The demise of Centre Point Ferry

brianthainess

Please move to correct forum; The Centre Point ferrys to Koh Chang have been cancelled and will not run again, the 40min trip was cheap and cheerfull, closer to Trat, with membership cards (50% discount) and Return tickets available (valid one month). We are now left with only Sapparot ferry, about twice the price and lazy impolite ones who sell the tickets, two to issue tickets drive 20mtrs 4 to take the ticket, coming back to Koh Chang yesterday we had to queue up out on the road, why? you may ask it was not because of the ferry car park full but the slow issue of tickets, 2 to issue, drive 10 mtrs hand in the ticket 2 more staff, we asked why dont you issue return tickets the reply was "people lose them" I know for a fact they stopped return tickets years ago. pathetic response IMO. Another family run Thai Business.

Edited by brianthainess

20 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I take your point that competition is a good thing. My experience of many years as a tourist was the Centrepoint ferry was unreliable, a bit slow, and further to get to at both ends. Hopefully as tourism picks up someone will take it over and provide a good service that can compete. 

Centrepoint before covid always ran to a time table, it was a lot closer to Trat for those locals coming and going everyday, and the school mini buses, and less queues (most tourists, used the other one)  with the cost for me and the car 180b RETURN, now it cost me and the missus near 500 return and more fuel to Trat, and no big deal for tourists on a holiday coming from BKK direction. I don't think anyone will take it over rust was holding them together+mafi control ferries&taxis IMO and Mrs B

Edited by brianthainess

22 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I take your point that competition is a good thing. My experience of many years as a tourist was the Centrepoint ferry was unreliable, a bit slow, and further to get to at both ends. Hopefully as tourism picks up someone will take it over and provide a good service that can compete. 

I saved many hours hopping on the Centerpoint ferry, while crowds were queuing up (and down) from as far as the the KC Grande carpark.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I saved many hours hopping on the Centerpoint ferry, while crowds were queuing up (and down) from as far as the the KC Grande carpark.

Wow, that's a long way.

I stayed at the KC Grande last visit, we loved it. Hope to get back there next year.

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Actually on my last trip it was the Queen's birthday weekend and there was a hellish queue to get to the ferry. Delays of 6 hours. Weren't sure what the other ferry would be like so the driver just took the wrong side of the road as others did and let us off at the front to make our own way .. 

We used to get a bus that went by Centrepoint but had a few bad experiences of cancelled boat rides or delays but looks like it is needed. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Actually on my last trip it was the Queen's birthday weekend and there was a hellish queue to get to the ferry. Delays of 6 hours. Weren't sure what the other ferry would be like so the driver just took the wrong side of the road as others did and let us off at the front to make our own way .. 

We used to get a bus that went by Centrepoint but had a few bad experiences of cancelled boat rides or delays but looks like it is needed. 

Yep, the whole Koh Chang experience is being destroyed by Bangkokians who drive for a one night trip, just to take a couple of selfies on white sand beach and/or inaugurate their red plates. While this could easily fixed if people weren't allowed to take their cars to the island for shorter stays.

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Yeh although we try to avoid weekends, imagine how bad it is for us locals if you have to go to Trat immigation and are returning on a Friday or go the hospital in Trat on a Sunday morning by car not an ambulance in a hurry, locals should be allowed to avoid the queues. IMO. 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Yep, the whole Koh Chang experience is being destroyed by Bangkokians who drive for a one night trip, just to take a couple of selfies on white sand beach and/or inaugurate their red plates. While this could easily fixed if people weren't allowed to take their cars to the island for shorter stays.

The queues are always bad at "long weekend" national holidays, and actual weekends starting on Fridays.

I've never had any problems when avoiding these time frames.