What low/medium price wine do you recommend.

YorkshireTyke

14 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thank you, but where exactly may I deposit my cash to get one of those for a special occasion ?

Try Google. After you search for "I wish beer Thailand" That will take you to the right place on spot 1 Google.

11 hours ago, stuarty said:

If In Winepro buy Macpherson Shiraz ( about 600 baht) and thank me later

Yes, I bought some a few months ago and thought it was a nice wine and there was another MacPherson wine which I bought, but can't remember which one it was at the moment!

18 hours ago, swerve said:

I think you can find okay/good wines from about 450+ baht at Villa Market.  At that price point Australian and Chilean wines offer good value.  Family Mart has some good enough wines (e.g. Gato Negro at 480 baht).  Good on Family Mart.

Winepro's offerings are more expensive (say 600 baht and up), but are much better quality.  I would highly recommend people to go to a Winepro and take a look at what they sell.

This is the italian wine I mentioned in my post......

2020 Barbanera Camasella Appassimento Rosso

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, moogradod said:

Has anybody seen this wine somewhere here and where ? Or some other affordable Sancerre ? The wine was excellent. We have been to Villa and they did not have it. Have not seen it in TOPS either, nor in Foodland.

Sancerre brings back memory of my trip to Loire Valley. Ah...the chateaus.

I saw it somewhere in Pattaya for less then 3000B a few days ago, now I cannot remember where.

There are many Loire Valley wines here available: https://th.wine-now.asia/wine/white-wine.html?region_wine=9593

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, xylophone said:

Well you have dug a hole for yourself with your arrogance and misinformation, and with regards to your posts which advocate "wine fraud".......stated as:- "misrepresentation of the wine (such as variety, blend, origin, or vintage)", so let me add a few more snippets of information for you so that you can dig the hole even deeper: –

1). From the previous wine thread on ThaiVisa.com:- "we do know that Montclair red wine does contain Roselle (as it is stated on the box) but no one knows quite how the final product is achieved"

2). This from an Australian wine buyer on a previous thread: – "Sorry for the lateish reply, have been down visiting some wineries in South Australia where I brought up this very topic with a number of wine makers.
The polite answer to this stuff that Montclair et al are producing: It is not wine.
The longer slightly more complex answer involves a lot of expletives".

3). From another contributor in Thailand: "Now here is something which I do applaud because it states on the box, "Made with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes and fruit juice...............".

4). An article in a Thai newspaper regarding cask wine, "The best-selling box wine in Thailand is Mont Clair red or white from Siam Winery. Packaged in a 5 liter box and sold at about Bt1000 it's a clever blend of South African wines (grape juice?) with an addition of fruit juice, other than grape, which permits substantially lower excise tax rates"

So your assertion that "wine drinkers in Thailand can rest assured that the cheaper fruit wines here do not contain anything other than the fruit known as grape", is plain nonsense, especially as even Siam winery has previously quoted that their wine is a mixture of grape juice and fruit juice (Roselle) – – is that good enough for you?

PS. It would restore my faith in human nature to see some sort of an "apology" for your incorrect and unsubstantiated slights on my character and credentials, but arrogance such as yours is usually the hallmark of an altogether unsavoury type of character, so I expect none.

Obviously you are correct and LatPhrao is not, but as a minor cavil, it adds to confusion if you refer to the pre-fermented grape juice as "wine" and then talk about fruit juice being added to "wine"!

As I am sure you know, the term for the grape juice (and grape skins for red wine) mix which goes on to be fermented is "must" . I can see why you may be avoiding this usage to avoid puzzling readers, but you could say " pre-fermented grape juice" instead, which takes no longer with cut and paste than typing "wine" which is definitely incorrect. Grape juice isn't wine!

I may seem obsessive, but claims that wine is sold as finished wine that then has raw fruit juice added to it have come up again and again in many previous posts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, partington said:

Obviously you are correct and LatPhrao is not, but as a minor cavil, it adds to confusion if you refer to the pre-fermented grape juice as "wine" and then talk about fruit juice being added to "wine"!

As I am sure you know, the term for the grape juice (and grape skins for red wine) mix which goes on to be fermented is "must" . I can see why you may be avoiding this usage to avoid puzzling readers, but you could say " pre-fermented grape juice" instead, which takes no longer with cut and paste than typing "wine" which is definitely incorrect. Grape juice isn't wine!

I may seem obsessive, but claims that wine is sold as finished wine that then has raw fruit juice added to it have come up again and again in many previous posts.

Point taken Partington and I thought I had corrected my posts accordingly by referring to grape juice, but not clear enough and perhaps fell back into old habits!!! I have steered away (tried to) from stating that fruit juice is added to wine, although other posters (and articles) have used this terminology, so thank you for pointing this out........it was always my contention that the fruit juice, or indeed fruit itself, was added to the grape juice (must) before fermentation took place.

You are not being "obsessive" just putting the record straight, and my poor use of incorrect terminology, which was never my intention. ????

The thing about Hungarian wines in 1974, was that some were rather fine, and they were sold for a low price in America.

I used to sell wine and spirits when I was young.

And, I had always thought, at the time, that the Hungarian wines were superb value for the money.

The only thing was that one of the Hungarian wines would turn your lips, Ruby Red, almost like a dye.

Such good days, back then, with so much wine at such a low cost, unlike today, when prices have skyrocketed due to consumption by wine snobs.

Cabernet Sauvignon was always a favorite of mine, either with chicken, turkey, or any type of fowl.

After all these years, I still remember the color of our lips, drinking Hungarian wine, in 1974.

Speaking of a guy with BIG Ruby lips....1967...

So much better to be drinking Hungarian wine in those days.

