Changing Banks between Non-O and Extension

Hello,

I have a Non-O based on retirement with 800k in bank.

I wish to change banks away from Bangkok Bank, because their 1 week wait to get a 12 month statement is annoying for me.

My Non-O was issued in Chiang Mai in September, and I plan to apply for my extension a few weeks early in November.

What do I need to consider when changing banks now, or would there be a better reason to change banks and transfer the 800k after I got my first extension?

Thanks for your help.

You apparently in the 2 months before you apply for a extension of stay period. Best not to change banks now.

You should not need to show a bank statement since you are now on the 90 day stay from the non-o visa. If anything you would on need a 3 month bank statement that be obtained while you wait at the bank when get the letter confirming your account.

You could change banks 3 months after you apply for the extension.

Most likely overkill but I don't trust immigration offices when it comes to logic.

I would do nothing untill 3 months plus after you obtain next extension.

Then transfer 400k to a new bank account.

Then shortly later transfer the remaining 400k into the new account.

That's if you just park 800k all year round or use the 400k as you wish and build up the new account to 800k two months prior to next extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Barley said:

I wish to change banks away from Bangkok Bank, because their 1 week wait to get a 12 month statement is annoying for me.

I was just wondering with BKB do they give you a specific  date to collect it and is it dated for that  day ? I'm interested out of curiosity really, as my IO insist bank letters & statement must be the same day you apply.       Krungsri bank take 10 min. And pay .9% interest once you have a year extension and open a Mee t account. I have only just realized you are talking about a 12month statement, but even so i got one in 10min at Krungsri  

949508036_60daysretirement.jpg.b4f13288d6c7e5018fe4cba0cac9fb77.jpg 

Edited by brianthainess

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I was just wondering with BKB do they give you a specific  date to collect it and is it dated for that  day ? I'm interested out of curiosity really, as my IO insist bank letters & statement must be the same day you apply.       Krungsri bank take 10 min. And pay .9% interest once you have a year extension and open a Mee t account 

That is the letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance when it is written not a bank statement.

A update of you bank book would be done on that day.

A one year bank statement could be older than the day the letter is done.

Thank you for your replies.

Yes. correct, I plan to keep 800k all year round in the bank.

Now something isn't clear to me here:

When I apply for my 2nd extension in more than a year, I will need to show that I adhered to the 800k for 3 months in the bank rule. So that would mean, I then need to still provide a 12 months statement from my Bangkok Bank account (to show that I have 800k after the 1st extension - so I don't get around this annoying 1 week wait to get 12 months statement from Bangkok Bank) plus a 12 months statement from my new bank, since you advised me to transfer 400k (why not the full 800k?) after 3 months in from my 1st extension.

3 hours ago, Barley said:

Thank you for your replies.

Yes. correct, I plan to keep 800k all year round in the bank.

Now something isn't clear to me here:

When I apply for my 2nd extension in more than a year, I will need to show that I adhered to the 800k for 3 months in the bank rule. So that would mean, I then need to still provide a 12 months statement from my Bangkok Bank account (to show that I have 800k after the 1st extension - so I don't get around this annoying 1 week wait to get 12 months statement from Bangkok Bank) plus a 12 months statement from my new bank, since you advised me to transfer 400k (why not the full 800k?) after 3 months in from my 1st extension.

Many people just use pass books rather than statements, free and instant

Ah, I think I understand now why you recommend to do two transactions a few days apart for 400k each 3 months into my 1st extension: Because for 3 months I need to show the full 800k, and after that I only need to show 400k in the account for the next 6 months. So this way I can show for the full 3  onths 800k and afterwards always can show I have the full 400k, even if they may find fault with the short transfer periods, they cannot complain that there was a very short point in time when the 400k wasn't there. Ok, that's a good idea to play it safe like that. Thank you everybody for your explanations.