First class insurance on old vehicle

CrossBones

I remember learning that there is a age limit on getting first class insurance on a vehicle

I think its 15 years?

If i buy a car 14 years old can i keep the insurance going or does it become uninsurable (for first class) after a year?

Otherwise what is the best insurance option for me?

We have kept first ckass on our eight-year old car simply to retain the 200K cover for a downpayment should it be stolen or destroyed.  The cover is minor as is the premium above third class which has has about the same liability, medical payments, and bail bond.  The real question is what value the insurace company would assign at what premium should you find a company to write a policy.

You will find with 1 or 2+ or 2 that an older vehicle will have a low payout if a write off.

At 15 years old you may - as an example - have a payout of 100,000 THB but premiums may be 10,000 THB

Only you can decide if the cost of premiums justifies the payout you will receive.

As an example - not a car but a bike, same rules apply - my PCX bought new and been on first class since 2013 has a payout of 26,000 THB with premiums of 5,000 THB.

Not worth it in my estimation. Downgraded to 3 class this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

some insurer will only let you have 1st class insurance after the car is 10 years old if you've had continued coverage until then, 

so unless the car've had 1st class insurance up until year 14, you might not be able to get 1st class to begin with

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I just renewed my first class insurance this month on my 16 year old Triton. Initially they offered only 2nd class but after I said I'd be going elsewhere they agreed to continue my first class cover.

They wanted to save you some money.