Open UK Bank account from Thailand

I used to have a Starling account here in Thailand but switched to ChaseUK about 3 months ago whilst here. I don't have UK residential address but opened it using a UK mail forwarding address, passport, UK sim card and bank statement from another UK bank very easily online. With your UK address and UK phone number it should be straight forward. Chase works out better for me than Starling for 5+ reasons including the ability to have a savings account (can't with Starling), larger atm cash withdrawals, ability to check the exchange rate in the app before a transaction, 1% cashback promotion on all card/googlepay transactions for first 12 months and also Starling seemed to have a glitch sometimes that double charged for some overseas card transactions that then took 8 days to be reversed. Starling customer service seemed fine but never used Chases' so can't compare. Both Starling and Chase have zero foreign transaction/exchange fees and charge the same mastercard exchange rate. The Chase app works fine and can move money easily between Wise, Revolut and UK banks.

Edited by oliverphoenix2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, oliverphoenix2 said:

I used to have a Starling account here in Thailand but switched to ChaseUK about 3 months ago whilst here. I don't have UK residential address but opened it using a UK mail forwarding address, passport, UK sim card and bank statement from another UK bank very easily online. With your UK address and UK phone number it should be straight forward. Chase works out better for me than Starling for 5+ reasons including the ability to have a savings account (can't with Starling), larger atm cash withdrawals, ability to check the exchange rate in the app before a transaction, 1% cashback promotion on all card/googlepay transactions for first 12 months and also Starling seemed to have a glitch sometimes that double charged for some overseas card transactions that then took 8 days to be reversed. Starling customer service seemed fine but never used Chases' so can't compare. Both Starling and Chase have zero foreign transaction/exchange fees and charge the same mastercard exchange rate. The Chase app works fine and can move money easily between Wise, Revolut and UK banks.

Interesting about Chase.....

Last night before seeing your post (and several others) i successfully opened a Starling current account.

It was a breeze!

I did that rather than just using the Switch guarantee service as ive no knowledge of them and also i admit im a bit nervous of things going wrong 

So next few days i will research switching my current account from Santander to Starling using the switch service ie hopefully there are no issues with me not being in UK for that 

Yes, im probably overthinking it!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, Polar Bear said:

I opened a Starling account in the UK a couple of years ago while I was overseas. Then I opened one for my husband this year while we were in Thailand. It was a bit trickier last time because I couldn't download the app directly. I had to use a VPN I think, or APK pure, something like that, to download it. But aside from that, it was very easy. I needed a UK address to receive the debit card. 

Starling's customer service has been excellent. Far better than the Co-op or HSBC, which we also use. 

Specifically, what are Starling like when it comes to transferring large amounts of money out to other banks? 

So for example some people have savings in other savings accounts with other Banks in say like a one or five year bond. That would then mature and the money would come back to Starling. And then you would move it out again into another new bond account which was paying the best interest rate. 

Now this is something I did on a fairly regular basis with Santander and they were an absolute nightmare! If you tried to move any real amount of money their security systems would kick in and it would lock you out of the account on PC & mobile and it was extremely inconvenient trying to phone England, waiting for hours etc

What I had to do eventually was try to move chunks of less than £5,000 and that seemed to work for a while but even that then became problematical

I'm just wondering what Starling are like in that regard 

many thanks

I primarily use it to transfer money earned overseas into the UK, so I bring in several thousand pounds a month. (The payment is transferred in GBP but the Co-op still charged an overseas payment fee. Starling don't). Then I send smaller payments out to other UK accounts and sometimes to Wise 

After about 6 months of doing this I triggered a money laundering security check. They messaged me asking about the money, I sent a copy of my work contract, and I've not had a problem since.

I've never called them. I'm not sure they even have a call center. It's all done through their secure messaging in the he app 

I've never transferred more than about £10k in or out in one transaction. But the domestic transfer limit is £25k per day.

If you are concerned about triggering a security check, I'd suggest contacting them shortly before the payment is due and asking if they need any additional documentation.

They are still subject to the same money laundering regulations as any other UK bank, so if they are checks that have to be done, it's going to be a similar process whoever you bank with.

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I primarily use it to transfer money earned overseas into the UK, so I bring in several thousand pounds a month. (The payment is transferred in GBP but the Co-op still charged an overseas payment fee. Starling don't). Then I send smaller payments out to other UK accounts and sometimes to Wise 

After about 6 months of doing this I triggered a money laundering security check. They messaged me asking about the money, I sent a copy of my work contract, and I've not had a problem since.

