Non-O Based on Marriage - Requiring copy of letter certifying marital status?

I am going to apply for a change of visa from my Tourist to Non-O visa tomorrow. One of the docs required from this list is a letter certifying my marital status.

6.1.3 A copy of letter certifying marital status before registration of marriage (a copy of letter certifying that the applicant is single) (In absence of such letter, a copy thereof can be obtained from the District Office where the marriage was registered.)

I registered my marriage in Thailand back in Sep 8, but cannot remember if the Amphur actually kept both my English and translated marriage affidavit. Could anyone who has had the same experience or knowledge on the matter confirm this?

Do I go to the Amphur I registered my marriage and ask them to give me a copy of both versions (Thai & English)?

Thank you

Edited by EdwardM

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

You can go to "any" amphoe/district office in Thailand to get the marriage doc.  Your Thai wife will probably be the one needing to request the doc (a.k.a. Kor Ror 2/Kor Ror 22).

Hi Pib, I am wondering about the "A copy of letter certifying marital status before registration of marriage" though, which from my understanding refers to the marriage affidavit confirming I was single before I registered my marriage. Said doc was also supposed to be certified by my embassy (which it was.)

1 minute ago, EdwardM said:

Hi Pib, I am wondering about the "A copy of letter certifying marital status before registration of marriage" though, which from my understanding refers to the marriage affidavit confirming I was single before I registered my marriage. Said doc was also supposed to be certified by my embassy (which it was.)

You will not need that since you said you have already registered your marriage in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

You will not need that since you said you have already registered your marriage in Thailand.

That was my understanding too. But checking the list of docs required again now, it is confusing to me as the way it is written, it sounds like I will need to provide all 3 of the following:

1. Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 2)

2. Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3)

3. A copy of letter certifying marital status before registration of marriage

Or am I actually required to show only one of the above mentioned items? ????

In doing my marriage extensions of stay all I have ever been required to provide is a copy of the marriage certificate (kor for 3) and certificate still married (kor ror 2).

But since you are getting your initial Non O marriage visa the "certifying martial status" is supposedly required according to that list you provided.    Expect only you or the "office you originally registered at" would have a copy.

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

In doing my marriage extensions of stay all I have ever been required to provide is a copy of the marriage certificate (kor for 3) and certificate still married (kor ror 2)

Can I ask, have you been using CW office? When was the last time you did the extension?

2 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Can I ask, have you been using CW office? When was the last time you did the extension?

About a month ago for my 3rd marriage extension of stay at CW....I live in Bangkok.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EdwardM said:

They normally do not ask for a copy of affirmation of permit to marry document from the embassy. It is really meant for a couple that recently go tmarried (within 30 days or so).

15 hours ago, EdwardM said:
15 hours ago, Pib said:

That was my understanding too. But checking the list of docs required again now, it is confusing to me as the way it is written, it sounds like I will need to provide all 3 of the following:

1. Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 2)

2. Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3)

3. A copy of letter certifying marital status before registration of marriage

Or am I actually required to show only one of the above mentioned items? ????

You need #1 & #2 from above

I just completed my Non O based on marriage, that's I needed to show.

[Kor Ror 2 needs to be annually renewed before each application/ext'n].

• Thanks 1