Jury finds Kevin Spacey not liable for battery

Scott

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I have a 14 year old daughter right now, I also looked after my other daughter when she was 14. They are not ready for a sexual relationship and certainly not marriage.

I have a 24yo daughter and a 13yo daughter.

The 24yo isn't ready for a sexual relationship, but the 13yo is ready.

We've already had to give the 13yo the 'if you have sex, you'll be back in the village' speech.

Different people have different personalities.

As for Kevin Spacey, 'American Beauty' was one of the best movies ever made.

That and 'Fight Club' changed my life. I don't really care what he did in his private life, the rich and famous are expected to be a bit more naughty than the rest of us.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We've already had to give the 13yo the 'if you have sex, you'll be back in the village' speech.

That and 'Fight Club' changed my life. I don't really care what he did in his private life, the rich and famous are expected to be a bit more naughty than the rest of us.

I suggest you read up on good parenting, child development, sexual and emotional development in children & adolescents before you claim a 13 year old is ready and mature enough for sexual relations. Not to mention the legality.

'if you have sex, you'll be back in the village speech" are not the only consequences.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yea, as some are using 'sex w/child' ... sorry, but a 14 yr old teen, knows exactly what's up, and usually wanting to have sex, as it's all around them, plus the peer pressure.

I knew exactly what I was doing at 14, maybe not the most responsible teen, but was definitely having fun.

Agree, Spacey is an amazing actor, and AB deserved all the accolades it received.

Innocent till proven guilty.  Hope he sues everyone that he possibly can.

Anyone else find it ironic, that the actor that was so off put by Spacey's advances, now plays an very convincing gay character on the Star Trek, with intimacy displays.

If all the gals complained about all the passes I made on them, I'd still be in jail.????

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, as some are using 'sex w/child' ... sorry, but a 14 yr old teen, knows exactly what's up, and usually wanting to have sex, as it's all around them, plus the peer pressure.

I knew exactly what I was doing at 14, maybe not the most responsible teen, but was definitely having fun.

Agree, Spacey is an amazing actor, and AB deserved all the accolades it received.

Innocent till proven guilty.  Hope he sues everyone that he possibly can.

Anyone else find it ironic, that the actor that was so off put by Spacey's advances, now plays an very convincing gay character on the Star Trek, with intimacy displays.

If all the gals complained about all the passes I made on them, I'd still be in jail.????

This is not about making passes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you consider your 13 year old daughter is ready as you say to have sex, is she also ready to get pregnant? Or are you flying on a 13 year old to take birth control. Perhaps you need to think this through a little more. Right back to what it means being a parent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I am incredulous that people think this is comparable to making a pass at a girl when they were 14 years old themselves.

UK law gives a bit of wiggle room, if shes over 14 and you're under 25.

Most EU countries were OK with sex if they were both over 13 in the 1980s.

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing to do with the case in hand and the earlier comments.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

wiggle room, really. Link to that? Your daughter is also only 13, oh wait more wiggle room I suppose

A flame has been removed, please take careful note of the following:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

If you consider your 13 year old daughter is ready as you say to have sex, is she also ready to get pregnant? Or are you flying on a 13 year old to take birth control. Perhaps you need to think this through a little more. Right back to what it means being a parent.

My daughter got her period at 11, and thankfully, had a bit of an acne problem shortly after.  Part of the treatment I prescribed for her was birth control (Diane35), so we dodged that one.

Also 2nd house was built for 2nd floor expansion in mind.  Just had to throw up some walls & ceiling, and instant 160m² house for her ... JIC.  Thankfully didn't need that ether.

Best advice I ever received ... If a parent, and you're concerned about you kid having sex or using drugs, and thinking it's time to have that talk, you're already 3-5 yrs too late.

Most people I know/knew were thinking about sex at very early teen years, 13, if not younger.

This is the real world we're dealing, kid do drugs, they have sex, and more than a few act inappropriately toward each other, and borderline criminal.

Jury thought Spacey did not ... end of.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My daughter got her period at 11, and thankfully, had a bit of an acne problem shortly after.  Part of the treatment I prescribed for her was birth control (Diane35), so we dodged that one.