I've never called them. I'm not sure they even have a call center. It's all done through their secure messaging in the he app 

I've never transferred more than about £10k in or out in one transaction. But the domestic transfer limit is £25k per day.

If you are concerned about triggering a security check, I'd suggest contacting them shortly before the payment is due and asking if they need any additional documentation.

They are still subject to the same money laundering regulations as any other UK bank, so if they are checks that have to be done, it's going to be a similar process whoever you bank with.

Yes, good points, especially about money laundering but some banks are just a lot easier to communicate with than others 

The Santander app has something called Sandi (their digital assistant) whom I could happily strangle with bare hands! 'She' constantly gets cut off with some <deleted> excuse of failing to connect with the server, which as we all know is just an excuse to get rid of annoying customers who are having problems. 

May I ask if your contact number for Starling is a Thai number? I contacted them yesterday via the app(good response) and she showed me how to change mine from UK but Thailand was not one of the 40 odd countries pre designated and I couldn't see a way of manually overriding that.

I just don't want her to tell me that Thailand is a country they cannot deal with! Wonder why its not preloaded in the app? 

On 11/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Kwasaki said:

OK try my bank it's an online bank First Direct .

Go online first and then you will have to probably telephone them as well maybe for them to arrange an account.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:56 PM, topt said:

There is what HMRC call the residency test - here is part of it

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm11040

However if you have not told them you have left and that you want to be considered as non resident, are still paying taxes that you would not have to pay as a non-resident, have a UK address and are paying council tax as you say then you should be able to get hold of a UK bank account - not sure if they ask for utility bill in your name however? 

First Direct (as mentioned by Kwasaki) always get's good reviews as an online bank. I use Lloyds and have had no issues with using onlne banking but I always go via a vpn to the UK. 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:31 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

I will be looking into First Direct thanks but wanted to get feedback on other UK banks used by expats in Thailand eg issues with mobile apps transfers etc 

Thanks 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:32 PM, Kwasaki said:

I have posted already First Direct a member of the HSBC group.

On 11/5/2022 at 8:37 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

first direct has always been online so try em

all banking is done by fone.no banks part from HSBC

First Direct can only be opened by UK residents, "granfathering" overcomes those who did it before they moved. I rang them about opening an account about 6 months ago, as I was keen to change from HSBC UK, which was giving me grief. That account I have had for over 40 years, when residency was not important.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, samtam said:

First Direct can only be opened by UK residents,

In case you did not read all the previous posts this is true for all UK based banks including Starling and has been for a while.

Whether the OP is resident or not (up to him and HMRC :thumbsup:) he has successfully opened an account with Starling so it can be done if you have the requisite UK "connections".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, samtam said:

First Direct can only be opened by UK residents, "granfathering" overcomes those who did it before they moved. I rang them about opening an account about 6 months ago, as I was keen to change from HSBC UK, which was giving me grief. That account I have had for over 40 years, when residency was not important.

FD have been very handy as my 2 private pensions suppliers won't pay the pensions into a bank abroad.

I have one small problem with them and that is them changing my debit card which was Visa to MasterCard and Wise says it's locked.

The robot couldn't help ???? so spoke on chat, FD said its Wise not setting up properly, emailed Wise twice no answer, Wise put message on screen you need to talk to your bank, so it's just going around in circles.

I sent money to Wise from my 1st account so as of now I have no need of the MasterCard debit card. 

39 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I use a UK number, but as I say, I've never spoken to anyone. I've only ever used the chat. It wouldn't matter if you got disconnected because you can send messages asynchronously as well. 

yes fair point , hopefully it shouldnt ever matter if their chat is responsive 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

ut it gets back to my previous question. What is the precise definition of a UK resident versus a non resident? I'm just on a long vacation. 

At what point do the UK government say eg "now you've been out of the country for 3 years, you no longer qualify to be a resident"??? 

Your legal status in Thailand will determine that. If you're here on a tourist visa then you're a tourist. If not then you're not a tourist.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, nigelforbes said:

No. UK legal status is determined by UK factors, nothing to do with visa in another country. Even a long term expat on a non imm. O visa for 20 years, me, is still not a Thai resident. UK residency for nhs purposes is six months, for tax residency it's 183 days but this is subject to ties rules. But, even if you return after being away for 20 years, you can become resident again on the first day for everything, if you wish.

Please expand on that NHS 6 months point. I would hazard a guess at if you're away from UK for longer than 6 months you no longer qualify for NHS treatment?? 

