Yellow Book issues - Wang Noi District Office

On 11/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, Captor said:

Dear Toolong, you where not slow. I was! I just answered you yesterday ????

Yes, this is very interesting and all this happen the last 3 weeks. So it is not old information. Chaeng Wattana was on Monday as I got the 1 year extension so that was a perfect opportunity to raise this question with them in the main Immigration of Thailand. But it was not known by them. Talked with the correct people there. Not the extension officer.

I would like to hear if others have any knowledge about this as well. I have also heard about people having this restriction (in Thai) on the backside of the license for many years already and not know about it as it is in Thai and they have driven all around in Thailand and also been stopped by the police several times with no problem ????. At least it is a good idea to ask at DLT next time about this and then choose passport or ID card. The person at the amphure called them and asked about this as it was news for him and then DLT just hanged up the phone! The man at the am amphure called 2 times with the same result. It was surrealistic!

It is worth to mention that this maybe can affect the insurance if having an accident. So better check with them as well.

I would be happy to hear if you find more information about this. I personally have decided to bring the international driving license with me all the time and after 2 years I will renew it with the passport for the 5 years driving license.

These pink cards also say on the back that you need written permission to leave your province. 

They are meant for migrant workers. 

• Like 1

I sold a motorbike on Monday and gave the buyer a copy of my pink id card along with the signed transfer form. The buyer was a bit worried about whether the transfer would go smoothly so I went with them to the DLT office. They had a lady at a desk near to the door who checked the documents over and then asked for my passport so I gave her a signed copy (original was in my pocket). After looking the transfer form over again, I was then asked if I had a yellow book, so I gave them a signed copy of that and said I also had the original with me (which they didn't ask to see). 

After looking over the documents one final time, the copies of my passport and yellow book were then handed back to me as "not needed", just the copy of my pink id required.

Quite why they asked to see documents they don't need is anyones guess but in all honesty, the whole process was done quickly and both buyer and seller were very happy with the whole experience.

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

These pink cards also say on the back that you need written permission to leave your province. 

They are meant for migrant workers. 

For some reason your negative bias regarding the Pink ID forces you muddy the waters and paint an inaccurate picture while either deliberately or through inattention to detail you miss out a key piece of information 

The Pink ID States: 

< 'The person whose name on the card is not allowed to leave the issuing card area, except those who have an alien identification certificate or who has written permission'. >

In this case a Passport is an alien identification certificate - There are no restrictions at all on any Foreigners who hold the Pink ID and a Passport from leaving their province.

IMG_0223.jpg

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For some reason your negative bias regarding the Pink ID forces you muddy the waters and paint an inaccurate picture while either deliberately or through inattention to detail you miss out a key piece of information 

The Pink ID States: 

’The person whose name on the card is not allowed to leave the issuing card area, except those who have an alien identification certificate or who has written permission. 

In this case a Passport is an alien identification certificate - There are no restrictions at all on any Foreigners who hold the Pink ID and a Passport from leaving their province.

IMG_0223.jpg

I have no negative bias, I see it as it is. 

Who told you an alien ID cert. is the same as a passport?

Google translate lol. 

Are you saying that foreigners leaving their home province need to take their passport to avoid breaking the law, despite having a so called "Thai ID" ? 

Kinda defeats the purpose of the card, which is not to need to carry passport! 

Yes, if you had a pink card during covid, you could have been vaccinated a couple of weeks before others. 

There really is no other use for this card. 

Some say you don't need to get a resident cert. every 5 years to renew DL. 

I couldn't use it for that in Khon Kaen 2 years ago. 2 banks wouldn't accept it and made me show my passport. 

If its a hassle to get the yellow book, forget it and use your passport.

Taking it out the safe every 5 years is no big deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I have no negative bias, I see it as it is. 

You exude negative bias in any of these Pink ID threads... You don’t see it as it is.. You see it as your bias allows you to see it. 

Who told you an alien ID cert. is the same as a passport?

Who told you that it isn’t ?

But yes, I have been told by friends who work in Thai Immigration that the Pink ID does not limit travel because we have a passport with Supersedes the Pink ID.

Thats also common sense, you don’t recognise the common sense because you bias agains the Pink ID card is blinding you. 

Google translate lol. 

