant business so took a job in a restaurant in the evenings to learn. After a couple of years rented her own place. Started small but eight years later its grown into a successful business with a good reputation. She didn't need to be a HiSo.

But my main point is that its not all doom and gloom in the UK - don't believe everything you read in Daily Mail. UK GDP (and per capita GDP) is about four times greater than Thailand.  For a youngster there are vastly greater opportunities. And there are many vacancies for skilled workers.  If the OP has a trade (electrician, plumber, plasterer, motor mechanic etc) then he will find a job quite easily at a good rate of pay and health and technical professionals are very much sought after.

As regards getting a visa for the wife,  its tedious but not actually that difficult if you follow the rules. My wife now has UK citizenship. In her case it took about 6-7 years from first arriving in UK and spending the maximum amount of time allowed out of the country. Mostly its a case of collecting documents and filling in forms - which I did for her.  Hardest bit is the Life in the UK test.   My wife's English is poor and she only had about five years education in Thailand - but she passed LITUK test first time. She just sat in front of the computer going through practice questions every day for six weeks prior to the test. 

I think Thailand's a great place for retirement after a successful career in the West and with a good pension and few million THB safety net. But for youngsters a Western education is a huge benefit and you'll find most wealthy Thais aspire to a Western education for their kids.

Well jokes apart i don't need to blow my trumpet I'll try to be serious which is not my scene this days.

Fortunately all my 5 kids in uk from 3 marriages are doing OK but i cannot see many of them wanting to retire in UK. 

They don't kid themselves they all say the countries in a complete mess. 

My 2 kids here are doing well too in work but don't have the problems that people's in UK do.

I think the OP's reasons for considering migrating to the UK are admirable but there could hardly be a worse time to be considering such a move. 

The economy is in a horrendous mess thanks to a succession of acts of self harm by a government which is in a state of perpetual chaos.

• Haha 1

Luckily we moved back when it was easy ,had a home to go to,our son was5 went to a nice school until he was 12,then the school he had to go to was awfull ,i know he was an immigrant,but this lot were so bad they had to have police at the gates going home time, we decided to leave the Uk for good,the town was now a horrible place,full of non British shall we say,anyway sold up 17 yrs ago came back ,son went to private school then uni and now has a fantastic very well paid job .

My wife and son loved the UK travelled all over ,but now we own a lovely 3 bed det house in Pattaya. Been back quite a few times ,its not the country i grew up in ,my old home town now is a foreign land.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I think the OP's reasons for considering migrating to the UK are admirable but there could hardly be a worse time to be considering such a move. 

The economy is in a horrendous mess thanks to a succession of acts of self harm by a government which is in a state of perpetual chaos.

The UK is in a mess but it's not alone i thought it was the world economy that was in a mess. 

Seems like some people's have forgotten covid already. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The UK is in a mess but it's not alone i thought it was the world economy that was in a mess. 

Seems like some people's have forgotten covid already. 

Forget COVID

Forget Putin

Every problem the UK has ever had, or ever will have was because of the evil Conservative BREXIT.

Once a Labour government has rejoined the EU all the UKs problems will be gone forever.

Now if only they could convince someone to vote Labour ........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Forget COVID

Forget Putin

Every problem the UK has ever had, or ever will have was because of the evil Conservative BREXIT.

Once a Labour government has rejoined the EU all the UKs problems will be gone forever.

Now if only they could convince someone to vote Labour ........................

The leader of the Labour party should change the name of the party. 

On LBC today KS he confirmed to a caller talking to him that the Labour party fully supports brexit and will never ask to rejoin. 

Why would you want to have France telling you what to do,  who the USA has confirmed is an alie of the USA. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

The leader of the Labour party should change the name of the party. 

On LBC today KS he confirmed to a caller talking to him that the Labour party fully supports brexit and will never ask to rejoin. 

Why would you want to have France telling you what to do,  who the USA has confirmed is an alie of the USA. 

Why do you think the UK being in the EU means "France telling you what to do"  but wouldn't involve the UK telling France what to do. Surely both are equally applicable?  

Why did Belgium, say, or Portugal never complain about the UK "telling them what to do?"

Edited by partington

6 minutes ago, partington said:

Why do you think the UK being in the EU means "France telling you what to do"  but wouldn't involve the UK telling France what to do. Surely both are equally applicable?  

Why did Belgium, say, or Portugal never complain about the UK "telling them what to do?"

To put it simply France, Germany, Belgium etc had control over many things in the UK being member, by getting out UK has the freedom to do what it wants. 

Northern Ireland is a problem so let southern Ireland join with them in EU and cut off from UK simple problem done Brexit done. 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, FrankThePlumber said:

(I would be going down the public housing route in the UK),

What is the situation like with council accommodation in the North of UK ?

In London you would be given a room in a hostel to live in and be put on the list for a council flat , a list which would take many years to actually get an offer of a flat , quite likely your kids will be adults before you reach the top of the list 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is the situation like with council accommodation in the North of UK ?

In London you would be given a room in a hostel to live in and be put on the list for a council flat , a list which would take many years to actually get an offer of a flat , quite likely your kids will be adults before you reach the top of the list 

Bloody hell, you mean they won't put the family in a hotel with 3 meals a day? Access to health care and dentist, money everyday for fags etc! Country has certainly gone to the dogs!????

10 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Bloody hell, you mean they won't put the family in a hotel with 3 meals a day? Access to health care and dentist, money everyday for fags etc! Country has certainly gone to the dogs!????

From my experience :

A single mother with two young kids was given a room in a hostel in a rough part of town and she had to check in daily to keep that room and it was over an hours journey to her kids school .

Another single mother with four kids was given an emergency two bedroom flat and put on the list for a council flat and its estimated that it would be a good few years before she would get close to the top of the list . By that time her kids will be grown up and she would lose her edibility or move down the list .

A married working couple would stand little chance of getting a council flat (in London)

58 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

From my experience :

A single mother with two young kids was given a room in a hostel in a rough part of town and she had to check in daily to keep that room and it was over an hours journey to her kids school .

Another single mother with four kids was given an emergency two bedroom flat and put on the list for a council flat and its estimated that it would be a good few years before she would get close to the top of the list . By that time her kids will be grown up and she would lose her edibility or move down the list .

A married working couple would stand little chance of getting a council flat (in London)

Single mothers really lose their flavour after a few years.  Better to buy something at the supermarket.