Just now, Gabe H Coud said:

Please expand on that NHS 6 months point. I would hazard a guess at if you're away from UK for longer than 6 months you no longer qualify for NHS treatment?? 

I would not subject myself to the NHS again,  ever, its dysfunction, its generally poor and inconsistent treatment, its waiting lists, its concentration camp hospitals. I count myself lucky to be free of that misery and able to pay to go to good international hospitals in city's here and get the treatment I want/need.  If you can't afford to do that, or pay for good health insurance, then don't live in Thailand.

As an aside, there is no system for tracking UK citizens that leave the UK.  There are no longer any Boarder Force outbound passport checks at airports and most ports, only inbound ones.  So they know when you come back, just not when you left, unless you tell them, such as declaring it for Tax purposes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

GP and A&E treatment are free to all. (Good luck with getting a GP appointment). In-patient treatment in an NHS hospital will be charged at cost + 50% to non-residents. In practice, this might depend on how long you've been away. I moved to Thailand in 2009, but in 2016 I was taken ill over a weekend, GP surgery closed so I went to A&E. When I gave my name and date of birth the receptionist said, "Oh, that's 36 XXX Road, then?" obviously I replied yes - so I was still on the system 6 or 7 years after leaving. Within the last year I tried searching for my record on the NHS app, nothing doing. I can't remember my NHS number. Clearly I have now become a non-person as far as the NHS is concerned. I get insurance before I go to England now.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

As an aside, there is no system for tracking UK citizens that leave the UK.  There are no longer any Boarder Force outbound passport checks at airports and most ports, only inbound ones.  So they know when you come back, just not when you left, unless you tell them, such as declaring it for Tax purposes.

The government know when you leave through the airline API system which informs the UK government of the details of everyone on a flight originating, ending or transiting through the UK.

If the will was there that information could be passed to other government departments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

It is a very grey area. People will no doubt quote text from something they read but cases that have come to court have had varying outcomes.

Many instances have passed without mention as there are a lot of doctors that believe if you were born an NHS patient you should remain one. The government however have tried to use admin staff to enforce their way on the NHS.

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

GP and A&E treatment are free to all. (Good luck with getting a GP appointment). In-patient treatment in an NHS hospital will be charged at cost + 50% to non-residents. In practice, this might depend on how long you've been away. I moved to Thailand in 2009, but in 2016 I was taken ill over a weekend, GP surgery closed so I went to A&E. When I gave my name and date of birth the receptionist said, "Oh, that's 36 XXX Road, then?" obviously I replied yes - so I was still on the system 6 or 7 years after leaving. Within the last year I tried searching for my record on the NHS app, nothing doing. I can't remember my NHS number. Clearly I have now become a non-person as far as the NHS is concerned. I get insurance before I go to England now.

Not entirely. The GP system requires residency also, A*E's responsibility is to stabilise life threatening conditions, after which their services are chargeable.

I move back and forth between the UK and Thailand from time to time, I have homes in both places but I rent out my UK home when I'm over here. I usually tell DWP that I'm moving and they ask how long I'll be gone, my pension  is frozen during this time (I don't want hear word one from others on this point, this is what I do, it's my choice to play by the rules). The last time I moved back here I also arranged for my State Pension to be paid into a Thai bank, when I informed DWP they once again asked, for how long. When they sent me their standard form letter it included a note saying that I would no longer be eligible for free NHS services.

If you move back to the UK, regardless of how long you have been away and you say that your return is permanent, your pension uplift and NHS eligibility is free from Day 1, I know this because I did so in 2018 but covid interfered.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Kwasaki said:

I think you need to be a resident of UK and have a UK address.

I have an online UK bank but I was a long term customer and they let me keep the account in my Thai address.

Same as me. I had been with my bank for over 20 years when I moved to Thailand and I still have the account now.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Not entirely. The GP system requires residency also, A*E's responsibility is to stabilise life threatening conditions, after which their services are chargeable.

I move back and forth between the UK and Thailand from time to time, I have homes in both places but I rent out my UK home when I'm over here. I usually tell DWP that I'm moving and they ask how long I'll be gone, my pension  is frozen during this time (I don't want hear word one from others on this point, this is what I do, it's my choice to play by the rules). The last time I moved back here I also arranged for my State Pension to be paid into a Thai bank, when I informed DWP they once again asked, for how long. When they sent me their standard form letter it included a note saying that I would no longer be eligible for free NHS services.