Also 2nd house was built for 2nd floor expansion in mind.  Just had to throw up some walls & ceiling, and instant 160m² house for her ... JIC.  Thankfully didn't need that ether.

Best advice I ever received ... If a parent, and you're concerned about you kid having sex or using drugs, and thinking it's time to have that talk, you're already 3-5 yrs too late.

Most people I know/knew were thinking about sex at very early teen years, 13, if not younger.

This is the real world we're dealing, kid do drugs, they have sex, and more than a few act inappropriately toward each other, and borderline criminal.

Beyond me why you keep comparing Spacey's behaviour to that of teenagers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The poster I was responding to was not talking about Spacey, he was talking about his 13 year old daughter ready for sex. I responded to that already and stick by it. the thought that his only concern is what the village gossip may be is beyond reason and beyond the welfare of a normal emotionally developing young girl.

16 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

The poster I was responding to was not talking about Spacey, he was talking about his 13 year old daughter ready for sex. I responded to that already and stick by it. the thought that his only concern is what the village gossip may be is beyond reason and beyond the welfare of a normal emotionally developing young girl.

I realize who & what you were responding to.  As parents/guardians, we can't be with them all the time.  Takes mere minutes, and a new life is among us.  At least teens can plead ignorance, adults not so much.  I would think his concerns go way beyond what the neighbors would think or the consequence we tell our kids.  

I did the same, don't do anything stupid, or you be back at your grandparents.  Of course I would never do that, but if she thought it, if one more level of consequences for her to think about, then yea, let her think that.

There are 10's of millions of abortions, or so I read, a good portion of them are teens, not thinking, and most of the rest, adult not thinking.

On topic ... let's not forget, this was a civil (all about $$$$) case, not a criminal charge.  And 37 yrs ago, 1986, also during Spacey's 1st credited role in a bit part.

Not yet the multi millionaire worth pursuing a lawsuits against.  Along with that all of 1 hour to decide to dismiss the case, and a bit telling in itself.  Seems not a whole lot of thought needed.  Rapp couldn't even describe the apartment accurately where it allegedly happened. 

Hopefully Stacey will get his $31 million back, since this turned out to be a big nothing.

Headliners .... Bit of a pattern, sue the millionaire decades later.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

On topic ... let's not forget, this was a civil (all about $$$$) case, not a criminal charge.  And 37 yrs ago, 1986, also during Spacey's 1st credited role in a bit part.

Spacey has previously admitted the event took place. 

He was an adult and the child was only 14 years old. 

True he was found not guilty, how fortunate for him, but what happened cannot be considered to have involved informed consent. 

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I realize who & what you were responding to.  As parents/guardians, we can't be with them all the time.  Takes mere minutes, and a new life is among us.  At least teens can plead ignorance, adults not so much.  I would think his concerns go way beyond what the neighbors would think or the consequence we tell our kids.  

I did the same, don't do anything stupid, or you be back at your grandparents.  Of course I would never do that, but if she thought it, if one more level of consequences for her to think about, then yea, let her think that.

There are 10's of millions of abortions, or so I read, a good portion of them are teens, not thinking, and most of the rest, adult not thinking.

Not yet the multi millionaire worth pursuing a lawsuits against.  Along with that all of 1 hour to decide to dismiss the case, and a bit telling in itself.  Seems not a whole lot of thought needed.  Rapp couldn't even describe the apartment accurately where it allegedly happened. 

Hopefully Stacey will get his $31 million back, since this turned out to be a big nothing.

Headliners .... Bit of a pattern, sue the millionaire decades later.

I amazed at how much you know what the poster I was responding thought. 

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Spacey has previously admitted the event took place. 

He was an adult and the child was only 14 years old. 

True he was found not guilty, how fortunate for him, but what happened cannot be considered to have involved informed consent. 

"Child" ... you mean the teen.  People keeping saying child, implies very young.  14 is not when it comes to sex.  Put it in the proper context.   Spin spin spin ... save that for the extremely ignorant.

Yes it is someone's child, but so is my daughter, and she's 23. 

Along with stating ... he wasn't found 'not guilty', the case was dismissed.   Huge difference.   Meaning to me, it probably should have never made it to the docket.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

I amazed at how much you know what the poster I was responding thought. 

