Thai berry pickers in Sweden seek help from House Labour Affairs Committee

snoop1130

S__3547224.jpg

A group of Thai berry pickers lodged a complaint today (Wednesday) with the House Labour Affairs Committee, seeking an investigation of the Employment Service Department and the company which hired them to pick wild berries in Sweden, claiming that they were cheated by their employer.

The workers said they applied for the jobs in Sweden in July, at the Khon Kaen provincial hall. A training program was provided and employment contracts were eventually signed at the hall, with uniformed officials, who claimed to be from the Labour Ministry, supervising the employment service activities.

They claim that they were promised minimum pay of 23,183 Swedish krona, or about 81,000 baht, for working from July 13th to September 28th.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-berry-pickers-in-sweden-seek-help-from-house-labour-affairs-committee/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

24 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Its a sucker deal.  Work rarely if ever even pays for flights.  My now GF had three cracks at it with her former partner (a Tom) who had an aunt that was married to a guy there.  They had a fun time, lots and lots of photos, were out in some lovely forest areas...saw a bear...ate lots of salmon...but on all occassions came home with less money then they left with...kind of a working holiday at best.

And yes you are paid by the weight of the berries you pick, and having to actually do something to get paid will come as a big shock to most Thai workers.

I wouldn't classify seeing a wild bear as being "fun" .

Maybe the bear wasn't in the mood for a Thai that day ?

The salaries and worker benefits are regulated by Swedish law. They are just being screwed by the local employment companies. The same goes for the Thai workers in Finland, Israel, Middle East and elsewhere.

And I'm sure that some local "foreign contracting" companies are just salivating at the thought of Saudi Arabia opening up again for Thai unskilled labor.

When I was in Saudi in the early 80's some Indian workers have been telling me they had to pay the first 2-4 months salary on top of transportation just to get a contract.

15 hours ago, proton said:

Pay depends on how much they pick, more for rarer berry types, some hardly break even.

Why should we all break our backs?
Better pick a pocket or two
Who says crime doesn't pay?
Robin Hood what a crook, gave away what he took
Charity's fine, subscribe to mine, get out and pick a pocket or two, you
Gotta pick a pocket or two boys, you gotta pick a pocket or two