If you move back to the UK, regardless of how long you have been away and you say that your return is permanent, your pension uplift and NHS eligibility is free from Day 1, I know this because I did so in 2018 but covid interfered.

The fact remains that for the vast majority of Thai based  expats, the maximum you could accuracy state , with any real certainty, will be  'maximum of 12 months', before another extension MAY be granted by the Thais. My next extension is due in 4 months, therefore anyone, official or otherwise, who asks me, 'how long will I be out of the UK' accurately get the answer '4 months Sir, unless circumstances change'.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

You have a great faith in the integrating of UK systems that is not justified.  The system is not that integrated, or complete (private and some charter flights and almost all ferry routes). In owning my own light  aircraft for a good few years, I could leave the country at will with no record made of me, bar a flight plan, which could be filed in the air without a ident of the pilot or passengers. Do you honestly think for a moment that the system is capable of tracking all individuals, bar known terrorists or criminals?  It can't even do that, let alone track the odd pensioner.   As the UK government has admitted publically,  it has no idea how many immigrants that have entered the UK, legally or illegally have subsequently left. or indeed, how many expats are effectively living overseas long term without ever declaring that they are expats.  It can guess, but it doesn't know. 

Agreed. While all the rage 20 years or so ago, the concept of "joined-up government" - which IMHO would be a fundamental prerequisite to any systemic integration across Whitehall - is now completely dead in the water, As a result, each component part of the "great" UK government machine is, these days, required to confine its operations to issues which fall strictly within the purview of its particular silo, with blinkers firmly attached so as to avoid any "undesirable" external sideways glances.

• Like 1

The problem that exists is not so much with detection at a given point in time but after the fact detection. For example, the NHS has a fairly exhaustive protocol designed to determine if patients are eligible or not. Those protocols are only enacted when somebody becomes suspicious, but that might be a doctor who looks at the patient record and sees there's been no GP visits for a long period and perhaps the patient has a permanent tan. The NHS employs people in every District whose purpose is to check on questionable eligibility cases. They use a series of forms/checklists which require the patient to produce a bank statement showing daily transactions during the past six months and other items such as utility bill payments. Caution is registered in these documents in case the person is homeless but even then there are other checks to confirm that is the case.

Those checks on NHS eligibility can then lead to a patient not being able to pay a large bill and the involvement of other authorities which is when the person becomes somebody of interest and drains cover started to be lifted. 

55 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

If that is the case, which it manifestly is not, at least not across the whole NHS, then how do you account for my Thai father in law receiving treatment in the NHS on two separate visits to the UK and on inquiring where he should pay, was told that no mechanism exists for the NHS to charge him,  despite him having comprehensive travel medical insurance.  The reason given is that he was admitted as an A & E patient, temporarily registered with a UK doctor, which was a circular argument, as that was a requirement for him to be admitted to the hospital and it was the hospital that arranged for that temporary registration.  His is not an isolated case.   The NHS is probably the most dysfunctional, inefficient, cash swallowing organization in the UK, and that is saying something.  It clearly needs massive reform, but no politico has, or ever will have,  the courage and the skills to tackle this out of control monster. 

I cannot account for what happened in the case of your father in law and I do not know if or how rules are applied uniformly across the entire NHS, I suspect they are not and wonder why anyone might think that only Thailand is permitted to be dysfunctional. None of that changes the fact that what I wrote previously regarding checks on ineligible patients is true and correct and manifestly has been so for at least the six years in one form or another.

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2017/02/06/patients-not-eligible-for-free-nhs-care-to-be-charged-up-front-for-non-urgent-treatment/

This self same topic has been discussed repeatedly on this forum and its predecessor since at least 2015. At some point the government recommended vetting forms were posted for everyone to see and I had copies that I kept, I will try to root them out and if I find them I will post them. Some below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1090896/overseas-NHS-visitors-charging-regulations-guidance-July-2022.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-nhs-visitors-non-nhs-bodies-implementing-the-charging-regulations/guidance-for-non-nhs-bodies-on-implementing-the-nhs-overseas-visitors-charging-regulations

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/nhs-visitor-and-migrant-cost-recovery-programme

Edited by nigelforbes

On 11/19/2022 at 7:27 AM, Doctor Tom said:

You have a great faith in the integrating of UK systems that is not justified.

I made no suggestion that the government was efficient enough to use the information to their advantage, only that the information is there if they were to look for it (in most cases).  Border Force exit checks are not required.

• Like 1