Pattaya condo floor tiles

aussiexpat

I currently have 12 year old vinyl floorboards in a 100sqm condo in central Pattaya and would like to change to tiles. 

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can advise of a good installer and/or what the expected cost to install the tiles (charged by sqm?)

My friend just had his 15sqm balcony re-tiled for 50k baht which sounds excessive to me and would put my cost over 300k?

Thanks for any assistance

Edited by aussiexpat

Do you know already which tiles you want?

As a general rule the job is easier with "smaller" tiles like 30x30cm. If tiles are bigger and especially if they are long and narrow, then the job is a lot more complicated.

Depending on the tiles you want maybe a "normal" tile installer will be good enough or maybe you need an experienced professional to do it right.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know already which tiles you want?

As a general rule the job is easier with "smaller" tiles like 30x30cm. If tiles are bigger and especially if they are long and narrow, then the job is a lot more complicated.

Depending on the tiles you want maybe a "normal" tile installer will be good enough or maybe you need an experienced professional to do it right.

I have 30x30 in the bathrooms so would want bigger than that. Probably 50x50

4 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fair enough. I would just be very careful.

Most things are "ideal" until you go bottoms up. 

Everything comes at a price.????????

Yeah I'm just sick of the vinyl floorboards you can't mop properly as too much water and they start to bend

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Yeah I'm just sick of the vinyl floorboards you can't mop properly as too much water and they start to bend

Have you considered a spray mop. You only use a small amount of water ...Lazada have them. but I can't see the one we have on there now. 

Best to get one with a swivel head as you can go in and around chair legs etc. Don't buy a really cheap one

Just found it …

Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop 1M15

999Baht

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

How old are you now and do you live there?

Wet tiles are just a death sentence if you take a tumble.

All my floors are tiled, they  are never wet in the lounge or bedroom, and bathroom tiles are specifically non-slip. (Or should be).

Edited by jacko45k

13 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

A reasonable tiler will charge 200 - 250/m2 for installation only, so it sounds like your mate got ripped off . Just remember to buy the tiles and grout yourself.

Not necessarily.  Maybe it was a difficult job to remove the existing floor and/or there was much cutting/fitting involved and/or the building had very restrictive rules about work hours, noise restrictions, debris removal, etc.  Sometimes what appears to be a very small job can cost more than a larger job.  Remember that 50K included the cost of the tile, also.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, aussiexpat said:

Okay, anyone have any advice on tile replacement companies in central Pattaya or expected cost for 100sqm condo?

Please understand that you need to ask for only labour cost. Since tikes are so different 

The house I rent has an ugly and slippery tile floor, under wood laminate flooring.  The farang who bought it from the original Thai owner added the wood laminate flooring and lived in the house until he could no longer negotiate the stairs to the upstairs bedrooms.  Termites love the downstairs pressed wood backing of the thin laminate layer and now the wood laminate flooring needs to be replaced.  My current landlord agreed to do this before Covid, but of course nothing has happened since then. 

Hopefully this Winter he will get the flooring replaced when AC isn't needed so I can sit and cook outside.  We agreed on a Chinese tile that looks like a wood flooring with long tiles that have a surface texture similar to wood grain to make them non-slip.  These tiles are more expensive but are stronger and accurate in size with vertical sides so that they fit tightly together unlike Thai made tiles.  Well worth the added cost.

Edited by HarrySeaman

On 10/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

Not tiles but I've just had laminate flooring laid from homepro, depending on the one you choose, no more than 1000 a sq m including fitting, edging and underlay. the one I chose was on offer, 700 Baht so cost 32k total for 43 sqm

Laminated flooring looks great new but over years does not last....Even mopping causes ever so slight water damage over time...Heaven forbid if you let any kind of moisture sit there for extended hours...Warp warp warp...

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, aussiexpat said:

Okay, anyone have any advice on tile replacement companies in central Pattaya or expected cost for 100sqm condo?

Aus, it is difficult at times to get answers on topic. Did you get anywhere yet with a quote? I am in central Pattaya and today had a guy measure up a space, 73sgm in total. For two types of tile ( I provide tile and grout), to go into two bed, two bath unit he quoted me 52k thb for his labour and other materials ...this includes removal of existing laminate flooring, cleaning and prep of base floor to then tile.