Switching branches/bank

Virtualrecluse

I've had an account at Bangkok Bank (unnamed very downtown branch) for years. Over that time, the service has gone from respectful and welcoming to indifferent and now simply disdainful. So I'm wondering whether to a) change my account to a different branch or b) switch to a different bank (KTB or SCB) at which I already hold an account and where customers are treated in a more fitting way. However, I believe that when it comes to receiving payment from abroad for the purpose of visa extensions etc. Bangkok Bank is the clearing house through which all international payments are channeled. Is this the case and, if so, is it wisest to stick with them albeit a different branch?

Any pointers? In addition, are there are banks, or specific branches, where you feel the customer service is exemplary?

1.  You can not move account to a different branch - you must set up a new account.

2.  Bangkok Bank is useful for Wise transfers as they have an account there and can mark transfer as international if they flag it.  But any bank account could be used - just extra paperwork to prove original funds came from outside Thailand.

3.  If you already hold another bank account nothing preventing you moving funds into that account (unless now using funds for extension and they have to remain in account).  No need to close account - just take out all the money.

With all of the threads and posts about Wise/Bangkok. bank international transaction problems I personally would not go there.

I use Wise/Kbank for my transfers, Kbank will email credit advice/receipts on request so for immigration I go to bank one time for bank letter , statement and bankbook update in basement at CW.

Too easy.

Ensure your recipient bank account name is same as your passport prevents ID issues with your transactions 

Edited by norbra

Your account does not reside in any particular branch, rather it is lodged in the bank  central computer in Bangkok. So if you want to try another branch it is no problem. I personally do not find staff in any bank or branch to be particularly helpful or indeed interested in customers.

7 minutes ago, brommers said:

Your account does not reside in any particular branch, rather it is lodged in the bank  central computer in Bangkok. So if you want to try another branch it is no problem. I personally do not find staff in any bank or branch to be particularly helpful or indeed interested in customers.

Actually his account at a Bangkok Bank branch is specific to that branch (the first 3 digits of the account number).  Using another branch in same province should not be an issue but that account will be tied to that province and out of area fees charged if applicable for use in another area.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually his account at a Bangkok Bank branch is specific to that branch (the first 3 digits of the account number).  Using another branch in same province should not be an issue but that account will be tied to that province and out of area fees charged if applicable for use in another area.

This is my experience too.

8 hours ago, norbra said:

With all of the threads and posts about Wise/Bangkok. bank international transaction problems I personally would not go there.

I use Wise/Kbank for my transfers, Kbank will email credit advice/receipts on request so for immigration I go to bank one time for bank letter , statement and bankbook update in basement at CW.

Too easy.

Ensure your recipient bank account name is same as your passport prevents ID issues with your transactions 

I found out in April this year that Bangkok Bank Statements for immigration purposes have to come from Head Office in Bangkok and took the best part of a week to obtain them - so in future I will allow for this delay. My visa agency also recommended trying another bank as in their experience statements are printed out & endorsed in the branch. (That Bank's name escapes me for now but will update response later - It may well of been Kbank).

14 hours ago, Derek B said:

I found out in April this year that Bangkok Bank Statements for immigration purposes have to come from Head Office in Bangkok and took the best part of a week to obtain them - so in future I will allow for this delay. My visa agency also recommended trying another bank as in their experience statements are printed out & endorsed in the branch. (That Bank's name escapes me for now but will update response later - It may well of been Kbank).

Simply not true. For more years that I can remember I have obtained the necessary letters/documents from Bangkok Bank, KSK, signed off by staff.

Never waited  more than 15 minutes for an employee to go to a computer located in the rear of the office and print them out. I then proceed to Immigration. Every BB account is on their computer system. 

Of course KSK branch is now closed and most of the staff relocated to a bank owned branch at Chang Phuak, a few 100 metres north of the moat on the road to City Hall, LHS ,plenty of parking.

I visited the bank some weeks ago and was met at the entrance by Khun Sombat, Assistant Manager and long time contact and friend, who assured me it was business as usual and I could expect the documents to be provided on the spot when required.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Simply not true. For more years that I can remember I have obtained the necessary letters/documents from Bangkok Bank, KSK, signed off by staff.

Actually it is true - Bangkok Bank branch can not issue more than a six month statement of account - for anything longer they must obtain from Bangkok Hqs.  What they can do is issue normal bank letters of account ownership/balance - which if using an Embassy letter of income is normally all that is required.

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

do you really need to go into a bank these days? All done online.

Not possible to open a bank account online . 

Problems can occur that you need to visit your bank to have rectified .

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it is true - Bangkok Bank branch can not issue more than a six month statement of account - for anything longer they must obtain from Bangkok Hqs.  What they can do is issue normal bank letters of account ownership/balance - which if using an Embassy letter of income is normally all that is required.

Mine is a fixed deposit for marriage visa, far less complicated and method used by most. Of course I also  provide the actual passbook updated on the day and photo copies. 

23 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Never waited  more than 15 minutes for an employee to go to a computer located in the rear of the office and print them out. I then proceed to Immigration. Every BB account is on their computer system. 

Of course KSK branch is now closed and most of the staff relocated to a bank owned branch at Chang Phuak, a few 100 metres north of the moat on the road to City Hall, LHS ,plenty of parking.

I visited the bank some weeks ago and was met at the entrance by Khun Sombat, Assistant Manager and long time contact and friend, who assured me it was business as usual and I could expect the documents to be provided on the spot when required.

My exact same experience.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. In my case, I have a fixed deposit acct (separated from the checking account), when I needed I just went to the BKB KSK branch, asked "letter for immigration", and got it within 5 minutes for 100B. With that, I would proceed directly to Imm, never any problem. I have been assured it will be the same service at the BKB Chang Pueak  branch where the KSK accounts have been relocated.

9 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. In my case, I have a fixed deposit acct (separated from the checking account), when I needed I just went to the BKB KSK branch, asked "letter for immigration", and got it within 5 minutes for 100B. With that, I would proceed directly to Imm, never any problem. I have been assured it will be the same service at the BKB Chang Pueak  branch where the KSK accounts have been relocated.

No we are not - post had not mentioned that - the bank letter of ownership/balance is available most places on request.  But one year statement of account which many require now, since some embassies will not issue letters of income and new requirements to keep account funded all year for retirement bank account method, has to be obtained from Bangkok Bank Hqs taking a few days.