Just, plenty of cheese, bread, and wine, lying in the sun, 

Making love while lying in the grass.

Miss those days.

VSOP!!!!

On 11/3/2022 at 9:42 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

Now I have more regular disposable income and I would like to buy better wines, red and white, let's say 500-700 Baht, what brands would you recommend please?

If you are willing to spend a little more, anyone of these from Georges  Dubouef is worth the price. Their Chardonny and Cabernet were my everyday winesfor a long time. You may get a discount buying the 6 packs here:

https://th.wine-now.asia/catalogsearch/result/?q=Georges+Duboeuf+

In US I get at least 6 pack of their Beaujolais nouveau every year but not willing to pay for it here.

https://th.wine-now.asia/georges-duboeuf-beaujolais-villages-nouveau-2022.html

Screenshot 2022-11-09 033619.jpg

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Thailand J said:

If you are willing to spend a little more, anyone of these from Georges  Dubouef is worth the price. Their Chardonny and Cabernet were my everyday winesfor a long time. You may get a discount buying the 6 packs here:

https://th.wine-now.asia/catalogsearch/result/?q=Georges+Duboeuf+

In US I get at least 6 pack of their Beaujolais nouveau every year but not willing to pay for it here.

https://th.wine-now.asia/georges-duboeuf-beaujolais-villages-nouveau-2022.html

Screenshot 2022-11-09 033619.jpg

I was a fan of the George Duboeuf wines in my younger days, and in particular the Beaujolais Grand Cru, which like the other Grand Cru wines of Beaujolais would keep for a few years, and after some ageing took on the characteristics of a good burgundy.

Was never a fan of the Beaujolais Nouveau, even though there was a big fanfare when it was released, and I remember hosting a Beaujolais Nouveau evening in Auckland in 1987, when we (American Express) took over a lovely restaurant and designated the evening for premium Card Members only, and had the wine helicoptered in after it had landed and cleared customs in Auckland – – it was a great evening, remembered as much by the vicious hangover as for great food and company!!

Certainly the George Duboeuf Beaujolais wines would be the pick of the bunch IMO.

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Point taken Partington and I thought I had corrected my posts accordingly by referring to grape juice, but not clear enough and perhaps fell back into old habits!!!

I have just come back from my local Makro where I was buying some water, and had a glance at the Montclair wines which were on the shelves, and lo and behold, on the packaging it states: – "Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes blended with orchard fruits". That being the case, it also states "fruit wine" on the packaging!!

So unlike earlier days when Siam Winery were a bit "coy" about what their Montclair wine actually was, now it is clearly stated on the packaging. Good on them for telling it like it is and not deceiving their customers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In 1974, I first began drinking Hungarian wines.

In 1974, this was a well-kept secret.

Now, everybody knows.

image.jpeg.6925b6b7b9ce9c7e488c23072698b555.jpeg

Lot's of good wine in Hungary.

And, good value for the money.

As an example, I was able to use the Vivino app directly on this picture, which I hadn't thought of before. The app gives it a rating of 4.3, one of the highest ratings I've ever seen, especially for a wine that is not that expensive. This result is from 75 ratings, which is something else that needs to be considered, just like with hotels. (The more ratings the better.) And people who are usually experts in wine also give detailed comments about each wine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

As an example, I was able to use the Vivino app directly on this picture, which I hadn't thought of before. The app gives it a rating of 4.3, one of the highest ratings I've ever seen, especially for a wine that is not that expensive. This result is from 75 ratings, which is something else that needs to be considered, just like with hotels. (The more ratings the better.) And people who are usually experts in wine also give detailed comments about each wine.

I'm not sure why more people don't consider Hungary to be a reliable producer of wine which is decent quality at a reasonable price. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I'm not sure why more people don't consider Hungary to be a reliable producer of wine which is decent quality at a reasonable price. 

I recall in my youth that an Hungarian wine called "Bulls Blood" was very inexpensive, but was reasonable drinking (if my memory serves me correctly) and just to change countries a little, a few years ago I was helping a guy who owned a Deli here in Patong, to clear out some of his old wine stock (and some of it was way past its "use by" date) and organise a wine sale for him, which I did.

Whilst I was ferreting around on some of the shelves I found a bottle of Bulgarian wine, something I had never come across before, although this was something special because it had the gold wire (the same as some top notch Spanish wines do) around the bottle and also a commemorative label as it was supposedly for an event to do with Bulgarian royalty (don't ask me what it was) so I enquired as to the wine and the owner of the shop couldn't recall stocking it or even selling any of it, so he gifted me the bottle to take home and try.

Well I was absolutely stunned at the quality of this wine and it was certainly better than a few top-class Bordeaux and Cote Rotie that I had tasted in my time and I asked him if there was any chance of finding any more, because I would gladly pay good money for it, but no luck.

I had never really thought of Bulgarian wine, but winemaking in that part of the world stretches back many centuries BC, and it was absolutely delightful.

Update : Bought a Eaglehawk cab sav from Tesco yesterday and today popped into villa Market. They had a table display at the front of the wine section with Mcwilliams wines at 400 Baht each. So I bought a Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz Cab, Cab Merlot. Also a Hardys Shiraz also 400. I was on my bike so I didn't want to carry anymore as I already had other shopping but I will be back soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just read an article on the "James Suckling" website which I found quite astounding.......

TREASURY WINES REPORT….
It has stepped up sales efforts in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore and began selling in September a Chinese-made version of Penfolds in China, known as, One By Penfolds. Made with grapes from the north of China, it sells for around $50 per bottle.

So two things stick out for me in as much as although China has been coming along in leaps and bounds with regards to grape production, producing a Penfold's from those grapes just doesn't do it for me, and anyway at $50 a bottle I doubt I will be trying it!