For everyone else to see where you clearly *(deliberately ?) missed the section and only quoted that holders of the Pink ID cannot leave the province, thus showing your bias and not presenting the full story. 

Are you saying that foreigners leaving their home province need to take their passport to avoid breaking the law, despite having a so called "Thai ID" ? 

Yes... Pink ID is valid in province. 

Kinda defeats the purpose of the card, which is not to need to carry passport! 

No it doesn’t. Because I’m mostly ‘in province’ so don’t carry the passport and rely on the Pink ID for numerous things when in Bangkok. 

When I travel out of the Province (within Thailand) about once every couple of months, I take my passport, I would with or without the Pink card. 

Yes, if you had a pink card during covid, you could have been vaccinated a couple of weeks before others. 

Read the threads from May / June 2020 - Mileage varied... but in general those with the pink ID were months ahead of those without.

Initially, we also needed the number on the back of the Pink ID to register with Mor Prom (not just the main number on the front). 

There really is no other use for this card. 

Some say you don't need to get a resident cert. every 5 years to renew DL. 

I couldn't use it for that in Khon Kaen 2 years ago. 2 banks wouldn't accept it and made me show my passport. 

I could, the Pink ID / Yellow Book has saved me money. 

In previous threads you have agreed that the Yellow Book has its uses - you are changing your tune here. 

The Pink ID takes and extra 15 mins and 40 Baht to obtain - there’s no logical reason not to go the extra step. 

If its a hassle to get the yellow book, forget it and use your passport.

Taking it out the safe every 5 years is no big deal. 

What about traveling outside of the province ? (you used that argument earlier).

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I could, the Pink ID / Yellow Book has saved me money. 

In previous threads you have agreed that the Yellow Book has its uses - you are changing your tune here. 

The yellow book has some uses, I was talking about the Pink ID card when you quoted me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What about traveling outside of the province ? (you used that argument earlier).

Not sure what you mean here. If you have a pink card, you need to take your passport. If not, you don't need to take your passport outside the province, a Driver's license is enough. 

You are the king of the 'I've got a great pink non-Thai ID card that puts on the same level as a Burmese labourer or Cambodian cleaner brigade". You can fool some into thinking it is worth getting but certainly not me. Fellow Thais laugh at farang showing off this card, thinking they have somehow penetrated into Thai society ???? .

This card was designed to keep track of Migrant workers and stateless persons,  more like a gold star than anything beneficial.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But yes, I have been told by friends who work in Thai Immigration that the Pink ID does not limit travel because we have a passport with Supersedes the Pink ID.

They are wrong, anyway immigration have nothing to do with these cards. As said above, the cards are meant for labourers and when farang started wanting them, they couldn't be bothered to make different ones.  Immigation don't even recognize the yellow book and are really not interested in that or the pink card.

Another thing, the migrant workers can use these cards as they get health insurance, whereas Westerners can't. 

Edited by Neeranam

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:
14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not sure what you mean here. If you have a pink card, you need to take your passport. If not, you don't need to take your passport outside the province, a Driver's license is enough. 

Ah, OK... I see where you are coming from now. 

I would never leave the province without my Passport anyway - just incase I need to prove immigration status and they don’t accept the photos on my phone. 

In fairness, that could also happen in BKK with my Pink ID - but my passport is retrievable within the ‘reasonable timeframe’ stipulation (which has never been clarified - but I’d assume 1 hour). 

But, as you mentioned DL outside of ’the’ Province, I have the DL to show - the BiB have no idea that I have a Pink ID if I don’t show it (if we're being pedantic, I suppose they could ’search’ and find it).

The point I want to make here is that you imply that its actually a ’negative’ to have Pink ID if travelling outside of the province, where as I argue that it makes no difference whatsoever.

------

Going slightly off topic: Many embassies etc advise that ‘we’ [foreigners] must carry our Passports. 

As I understand it the regulation is... 'Foreigners must carry a form of Photo ID issued by a government body, or be able to provide such ID within a reasonable time frame upon request’...

Thus: IS the Thai Driving Licence Valid for this ?... in which case, Is our home country Driving Licence Valid for this ?...   Some argue that ONLY a Passport is valid for this - I use the Pink ID for this (in Bangkok) - the reality is that I’m very rarely stopped by the BiB. 

