Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

A very difficult situation for the Tory government with so many strikes happening or starting in December . The armed forces can only cover for so much . If Sunak tries to rule with an iron fist we may see the country grind to a halt .  Most pay claims seem to be made on the back of today's cost of living and the high rate of inflation . Keeping in mind that the BOE forecast that the inflation rate will drop to 6% or under next year , then maybe pay claims should be held in abeyance until the financial situation has calmed down . 

My only backing is for the nurses who have a justified case unlike the railway men etc , ( under the leadership of Mick Lynch ), whose average pay of £44,000 per year is way ahead of the national medium , pure greed . Maybe time to nationalise the railways and all services that can hold the country to ransom and effect the lives of many without any care or consideration for others .  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I'm not sure I would say Brexit is the 'MAIN cause for the failing economy' as obviously the debt run up during Covid and the energy price hike caused by the Ukrainian war are also major contributory factors. I would however say Brexit is a major contributory factor to the UK's woes. Of that there can be no denying (despite many posters here attempting to do just that).

Brexit is done and dusted. Highly unlikely to rejoin, so accept it and move on. Moaning about it isn't going to help anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Stop sending money abroad, get out of NATO, sell arms to other countries, buy oil from Russia, do deals with China,  get immigrants to work straight away to save loss in farm produced products in UK. Make beer completely tax free to save pubs, turn the channel tunnel into a supergun, let motorbikes only go as fast as they want UK.

Ok Captain Chaos. Those are some 'out there' ideas for sure but not very practical.

The UK has long-standing obligations to foreign aid that can't just be turned off like a tap. NATO offers the UK a better option for defence against stronger aggressors (Russia for example) than 'going it alone'. We already sell far more arms to countries than is conscionable to many and there's no way in hell the UK should be beholding to Russia and it's oil as we have seen how the likes of Germany are suffering badly from putting all their eggs in one basket. We do plenty of deals with China already and many UK exporters (particularly luxury goods and the likes of Scotch producers) count China as one of it's top 3 markets. 

However I've no issue with putting immigrants to work straight away (and I'm sure many of them would welcome it) but the incompetance from the Tory government means asylum applications are so far behind where they need to be to make this practicly impossible. 

I take it the last 3 are just for yourself so will leave it at that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

The topic for this thread is 'why is the UK struggling more than other countries' and therefore Brexit has to be mentioned. It's not 'moaning'; it's pointing out the obvious.

In contrast, all Brexit fans just want to do is bury their heads in the sand and attempt to deny Brexit isn't a major contributory factor to the UK's current problems. This is despite all of the facts and data saying it is.  

No we don't.

"all" .....don't be so arrogant 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Brexit is done and dusted. Highly unlikely to rejoin, so accept it and move on. Moaning about it isn't going to help anything.

Pointing out the fact that Brexit is the main cause of the current crisis is certainly appropriate, and the way the mood has swung against that particularly brain dead decision I hope for Britain's sake they are able to swallow their pride and rejoin before the rest of Europe has to start sending food parcels to starving Brits.

Personally, I'd be willing to send food, but only to people who either voted against or have changed their minds. The rest can feast on their "independence".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

The topic for this thread is 'why is the UK struggling more than other countries' and therefore Brexit has to be mentioned. It's not 'moaning'; it's pointing out the obvious.

In contrast, all Brexit fans just want to do is bury their heads in the sand and attempt to deny Brexit isn't a major contributory factor to the UK's current problems. This is despite all of the facts and data saying it is.  

Not so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Quite a few actually.

My most recent was a good friend who runs a building company in Leeds (popular topic for many on this thread). He voted Brexit to 'keep the immigrants out' not realising that many of his sub-contractors used a lot of Polish workers (stupid mistake really). He now struggles to get the work done and when it can be done, it costs him 30-40% more than before. Couple this with logistic problems in getting supplies and generally everything costing a lot more than it used to, he is really struggling to remain competative.

He DEFINATELY has buyers remorse.   

Quite a few? My mate.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There's adequate evidence posted in this thread which sows the UK doing worse than all its peers despite all of them also having war and covid affecting their economies. They just didn't have brexit.

No there isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Quite a few? My mate.

I was in the building trade and gang leaders and sub contractors  hiring cheap labour is what the problem is. 

Many left the building trades, I witnessed it and I was one who left to. 

All trades were getting offered less and less money because of immigrant cheap labour getting into the the building industry also profit driven management companies full of inexperienced students. 

Many Architects were laughable to deal with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Quite a few? My mate.

Yes 'quite a few'.

There's also my other friend who is also in the building industry who voted out to 'stop the Poles from nicking all the jobs' only to find he can't get the people to do the work now and those that do want twice as much money as he was paying before. There's another friend who runs a bar/bistro who can't get enough staff and all his costs have gone up dramatically and finally another friend who services small, private aeroplanes who struggles to get the parts which are all invariably imported.

Each one of them have said how much of a mess their respective businesses are in after Brexit and how if they knew what they knew now, they'd have voted to remain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1