He's a very caring guardian (not legally) and I can relate.  You apparently don't follow our post close enough to understand that, or you wouldn't have responded in the above.

Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Child" ... you mean the teen.  People keeping saying child, implies very young.  14 is not when it comes to sex.  Put it in the proper context.   Spin spin spin ... save that for the extremely ignorant.

Yes it is someone's child, but so is my daughter, and she's 23. 

Along with stating ... he wasn't found 'not guilty', the case was dismissed.   Huge difference.   Meaning to me, it probably should have never made it to the docket.

I mean a child. A14 year old is a child. 

What am I spinning, the event happened and the child was 14 years old.

They are facts. 

Good point on his being found not liable rather than not guilty.

This leaves open the opportunity to argue he is guilty.

Thank you for that… 

Edited by Bluespunk
Layout

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

He's a very caring guardian (not legally) and I can relate.  You apparently don't follow our post close enough to understand that, or you wouldn't have responded in the above.

Have a nice day.

Is he? ok I take your word for it, I have followed his and your posts thanks. As long as caring guardian remains that way if his 13 year old has a child and her life is ruined. 

6 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Is he? ok I take your word for it, I have followed his and your posts thanks. As long as caring guardian remains that way if his 13 year old has a child and her life is ruined. 

Having a child at any age, does not ruin a life, simply complicates it, if young and not exactly ready.   Remember, "it takes a village" or so I read.

Better than discarding as medical waste.

I can't even squeeze in 'on topic' on this one ... so read fast.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Having a child at any age, does not ruin a life, simply complicates it, if young and not exactly ready.   Remember, "it takes a village" or so I read.

Better than discarding as medical waste.

I can't even squeeze in 'on topic' on this one ... so read fast.

You would need to be a 13 year old with a baby to have a view on that, then ask her again after a few years. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Wanting to have sex and thinking about getting pregnant are apparently 2 different things, given the furore about abortion in the USA. If many females in the US don't think about the consequences of having sex, why does anyone expect females in Thailand to do so?

In a perfect world no young teenagers would have sex and only mature women that can afford to have children would do so, but we don't live in a perfect world.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, coolcarer said:

I'd certainly prefer a young daughter to use contraception if they couldn't say no. Far better than them getting pregnant.

My partner put her daughter on the pill and I thought that was a good idea.

Hasn't been brought up, but it takes two to make a baby, so I hope those posters with young boys have had the "talk" with them.

However, this is somewhat off topic so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wanting to have sex and thinking about getting pregnant are apparently 2 different things, given the furore about abortion in the USA. If many females in the US don't think about the consequences of having sex, why does anyone expect females in Thailand to do so?

In a perfect world no young teenagers would have sex and only mature women that can afford to have children would do so, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Isn’t that precisely what I’m saying. To a 13 year old girl they are two different things, to a parent or teacher they are very much the same and form part of the same discussion that should had on consequences that the 13 year old needs to be very aware of, because it could change her life forever.

5 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Isn’t that precisely what I’m saying. To a 13 year old girl they are two different things, to a parent or teacher they are very much the same and form part of the same discussion that should had on consequences that the 13 year old needs to be very aware of, because it could change her life forever.

It may be different today, but sex ed when I was at school was a bad joke. Consisted of one teacher telling us to buy a bed with a footboard, and another asking me is I preferred round or pointed breasts ie I didn't get any sex ed at school.

Father never discussed it with me. Mother attempted to but was just embarrassing.

Personally, I think all the talk in the world never stopped 2 young people bonking without caring about contraception if they had the opportunity.

PS

Oops, just remembered that I was going to give that subject a pass as off topic. Will try to remember next time.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It may be different today, but sex ed when I was at school was a bad joke. Consisted of one teacher telling us to buy a bed with a footboard, and another asking me is I preferred round or pointed breasts ie I didn't get any sex ed at school.

Father never discussed it with me. Mother attempted to but was just embarrassing.

Personally, I think all the talk in the world never stopped 2 young people bonking without caring about contraception if they had the opportunity.

PS

Oops, just remembered that I was going to give that subject a pass as off topic. Will try to remember next time.

Yes different today and yes you did say before it was off topic