Sunaks first address to the British People as Prime Minister.

Social Media

3 minutes ago, DezLez said:

This is your statement "8 million people in the UK can’t afford regular meals,"

It is up to you to prove your figures, not me!

It was a telephone survey asking 1000 people whether they were hungry or not and some people replied that they were "starving and hadn't eaten all day"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

This is your statement "8 million people in the UK can’t afford regular meals,"

It is up to you to prove your figures, not me!

I provided evidence, credible links.

I also provided evidence, with a link to a Government report, that in the period 2020/21 the number was 4.2 million people.

Since then the cost of living crisis and energy crisis has hit.

You have not provided any evidence to refute my statements/sources other than some personal dislike of the sources I have chosen.

Go ahead, ignore it.

Parents unable to feed their children is going to have political consequences.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was a telephone survey asking 1000 people whether they were hungry or not and some people replied that they were "starving and hadn't eaten all day"

One of the links I provided was a telephone survey, the others were not.

Keep a firm grip of that straw.

Food poverty in the UK is going to bite the Tories.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Sunak won’t be able to hold the Tories together.

The economy is already in recession, 8 million people in the UK can’t afford regular meals, the NHS is collapsing ( before winter), mortgage interest rates are climbing, electrical power isn’t guaranteed through the winter, schools are running out of money, GP waiting times are over two weeks, getting an NHS dentist appointment  is near on impossible, industrial action is increasing, leveling up never happened, ‘sunny uplands’ can’t be found.

And they s week’s Prime Minister is warning of hard times to come, seemingly unaware that for many millions ‘hard times are already here’.

Sounds like a nation on the brink of collapse. Much like in the US. What an absolutely horrific job to have. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sounds like a nation on the brink of collapse. Much like in the US. What an absolutely horrific job to have. 

Its just going to be a difficult winter , a few hardships , but nothing to be too concerned about , been through it all before and even worse then 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And you consider that a basis for your quote "8 million people in the UK can’t afford regular meals,"

Please provide some actual proof rather than a "telephone survey" (sic) of 1,000 people.

(Possibly phoned from a Guardian mailing list!)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

At least your leaders are merely incompetent.  Ours are actively working to destroy the country.  I'll take incompetence over maliciousness any day of the week.

Who is "your" and "they" in your post?

5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

And you consider that a basis for your quote "8 million people in the UK can’t afford regular meals,"

Please provide some actual proof rather than a "telephone survey" (sic) of 1,000 people.

(Possibly phoned from a Guardian mailing list!)

More than 8 million in UK struggle to put food on table, survey says

The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/06/more-than-8-million-in-uk-struggle-to-put-food-on-table-survey-says#:~:text=6 years old-,More than 8 million in UK struggle,food on table%2C survey says&text=More than 8 million people,of hunger in the UK.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So now the Conservatives have had multiple female PM's and a PM of colour (is that the right term? - I'm not fluent in Woke). Truly the Progressive party in UK politics.

I'm not a huge fan of Sunak's policies, but being pragmatic I can see that he's probably what's needed right now to steady the ship as The Tories stock has fallen recently. Fortunately they have 2 years to get it right before the next GE.

The government knew that the Conservative members wouldn't vote in Sunak (a man of colour as you put it) so had to get to the position of cutting them out and just putting forward him as the only candidate.  Many of them will be squirming in their beds now.  I agree that having him as PM is the best option for the Conservatives at the moment but more importantly for the economy. He is a Goldman Sachs man through and through.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Like I say, choose to ignore it.

Relax, if you believe food poverty isn’t a major concern in the UK.

Ignore the pre-cost of living cris Government report of 4.2 million people in food poverty.

Clutch your straws.

The recession has started, poverty isn’t going to reduce.

Parents unable to feed their children is a political time bomb ticking.

Feel free to ignore it.

According to the most recent data for all UK households in the Family Resources Survey for FYE 2020, 92% of households in the UK reported they were food secure. However, 8% reported being food insecure, and of this, 4% reported low food security and another 4% very low food security

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021-theme-4-food-security-at-household-level

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

According to the most recent data for all UK households in the Family Resources Survey for FYE 2020, 92% of households in the UK reported they were food secure. However, 8% reported being food insecure, and of this, 4% reported low food security and another 4% very low food security

Link?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

More than 8 million in UK struggle to put food on table, survey says

The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/06/more-than-8-million-in-uk-struggle-to-put-food-on-table-survey-says#:~:text=6 years old-,More than 8 million in UK struggle,food on table%2C survey says&text=More than 8 million people,of hunger in the UK.

