One Man and the River: A mission that triggered tidal wave of criticism

webfact

image.jpeg

Tomorrow (Oct 22), singer-cum-actor Phakin “Tono” Khamwilaisak will brave strong criticism – and even stronger currents of the Mekong – in his bid to swim across the border on his “One Man and the River” charitable mission.

“My causes mean so much more [than the hurtful flak],” an emotional Tono said earlier this week after his swimming challenge sparked controversy on social media.

Over the past month, the 36-year-old heartthrob’s charity swim has raised more than 6 million baht for two hospitals on either side of the Mekong – one in Thailand’s Nakhon Phanom and the other in Laos’s Khammouane.

So what’s the fuss all about?

But Tono’s good intentions have not been enough to save him from a wave of criticism. Some critics warn that his mission is dangerous in a Mekong whose ferocious currents have been swollen by monsoon rain. The daredevil swim puts not just his own life at risk, but also those of the rescue team on standby in case he gets into trouble, they say.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/one-man-and-the-river-a-mission-that-triggered-tidal-wave-of-criticism/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

I need to do some Googling, because I was sure he's not just swimming straight across.  15 km is absolutely insane.   5 km I understand and have done before with a wetsuit.   10 km, never, and seems ridiculous.  15 km, wow.   

-------------------

The 36 year old revealed that he would swim 15 kilometres across the Mekong River starting from the Naga Monument in the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom to Sikhottabong Stupa in Laos on Saturday, October 22.

At no point is the river there more than 1km across, so I suspect much of it will be covering a lot of that distance traveling downstream with the current, which he simply has to swim across. Fair play to him though, because while he has proved already to be a competent swimmer, that will be fast flowing water.

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

I need to do some Googling, because I was sure he's not just swimming straight across.  15 km is absolutely insane.   5 km I understand and have done before with a wetsuit.   10 km, never, and seems ridiculous.  15 km, wow.   

-------------------

The 36 year old revealed that he would swim 15 kilometres across the Mekong River starting from the Naga Monument in the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom to Sikhottabong Stupa in Laos on Saturday, October 22.

He could be swimming 5km in a straight line, but perhaps is adding the how far he'll be pushed down river by the current.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

But Tono’s good intentions have not been enough to save him from a wave of criticism. Some critics warn that his mission is dangerous in a Mekong whose ferocious currents have been swollen by monsoon rain. The daredevil swim puts not just his own life at risk, but also those of the rescue team on standby in case he gets into trouble, they say.

If the rescue team/boat stays close to him with lifeguards and life saving buoyancy aids what's the problem

It's a sad day when individuals have to raise money for hospitals when there are "leaders" who waste time, money and effort on rubbish like submarines, masks that match their suits, luxury watches, etc. etc. etc.