Last time was a number of years back (in Bangkok, Pre-Pink ID days), I was a passenger in a Taxi, early evening, Asoke. BiB pulled over the taxi, came to my Window asked for Passport. 

I showed my Thai Driving Licence, they told me to get out of the taxi... I said no. Suggested they take the call I’m about to make. Call my ‘Phone a friend Option’ who spoke with them, Thai DL handed back, waved on....  

These were the scamming charlatans from the Thonglor Police station who were notorious for getting people to pee in cups on the side of the road and attempt to extort fines out of them (some 10 years ago) - a money maker until there was sufficient bad publicity. 

You are the king of the 'I've got a great pink non-Thai ID card that puts on the same level as a Burmese labourer or Cambodian cleaner brigade". You can fool some into thinking it is worth getting but certainly not me.

Flawed debate / argument technique - exaggerating your accusation.

There’s nothing great about the Pink ID - it can be useful to have, but its not needed - it adds some convenience in some circumstances (I’ve never claimed otherwise(. 

It is your false claims on these matters that I counter because you are spreading misinformatoin about the card.

Fellow Thais laugh at farang showing off this card, thinking they have somehow penetrated into Thai society ???? .

This is where you highlight your ‘chip on the shoulder’...  Your projection that Thai’s laugh, you made such claims in previous threads and then back-tracked when called out for claiming you know Thai’s better than anyone else because you have gained citizenship - note your use of ‘fellow Thais’ to bolster your claims...  

This card was designed to keep track of Migrant workers and stateless persons,  more like a gold star than anything beneficial.

You've use the ‘gold star - holocaust’ argument before and been slammed for it - a wholly distasteful and wrongly exaggerated straw-man argument there...  You should know better than that and present smarter arguments. 

Looking at the Pink ID card from a ‘Balanced Optic’ - the Cards are not the same. 

- Migrants Labourers are issued the Pink ID in lieu of a Passport as they entered illegally and have no other form of legal ID in Thailand (in many cases). 

- Westerners need a Passport and Yellow Book to get the Pink ID. 

The cards are issue for different purposes - the Pink card is simply an ID card for foreigners in Thailand’...

The yellow book has some uses, I was talking about the Pink ID card when you quoted me. 

OK... So you have accepted that the Yellow Book can be worth having.

So, what’s so horrific about spending the extra 10-15 mins and 40 baht to get the Pink ID at the same time ????

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They are wrong, anyway immigration have nothing to do with these cards.

You keep changing your tune to suit your point.

You’ve mentioned that they are cars for migrant labourers... 

You’ve mentioned that immigration have nothing to do with these cards...

So what ID do immigration check for when they raid a factory full of labourers etc ????

As said above, the cards are meant for labourers and when farang started wanting them, they couldn't be bothered to make different ones. 

Yep - I agree with this...  (they should made them another colour then)... 

So, they are the same ‘looking card’ and both function as a 'non-Thai, Thailand ID card’ but their function varies depending on the holder - different card then ? or same same nid-noi different ?

Immigation don't even recognize the yellow book and are really not interested in that or the pink card.

Neither are Burger King - whats your point ?

Another thing, the migrant workers can use these cards as they get health insurance, whereas Westerners can't. 

So it is different from a Mirgrant workers card or it isn’t... Make up your mind !!!... 

Getting back on topic... 

Whether the Yellow Book is useful to us is an individual thing - all our needs are slightly different. 

IS the Book worth the effort to get, again, thats individual - Some of us don’t mind a little leg work, we also find doing things such as this an interesting insight of how things are done in Thailand and expose us to various aspects / offices / officers etc and interact with people we many not interact with otherwise....  This could be related to the ‘assimilation’ thread.... and how we adapt and adopt... 

Thus: Obtaining the Yellow book requires some adaptation to a little hoop jumping, some adoption of local tolerance to ‘the silly stuff’....  

Op.. Keep trying, you’ll get there and you may find it an interesting process - just for an additional glance at life here if nothing else. 

But... whatever you do, don’t let another Westerner see it - that Westerner could be Neeraman and he’ll accuse of you waiving it around like you think it gives you special powers !!!!! ????

• Thumbs Up 1