What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

Hotels - rent

Curries - do not buy

Yoghurt - no idea. only buy for cooking. ice cream way more expensive

Sports drinks - do not buy

Amoxy - true

Massages - true

Dentists- true but quality is much lower

Car hire - do not need to hire a car

Buses- do not need

Taxis- do not need

Trains- do not need

Tours- why?

Electricity- true

Water -true

Glasses -true

Boats- why?

13 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

RE taxes and medical care are definitely cheaper here. Materials more expensive here, labour much less but quality less also. No idea about EVs or solar. More importantly, ice cream is definitely more expensive here

Swensen's much cheaper here than USA, especially on Tues with 2/1 member card.  I believe other fast food chains are cheaper, and served up better here though ????  

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, bang saen guy said:

Hotels - rent

Curries - do not buy

Yoghurt - no idea. only buy for cooking. ice cream way more expensive

Sports drinks - do not buy

Amoxy - true

Massages - true

Dentists- true

Car hire - do not need to hire a car

Buses- do not need

Taxis- do not need

Trains- do not need

Tours- why?

Electricity- true

Water -true

Glasses -true

Boats- why?

So I was right about the entire list. Why boats? Bangkok has great cheap boat trips. Krabi has awesome boat trips from 600 baht.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BostonJoe said:

We live in Hua Hin family of 3 with 4 more mooching off us , so 7 all together . House, cars paid for. We spend  around 150 thousand Baht a month  If I could just get rid of thr 4 free loaders  Anyone have interest in my sister inlaw let me know

150,000 a month ?? thats a lot can you break that down a bit for us?

22 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

This always baffles me. The only thing I find cheaper here is rent

Cheaper than WHERE? Electricity @ 5Bht per unit, same for water, 1Gb/s optic @ Bht 749 per month. Diesel @ Bht 36 per litre. Food is way cheaper if not too much falang stuff. And of course, the company of a relatively slim young lady.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You seem to be coming from a partial position of ignorance.....as you admit yourself wrt taxis. 

I accept you are correct wrt 'Care', medical for example....in my case as I am from the UK where it is free at point of need (but you pay high taxes for it). But that comparison fails if one considers say the expensive USA. Thailand can offer cheaper options than the expensive Private Hospitals.

No 'push' wrt auto fuel when one considers over 50%  fuel tax and VAT..... by the way, that VAT, on everything, is 20% in UK, France, 19% Germany, currently just 7% in Thailand. Near zero property taxes here, no local 'rates' as such. I struggle to see where Thailand is more expensive, but where do you compare to?

I think petrol prices are similar to the US. I know the UK is considerably more. I worked in London for a while. Almost had a heart attack first time I topped up my car.

Mistyped care. Meant auto prices compared with the US. I use gov't hospitals here. Chonburi Hospital is great if you do not mind the wait

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When's the last time you shopped for it.

Publix market, one of the cheapest place, 1/2 gal:

image.png.48e652eae0cdf43b2bbcb933f6dd9cee.png

Sorry. 1/2 gallon at Wal-Mart is 7.98 But you are right. Last time I actually bought some it was $5.00. Been a while

Edited by bang saen guy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Whopper, same price USA/TH ... $4.19/฿155 (4.19 X 37 = 155)

image.png.373b2b3158111b597bae1adf91efa910.png

Burger King is a rip off in Thailand. Bad burgers anyway.

Wine, some fruits like strawberries and proper western cooked food are the main things that are expensive.

Mulberries 39 baht a punnet

Strawberries 359 baht

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Burger King is a rip off in Thailand. Bad burgers anyway.

Wine, some fruits like strawberries and proper western cooked food are the main things that are expensive.

Mulberries 39 baht a punnet

Strawberries 359 baht

Burger King, FHS we can do without that junk food living here.

Yes wine gets taxed as it is imported luxury item.... but you can get a 3 litre box of it for under 1000 baht if you must, 

My Mrs seems to find strawberries at a reasonable price from the market when in season...the very wide variety of cheap tropical fruits makes it a poor comparison... but if one must, see how much you have to pay for rambutan in the UK.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Burger King, FHS we can do without that junk food living here.

Yes wine gets taxed as it is imported luxury item.... but you can get a 3 litre box of it for under 1000 baht if you must, 

My Mrs seems to find strawberries at a reasonable price from the market when in season...the very wide variety of cheap tropical fruits makes it a poor comparison... but if one must, see how much you have to pay for rambutan in the UK.

Mine only buys local strawberries. They must be cheap or she would not buy them