"Hybrid Romance Scams" net fraudsters 861 million baht

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Don't fall for profile images

RTP deputy spokeswoman Lt-Col Naphawan Panya warned the public about Hybrid Romance Scams. 

These are a relatively new way that the lonely seeking love online are ripped off.

Criminals use nice looking profile images on platforms like Line, Facebook and Instagram to gain the trust of the unwary.

They are then invited to invest money in what turns out to be Ponzi schemes.

Interest is paid at first then the investment all goes missing.

Losses in the first ten months of this year have been 861,496,631 in 2,123 cases reported to the www.thaipoliceonline.com page.

In October 150 million in losses in 189 cases was reported. 

Call 1441 or the cyber cops on 081-8663000 to report such crime, reported Daily News

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, outsider said:

Oh do they? You mean like how the RTP are using a pretty-faced Lt-Col as a picture caption to front their news to gain the trust of the unwary?

Well, that pic gained my trust already. Now I'm waiting for the investment offer ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Low intelligence, greed and loneliness will do their ponzi trick.  But above all, Greed.

It happens all over the world (see Bernie Madoff).  Maybe school-children should be taught at all ages that there is no such thing as a free lunch.  None. Never.

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Hybrid ......romance scams , ? , hook you with a nice picture of film star,

then con you in a ponzi scheme , is that it .?
"Losses in the first ten months of this year have been 861,496,631 in 2,123 cases reported "

looks like there is one born every minute .

regards Worgeordie

More than one by the look of it.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, blazes said:

Low intelligence, greed and loneliness will do their ponzi trick.  But above all, Greed.

It happens all over the world (see Bernie Madoff).  Maybe school-children should be taught at all ages that there is no such thing as a free lunch.  None. Never.

There are free lunches. Bitcoin and Ethereum.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I definitely prefer the offline version:

Pretty girl comes to me and smiles at me and tells me what a handsome man I am. 

She asks me if I want to invest 3k. I agree. I pay, she delivers. Win/win.

Why make it more difficult online?

That's because we are "old school" and had an education... these people are the new cyber age... and learnt nothing from the streets.