Move Forward Party cries foul against attempts to scuttle its Progressive Liquor Bill

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Have a look at Australia and many other countries. Boutique breweries are booming with many of them now owned by the larger companies. Many small enterprises are the most popular brands and are now the places to go for young people. Food has also improved dramatically. Get your act together and pass the bill!

Australia and other countries do not exist..Thailand is the center of the universe and monopolies are what it's all about. The bill will fail!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s opposition Move Forward Party is urging members of the public to voice their support for the party’s draft Progressive Liquor Bill openly and to share the party’s view on this issue on social media, according to party leader Pita Limjaroenrat.

Start an online petition where the public can sign up.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Bill to liberalise liquor production would help boost local economies and tourism, distribute income to rural areas, broaden the tax base and put an end to Thailand’s liquor business oligopoly.

Unfortunately it's those final eight words that Prayut and co are more concerned about. They've done nothing at all to help small businesses in the past eight years and the big guns have got bigger and stronger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I totally agree but unfortunately I believe the military censors would remove it on orders "from above"!

Happily, here in Cambodia there are many craft beer enterprises with no restrictions. Quote (14 March 2022)

"Craft beer is not new to Cambodia, and in Phnom Penh alone, several well-established craft breweries have catered to the expat community to a large extent. However.................  the growing number of craft breweries is creating a healthy competition rivalling the supremacy of the mass producers"

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501040821/expanding-the-ethos-of-craft-beer-in-kingdom/#:~:text=Craft beer is not new,community to a large extent.

I Enjoyed reading the link, I miss my local brewery in my native town of Ringwood in Hampshire England.

In fact my local pub the Red Shoot nearby had it's own micro brewery on the premises, which stocked itself and sold to pubs around the area.

Am I envious of you.. damned right I am..

Thx BB

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

in my native town of Ringwood in Hampshire England.

How interesting, I know the area well when holidaying in the New Forest and visiting an elderly aunt across the border in Swanage (Dorset). This was many years ago and pre-craft beer breweries that are so popular in the UK these days. I do remember enjoying a pint or two of John Barleycorn bitter also Hall & Woodhouse' Badger Beer. In those days I lived in Newport Pagnell and the local "real" ales came from Charles Wells Bedford Brewery and Greene King Brewery in Bury St. Edmunds.

15 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

How interesting, I know the area well when holidaying in the New Forest and visiting an elderly aunt across the border in Swanage (Dorset).

Yes indeed.. I was born and bred in Ringwood, which back then was a very small town.
Swanage I know well too, often visited there.

Did you drive around the scenic route or take the Poole/Sandbanks chain ferry across the mouth of the harbour for a short cut?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

They've done nothing at all to help small businesses in the past eight years and the big guns have got bigger and stronger.

That has been a worldwide trend. Due to the pandemic; small-medium, and even large (unconnected) businesses have gone to the wall, to be consumed by conglomerates in the biggest wealth transfer of our times.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Did you drive around the scenic route or take the Poole/Sandbanks chain ferry

I drove the scenic route via Wareham and Corfe Castle to enter Swanage. I used a cross country route from Newport Pagnell where I lived, to Salisbury, Blandford Forum, Morden and Wareham. It is a small world as they say.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I drove the scenic route via Wareham and Corfe Castle to enter Swanage. I used a cross country route from Newport Pagnell where I lived, to Salisbury, Blandford Forum, Morden and Wareham. It is a small world as they say.

Indeed it is... nice route and very scenic drive  to Swanage..

I used to go play on a military rifle range at East Holme, took that same drive myself many times.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thumbs Up 1