Calls for more serious punishment after Police Hospital doctor in Porsche gets community service for TWO DUI deaths

webfact

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not from what I see in the UK and many other developed nations. the wealthier & more famous receive no preferential treatment when it comes to DUI….  

But, they have access to better lawyers ! 

Not in the UK, but I guess it was a "developed nation.

The People of the State of California v. Orenthal James Simpson was a criminal trial in Los Angeles County Superior Court in which former National Football League player, broadcaster and actor O. J. Simpson was tried and acquitted for the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Wikipedia

You mean there is a movement to encourage the courts to actually do what they are paid to do, and the same applies to the cops? And favoritism is to be avoided? There is a change a coming. I feel it in the air tonight. Maybe society will eventually compel rational and fair behavior on the part of the most partial institution in the nation. The entirely broken judiciary system. 

12 hours ago, bobbin said:

Point taken about how financial compensation plays a large role in Thai justice.

But putting a Doctor in jail is absolutely required in this case.. otherwise I guarantee he will re-offend with drunk driving..

Two people lost their lives to his stupidity.

What's the Hippocratic Oath that governs his working life? 

"Do no harm.."

The prison system needs Doctors 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Kanpong Siri-Isaranan, son of one of the victims, announced the family's intention to appeal the sentence for a longer jail term and no suspension. He said that the defendant had shown no remorse and his apologies were not genuine.

Excellent news.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Wouldn't this be called Vehicular Manslaughter? Should get jail time and banned for life, but in Thailand he has money and influence, so we'll let him off?

Thailand Justice system SUCKS!

Two tier Thailand...  money talks influentials walk.

• Like 1

Another view on this,drinking and driving is a social problem.

People will sell you alcohol until you can not walk anymore

and then watch you leave with a smile.

When the drunk person causes an accident the same people

who sold it to them will talk bad about the drunk driver.

What about making society be responsible for drunk drivers also?

Take the keys away is a good first step but then again,this is Thailand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not just about justice....  its about ‘sending the message’ that this behaviour is unacceptable and will be punished.

This is where the Thai legal system fails - the flaws and in-balance in the system simply enable people to continue on with flagrant disregard for the laws because they know they can get away with it.... 

Its that simple... Ask anyone who drink-drives here in Thailand if they would dare do the same in the UK, Japan or Middle East etc and we’d receive an emphatic ‘No !!!’... 

..... So, why do those very same people do so [drink and drive] in Thailand ?????

Of course, we all know the answer. 

What sentence would you get if at Southwark Crown court?

15 hours ago, jvs said:

It seems appropriate for Thailand for some strange reason.

I did not say i agree with it but it is what it is,we are not in our home country.

It's completely inappropriate and you know that and would be up in arms if it happen to you or yours

On 11/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, worgeordie said:

has always been two sets of laws in Thailand , them and us......

I beg to differ.  There have always been three sets of rules here.  One for the wealthy connected Thai's, one for the ordinary/peasant Thai's and the third one for us foreigners.  How many times have us foreigners been specifically been targeted when ordinary Thai's are given a free pass?  Helmet and license checks seem high on the list especially in Pattaya.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:37 AM, jvs said:

I will probably get a few negatives on this one but here is another point of view.

The Thai justice system being what it is,it is not the same wherever you

are from,

He already paid the family and that goes a long way here in Thailand.

Ok, i agree the sentence should have jail time but he got off easy.

On the other hand,putting a doctor in jail while there is a shortage of doctors will not do any one any good.

As far as justice (the Thai way) goes,the family did receive justice.

Yes, i know,

Well no one can say you are wrong negative criticism on the way.

Just a thought about shortage of doctors ect so why can't he be a doctor to fellow inmates?

If he works hard in prison reduces his sentence for good behaviour 

'The accident happened by the Bang wa BTS.'

This was no 'accident',     It was a collision,    If we call such events as being accidents we imply there is some sort of abstract event that distances the perpetrator from the crash.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, seajae said:

in Thailand the law only applies to the "peasants", once again we see just how much of a joke thai law/courts are

seems that it depends how much cash you have or who you know..to how many people you can kill..I wonder if they have a scale in which they calculate..only in Thailand ...Laws in this country are a joke .. wonder how much was in the envelope eh