I quote "The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults" and printed in the Guardian which also says " according to estimates of hunger in the UK." from that survey!

Also please note that the article is 6 years old and is fronted by the Food Foundation who state at the top of the "article" 

"Food Foundation reveals scale of food insecurity, with 4.7 million thought to be regularly going a day without eating"

The foundation estimates that 4.7 million people aged over 15 were severely food-insecure, meaning they were to (sic) poor afford enough food and sometimes went without. A further 3.7 million were classed as moderately food-insecure.

The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults. The foundation said although the survey methodology was robust the low sample size meant the findings should be treated as preliminary."

As that is only a preliminary report from 6 years ago where is the follow up substantive report?

Edited by DezLez

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Edited and added 

Updated December 21, before the energy crisis, before the cost of living crisis.

Assuming random households represent y average occupancy then 8% of households equates to 8% of 67,22000 people = 5.776 million people.

So before they cost of living crisis, before the energy crisis the UK had already added 1.177,600 people to the food poverty count reported for 2020/21.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I quote "The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults" and printed in the Guardian which also says " according to estimates of hunger in the UK." from that survey!

Also not the article is 6 years old and is fronted by the Food Foundation who state at the top of the "article" 

"Food Foundation reveals scale of food insecurity, with 4.7 million thought to be regularly going a day without eating"

The foundation estimates that 4.7 million people aged over 15 were severely food-insecure, meaning they were to (sic) poor afford enough food and sometimes went without. A further 3.7 million were classed as moderately food-insecure.

The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults. The foundation said although the survey methodology was robust the low sample size meant the findings should be treated as preliminary."

As that is only a preliminary report from 6 years ago where is the follow up substantive report?

Mac already provided it.

It doesn’t help either of you.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

Britain risks deeper recession under Rishi Sunak, says City economist

Rishi Sunak’s economic approach will lead to a deeper recession than previously thought but will keep a lid on interest rates, according to a top City economist.

Thomas Pugh at RSM said the new prime minister’s pledge for fiscal responsibility suggests the country could be facing a fresh wave of austerity.

Combined with the cost-of-living crisis and rising rates, this could lead to a recession deeper than the 2pc previously forecast, he said, “Any signs of straying off the path of fiscal discipline are likely to spook financial markets and result in another drop in the pound and surge in gilt yields.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/24/markets-business-live-blog-ftse-100-markets-live-updates/

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Mac already provided it.

It doesn’t help either of you.

"Mac already provided" what and what does "it" not help?

I did not realize that this was a puzzle forum with people pulling figures out of very thin air and postng them along with riddles.

Please explain your post!

PS; ADMIN Please bring back the "confused" button and save me having to type this!

Edited by DezLez
PS added.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Britain risks deeper recession under Rishi Sunak, says City economist

Rishi Sunak’s economic approach will lead to a deeper recession than previously thought but will keep a lid on interest rates, according to a top City economist.

Thomas Pugh at RSM said the new prime minister’s pledge for fiscal responsibility suggests the country could be facing a fresh wave of austerity.

Combined with the cost-of-living crisis and rising rates, this could lead to a recession deeper than the 2pc previously forecast, he said, “Any signs of straying off the path of fiscal discipline are likely to spook financial markets and result in another drop in the pound and surge in gilt yields.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/24/markets-business-live-blog-ftse-100-markets-live-updates/

There is no national cris that a Tory can’t make worse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

"Mac already provided" what and what does "it" not help?

I did not realize that this was a puzzle forum with people pulling figures out of very thin air and posng them along with riddles.

Please explain your post!

PS; ADMIN Please bring back the "confused" button and save me having to type this!

Here’s Mac’s post.

Refer percentages reported.

The population of the UK is about 67.22 million.

Now let’s see if you can work out what 8% of 67.22 million is.

If you struggle then yes, perhaps you do need the ‘confused button’.

34 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021-theme-4-food-security-at-household-level

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is no national cris that a Tory can’t make worse.

There doesn't seem to be an easy painless solution 

There is no magic wand that will stop inflation and keep energy prices down and keep the UK out of recession and interest rates rising .

Just have to deal with it the best we can 

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s Mac’s post.

I suggest you provide a link when you make a reference such as "Mac already provided it.

It doesn’t help either of you."

Without a link nobody knows what you are referring to, mind you that is not unusual in certain cases!

It also helps if you look at the timings of post and edits before referring to them, or not in your case,

Edited by DezLez