Prayut Moves To Block Booze Bill

webfact

9 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Of course he did! It's to keep the mega amounts of money from beer import and manufacture in the hands of his mates and benefactors. Nice little grift huh.

Yep, their attitude is "Let's keep increasing the duty on imported beers so everyone drinks ours as the affordable option, and not allow any - even personal - brewing in the country then we can all have a new Mercedes every year on the kickbacks from the big brewers." 

This country's relationship with alcohol is just wierd, Buddhist country (supposedly) that bans alcohol sales for Buddhist holidays and whenever else they feel like it. Either go full booze ban on religious grounds or open up the market to free enterprise. don't <deleted> around in the middle just to stay rich at the cost of your population!

I had no idea Thailand had a kind of monopolies commission until the dtac and true merger was reported. It's like having a muzzle for a dog. Except it's made of meat. Look at King Power to know how corrupted this country is. It's shame.

I remember some birthday gifts in the form of a nine-digit figure on a cheque some time ago ........ by one of those booze icons ???? 

The local firewater under the trade name of "Lao Khao" retails at 60 Baht/bottle.
The duty/excise/VAT on imported spirit in same volume taxed manyfold this amount. 

So the cartel Thai style explained! 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps they would be less resistant to craft beer, if there was high quality beer already available here. Since the major brewers make garbage, they have alot to be weary of, and have to continue their corrupt ways. 

"............alot to be weary of........."

Love the typo! ???? 

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The sooner these bums get kicked out of office the better. 

And replaced with who? I can't wait till we get back to complete anarchy which is what we had till the General took over.

I remain a big supported because I know there isn't an alternative. 

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

And replaced with who? I can't wait till we get back to complete anarchy which is what we had till the General took over.

Crazy talk indeed.

Out of all the coup leaders in Thailand who was your favorite?

.... Or are of the ilk, "I haven't met a dictator I didn't like".

Anyway you'll have a new one soon as everyone, including the military are getting tired of this one.

Anyways some people like the guy.  More power to you. 

Edited by MrJ2U

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Yes, exactly. The monopoly in the beverage business has not been here just for few years of this govt. 

Same as monopoly in other kinds of business. Did we forget the telecommunication business? When the mobile phones bought abroad had stopped to work once you switch them on at the Don Muang Airport? Unless some clever shops in MBK had been making a good job breaking the code? 

Did we forget the rates of the mobile phone calls that had been here among the world most expensive?  Wondering to whom the monopoly telecom business had belonged?  Surely no connection with the govt democratically elected?

• Haha 1

This is a blatant act to keep the wealthy in control of the beer market.  The government needs to allow for free enterprise in the beer and wine industry and take away that stupid afternoon mandate of no alcohol sold.   

19 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Such a loss of new jobs for the younger generation and just so the big beer monopolies won't lose a few satang.

Easy to look in EU or US to see the big beer companies still make plenty of profit while having some good competition at the lower end of beer making.

while I agree with the US comparison, America has a population of 350 million and not counting another 20 million illegals, the big companies know they will still make huge profit due to massive capital, advertisements, promotions at huge sporting and musical events, loyal base etc. they're not concerned with smaller craft beers companies cutting into their profit margin because most of them are brewed locally for local consumption and the ones that go nationwide are few and far in between.  bottom line, America is a big country with a large population where the small guys can make money as well. 

Thailand with its nepotism and chronic corruption is a bad place for inspiring entrepreneurs. 

On 10/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, The Old Bull said:

Canada and the US took their time allowing craft brewers, but their time has come. It will come in Thailand too but when?

Refresh my memory on what laws prohibited "craft brewers" and what year these were in affect.

I am reading a fictional book on the South US back in 60's and 70's and the law enforcement reminded me of current Thailand.  That's over 50 yrs back ...