Bangkok announces air pollution curbing measures

webfact

Throwback to the time a few years ago when officials sprayed water in the air because they throughly it would help. Not forgetting the giant extractor fans that put at a few places.

Unfortunately Bangkok is too far gone  thanks to cheap car loans introduced in the Taksin era and successive years of banks pushing high borrowing to Thais desperate to keep face show off material possessions. 

Now everyone has a car in a city that doesn’t have the planning or management to cope.

• Thumbs Up 2

announced, but no real solutions.. Start with all old cars and busses. Take them off the road and change them for electrical cars... The government can make money free to subside this project. Another thing is more public transport and promote it so less motorcycles will be used ...We went to Paris and it is amazing that there are almost no diesel/petrol cars in gthe city anymore. And of course drive on a highway and see how many trucks still drive with black smoke although several crackdowns have been made.. But do now a real crackdown and stop them , let it repair before they can go futher with a big fine.....   In no time black smoe cars are gone as nobody likes to pay and wait till it is repaired.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said it would be taking stringent measures to control air pollution caused by fumes released from vehicles, factories, and farms, to mitigate the haze disaster that has become a seasonal occurrence in the capital city.

Not the worlds most famous city.. surely?

Bangkok has always had air pollution issues.  Good thing most Thais and expats have N95 style masks

to wear on these bad air days.  EV are subject to catching on fire if they get too much water on those

very expensive, non recycle batteries. Plus the electricity needed to charge the hordes of these EVs

may be more than the grid can take. Just my opinion on EVs, I would rather have a hybrid vehicle.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, RandolphGB said:

Throwback to the time a few years ago when officials sprayed water in the air because they throughly it would help. Not forgetting the giant extractor fans that put at a few places.

Unfortunately Bangkok is too far gone  thanks to cheap car loans introduced in the Taksin era and successive years of banks pushing high borrowing to Thais desperate to keep face show off material possessions. 

Now everyone has a car in a city that doesn’t have the planning or management to cope.

Easy to blame mostly petrol clean and modern cars that give independence and freedom. The real culprits are ancient City buses spewing diesel fumes, factories making chemicals and uncontrolled agricultural burning blowing over the city. 

Edited by soi3eddie

in bkk already hoovering around orange/red. 

that is pollution from china. I would imagine they are increasingly using cheaper coal with higher sulphur content.

For that this winter might be worse the the previous.

Just wait another month or two, when now flooded provinces will start burning fields and jungle.  

• Thumbs Up 1

northerly monsoon, which has already started several weeks ago, brings high pressure dry and cold air from china. Cold and dry atmosphere traps small pollutants in the air. Strong winds below stratosphere transport this fine dust over thousands kilometres.

Because of energy crisis caused by war in europe send prices of coal 3x, the low grade and unprocessed coal (that with high sulphur) will be back on market not only for commercial use, but for the incoming heating season for homes. Governments are allowing now to use this polluted coal and lowering taxes on them. 

They will also be burning rubbish - including plastic, rubber. That will also be increasingly happening in Isaan and north of thailand, when temperatures further drop to uncomfortable levels.

Only some industries will switch from coal to gas or liquid fuels, but that needs time and large investments for new installations. They will be buying them from russia below Brent market price, but there is limited capacity to transport and store them in China and Thailand. 

The majority of individual households in china and thailand would not switch, they are on poverty line.

That's why this year might be worse than the previous years. The next year they might already switch from coal to gas and oil and possibly war will be over (thus lowering coal prices).

I am sorry, I don't have links. That is my understanding from what I read in popular press over years

But will they be able to get the police to actually pull over, fine and confiscate cars and trucks belching huge black clouds of smoke, due to heinous diesel engines that are not properly maintained? That could help alot. Get the cops to do some actual law enforcement work!