Voa from USA, wanting to stay 48-59 days

I'm looking to come to Thailand in Dec for 45-55 days on visa on entry with Thai wife.   We do plan to go to Angkor Wat during last 30 days of the trip.   Just worried if my return ticket leaving Thailand is over the 45 days.   Will say Delta or United let me board?  It appears the Thai IOs don't care much.   Airfare is looking pretty high compared to ore COVID.   Haven't been in Thailand since 2020.   TIA

A bit confused. If you are US citizen, you cannot get "visa on entry", you will get visa exempt which at the moment grants 45 days with the possibility to extend by another 30 days.

Not clear how you want to fit the Cambodia leg into this, but if you exit Thailand you will terminate the permission to stay. If you fly back via Thailand, then either you get another visa exempt and stay as needed before your return flight, or you transit staying within the airport on the same day in which case there's probably no need of a new arrival stamp.

As for the airlines policy, I am not familiar with those but perhaps others here have experience or you should simply call them.

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Just worried if my return ticket leaving Thailand is over the 45 days.   Will say Delta or United let me board?

The airline may ask to see an onward flight.

Hopefully by explaining that you intend to obtain an extension.

If not allowed you could buy a throw away cheapest ticket on the spot.

The airline might not even request to see onward flight.

Assume that your return ticket to USA is flying out of Bangkok.

If so how do you intend to reenter Thailand from Cambodia. 

Edit: just realized that to return to thailand via air you will have your ticket back to USA to show for your onward flight requirement. 

Edited by DrJack54

Reasonable airfares seem to disappear within hours if not minutes.  Why does choosing flights have to be such a dreadful and bad experience?    Yes, I was corrected,  it's called visa exempt.   I was thinking I could get a land border visa exempt as I crossed the Cambodia border?  Not sure if we would fly or what transport yet.    Is it possible to get a visa exempt at a crossing near anghor wat?  I have never done that before.    I did get an extension in BKK one time.  1900 baht not a big deal but wasting a good part of my day to get it was no fun. 

Thanks for the help.   

Can't plan to transit on a return flight from Cambodia because coming back to USA wifey has plans for 4 full big bags plus I will need the new 30 day  ( or is it 45) visa exempt from a visa run.    I can also look at planning the trip to be 44-45 days.  

Having a flight to Cambodia during the first 45 days would be the best I see.  But we are not sure where we will be to fly from.  Haven't made detail plans yet.  Isn't it easy to get a new Visa exempt at a land crossing? Up to 2 each year.  Yes I would have that return leg to USA to show them. 

Either purchase a fully refundable flight which you can then cancel when you arrive in Thailand or buy a cheap onward fly ticket from 1 of the sites for between $8-$10. The airline in the USA will certainly ask you for an onward ticket before you are allowed to board.

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

I was thinking I could get a land border visa exempt as I crossed the Cambodia border?  Not sure if we would fly or what transport yet.    Is it possible to get a visa exempt at a crossing near anghor wat?

It is possible. Given your limited time in Thailand, and obvious status as a short term tourist, I think you will be safe using the border from Aranyaprathet in Thailand to Poipet in Cambodia, returning the same way. Entering Cambodia, you will need to buy a visa on arrival (US$30, though they will probably attempt to get you to pay more). You can resist demands for an inflated price for the VOA but, if you do, be polite and friendly while doing so. With good negotiation skills, a taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap (the city near Angkor Wat) can be remarkably cheap, probably about US$30 now. Busses are available but abound with scams and I prefer to avoid them.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

Having a flight to Cambodia during the first 45 days would be the best I see.  But we are not sure where we will be to fly from. 

Just one person's opinion....

1. Book your flight into Thailand.

2. Book a return flight Bangkok to Siem Reap obviously staying less than 45 days in Thailand before flight to SR.

The flight to SR covers your onward flight (possible) requirement from Airline when exit USA.

Your second visa exempt entry to Thailand from SR ...onward flight is covered by your return flight to USA.

Don't muck around with land travel and borders. 

• Thanks 1

Well I was so depressed after looking for airfares Sunday morning that just seemed to go up every time I looked.  Using a VPN and trying to clear my cookies but they still seemed to know.  This morning ( Mon) I looked at kayak com.  Trip advisor says it's one of the better sites.   I always buy from airlines direct.  And when I clicked to see the final price kayak took me to united and the price was unbelievable.  1550$ RT for 2 LAX to BKK - LAX.  So  coming for 48 days.   Should be e a fun time.  Now to book all the things like Airbnb, airport hotel on departure, leaning to flying to Cambodia and 3 days there.  I really am fascinated by stonework.  I guess I could always book a flight out of Thailand at day 44 right before checking in and then use the 24 hour cancel deal or the flight to siem reap.    Airfares we're looking like 2000$ when I got so frustrated on Sunday and tossed in the towel.   Thanks everyone.   

Due to the advice I've read, on aseanow,  I will plan my trip accordingly.  JFK-BKK  (25 days in Thailand) than BKK-PNH  (6 days in Cambodia) than PNH-BKK (23 days in Thailand) finally BKK-JFK. Total 48 days in Thailand and 2 visa exempt entries.

I called my airline, about these plans, but was only told, by phone rep, the check in personnel have all the international "customs" regulations.

I think if I have all the paperwork, I'll get by airport personnel.

Tried getting 60 day visa, through website, but couldn't make it work and couldn't find an agency, in NYC to do it. I was told by one of them they wouldn't do Thailand visas because it was to difficult and time consuming.

8 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Due to the advice I've read, on aseanow,  I will plan my trip accordingly.  JFK-BKK  (25 days in Thailand) than BKK-PNH  (6 days in Cambodia) than PNH-BKK (23 days in Thailand) finally BKK-JFK. Total 48 days in Thailand and 2 visa exempt entries.

I called my airline, about these plans, but was only told, by phone rep, the check in personnel have all the international "customs" regulations.

I think if I have all the paperwork, I'll get by airport personnel.

Tried getting 60 day visa, through website, but couldn't make it work and couldn't find an agency, in NYC to do it. I was told by one of them they wouldn't do Thailand visas because it was to difficult and time consuming.

By decree it is a 45 day rather than 30 days for us from USA and many countries until March 31 I think.  Government trying to help tourism.  You should have no issues with your trip plan.