Non-O Retirement Visa Extension (After 1st Year) - Residence Documentation Requirements

Dear All,

A quick question.  Soon I will be going back to the Immigration Department to renew my Non-O Retirement Visa for the first time (after almost a year since receiving it), and I would like to inquire with the group about the residence documentation requirements.  When I first applied (almost a year ago), I provided a 1-year lease, but I haven't been living there for a long time, and in fact, do not maintain a regular (full-time) residence in Thailand, as I am travelling in & out of the country about every 1-2 months.  As such, I typically stay in hotels when I am in Thailand.  When I submit my documents for the renewal of the Non-O Retirement Visa, is an another 1-year lease again a strict documentation requirement, or, will the hotel that I am staying at the time I am applying be able to provide me with the necessary documents (based on a short-term stay)?  Thank you all for your input. 

@ubonjoe  In answer to your question, I will be going to the Bangkok Immigration Office, as I spend most of my time in Thailand in Bangkok.  Last year, for the original Non-O Retirement visa, I applied in Phuket - I no longer spend any time in Phuket.

@Onerak  In answer to your question, I do not have a TM30 attached to my passport.

Thank you & any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Asymmetricinfo said:

will the hotel that I am staying at the time I am applying be able to provide me with the necessary documents (based on a short-term stay)? 

In theory the hotel in question should file a completed TM30 form in respect of your stay with them directly to Immigration and provide you with any confirmatory documentary evidence which you might need for Immigration purposes. You would be strongly advised to check with them specifically before making any firm booking whether they will actually do these things in practice.

Edited by OJAS

33 minutes ago, Asymmetricinfo said:

@Onerak  In answer to your question, I do not have a TM30 attached to my passport.

First decide where you want to get your extension. Get a place to stay and then file a TM30 (hotel is OK) and get a copy of the TM30. Apply for extension with that TM30. You're done. 

20 hours ago, Asymmetricinfo said:

I will be going to the Bangkok Immigration Office, as I spend most of my time in Thailand in Bangkok.

I personally have never been asked for either a TM-30 or a 90 day report slip when applying for my retirement extensions in Bangkok, but it's probably best to get a TM-30 from your hotel just in case. A lease definitely shouldn't be needed - that's only required for the Non-O application, not for subsequent extensions. 

Huahin Immigration requires a copy of my lease every time my non immigrant O is renewed. I can't answer for other offices. Actually, I take the original lease too as that is filled in in blue ink as is required whereas the photocopy ink is black. The original is handed back and the copy is retained.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, Asymmetricinfo said:

Last year, for the original Non-O Retirement visa, I applied in Phuket - I no longer spend any time in Phuket.

So for the initial 90 day Non-O visa Phuket requires a signed lease?  And this lease needs to cover the 90 days or 1 year? 

On 11/12/2022 at 1:42 AM, drkenchao said:

what if not staying at hotel but staying at my own bought condo at renewal time (of retirement O visa)? how to prove residence? appreciate your advice

That's easy. Just show them the condo title deed/land register /chanote and what I did on initial visa conversion and extensions. Now I have yellow book that's all they want in Bangkok immigration as residence address proof. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, drkenchao said:

what if not staying at hotel but staying at my own bought condo at renewal time (of retirement O visa)? how to prove residence? appreciate your advice

If you have your own condo (or a long-lease condo), you must file a TM-30 for the first time and anytime after you change your passport. They will attach the TM-30 in your passport and that proves your residence. In fact, I would stay it is easy for condo owners to do in/out without worrying about any of those non-sense. I have a condo in Pattaya and now live in Thailand for 6-month on Tourist visas, visa exempt entries etc. And extended a few times without any issue. This is in Jomtien immigration.

16 minutes ago, john smith said:

If each office has its own rules how can there be a norm? 

There is always a "norm", always an Immigration rule somewhere.

It is also the 'norm' that one Immigration office will interpret that 'norm' differently  -  then that becomes their 'norm'.

Quite straightforward.

10 hours ago, Onerak said:

If you have your own condo (or a long-lease condo), you must file a TM-30 for the first time and anytime after you change your passport. They will attach the TM-30 in your passport and that proves your residence

Been here 10 years on extensions based on retirement.

I have never done a TM30 or provided one to immigration when applying for extension. 

This thread is about 12 month extentions from non O based on retirement.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, khunjeff said:

I personally have never been asked for either a TM-30 or a 90 day report slip when applying for my retirement extensions in Bangkok, but it's probably best to get a TM-30 from your hotel just in case. A lease definitely shouldn't be needed - that's only required for the Non-O application, not for subsequent extensions. 

as the tm 30 and 90 day slips are attached to ur passport, you can be dam sure they look at them  ????

as others stated , figure where you want spend some time ( and have the hotel do ur tm30) and get the extension there
Pattaya might be a  better choice than Bangkok

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

There is always a "norm", always an Immigration rule somewhere.

It is also the 'norm' that one Immigration office will interpret that 'norm' differently  -  then that becomes their 'norm'.

Quite straightforward.

Fascinating logic that