Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

It's certainly not good news that those working in construction in the Eurozone are pessimistic about their immediate future prospects, but why should an index that only covers one sector be the best leading indicator for the economy as a whole?

This isn't just about construction , these are figures from 19 different industries 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, Scott said:

it is very concerning that the UK economy remains smaller than just before the pandemic three years ago.

From a BOE official.

“It’s undeniable now that we’re seeing a much bigger slowdown in trade in the UK compared to the rest of the world,” Dr Dhingra, who is also an associate professor at the London School of Economics (LSE), told MPS.

She said that British households had seen their food shopping expenses rise 6 per cent higher than other countries in recent years, referencing research by LSE students that examined the impact of the UK’s poorer trading terms since Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-inflation-food-bank-england-b2226475.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

From a BOE official.

“It’s undeniable now that we’re seeing a much bigger slowdown in trade in the UK compared to the rest of the world,” Dr Dhingra, who is also an associate professor at the London School of Economics (LSE), told MPS.

She said that British households had seen their food shopping expenses rise 6 per cent higher than other countries in recent years, referencing research by LSE students that examined the impact of the UK’s poorer trading terms since Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-inflation-food-bank-england-b2226475.html

So from your link, that is comparing the U.K to four other Countries, the four other Countries with the biggest economies ?

"She added: “The simple way of thinking about what Brexit has done to the economy is that in the period after the referendum, there was the biggest depreciation that any of the world’s four major economies have seen overnight."

"She said that British households had seen their food shopping expenses rise 6 per cent higher than other countries in recent years, referencing research by LSE students that examined the impact of the UK’s poorer trading terms since Brexit."

Inflation in the U.K may be 6 per cent higher than some other countries , but generally inflation in the U.K is about average when comparing to the World

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Inflation in the U.K may be 6 per cent higher than some other countries , but generally inflation in the U.K is about average when comparing to the World

I'd like them to name the countries with 6% lower inflation than the UK. It ain't Europe, the claim 8%+ inflation. It ain't Oz, they've got 10% inflation, same as UK. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This isn't just about construction , these are figures from 19 different industries 

The opinions may be drawn from construction managers working in  different industries but the graph which you published relates to construction not other sectors, and there are separate indices for the manufacturing and service sectors. Therefore, the graph you published cannot be said to be representative of the views of managers throughout all sectors of the economy.

In any event, while the S&P indices may be important indicators, where is the evidence to support your categoric contention that they are the "best indicator of economic growth"?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

Perfectly valid points, but at the end of the day it cannot be denied that brexit to the NHS was like amputating the foot of a one legged man.

One legged people often become that way from poor life style and neglect.

Given I think that Brexit was an excellent event, I can't agree with you.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

From a BOE official.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So there is no chance the UK inflation would be lower than it is if brexit hadn't taken place.

Of course you are perfectly entitled to disagree, doesn't make it right.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like them to name the countries with 6% lower inflation than the UK. It ain't Europe, the claim 8%+ inflation. It ain't Oz, they've got 10% inflation, same as UK. 

Good deflection but you need to show us where it says at this point in time.

"She said that British households had seen their food shopping expenses rise 6 per cent higher than other countries in recent years, referencing research by LSE students that examined the impact of the UK’s poorer trading terms since Brexit."

• Like 2

23 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Vetting in the Uk is quite stringent (and has got more stringent after Brexit) and is based on a very similar 'points based' system to Australia. https://www.y-axis.com/migrate/uk/

ELIGIBILITY

In 2020, the UK government announced a points-based immigration system. The main features of the points-based migration are:

• Candidates for immigration to the EU and non-EU countries shall be considered equally.
  • The points-based system must be followed by highly skilled workers, skilled workers, and students who wish to come to the UK.
  • For skilled workers, a job offer is required.
  • The salary level has been cut from 30,000 pounds to 26,000 pounds per year.
  • Applicants must demonstrate their ability to communicate in English (A-level or equivalent).
  • Highly skilled professionals must be endorsed by a UK authority, but they are not required to have a job offer.
  • 70 points is the minimum score required to be eligible for a visa

To say 'the majority of those in rubber dinghies are economic, illegal gate crashers with Albanian mafia connections' is somewhat harsh but there is a point to establishing whether people are in fact true asylum seekers or just economic migrants. There is supposed to be a stringent vetting process for asylum seekers v economic migrants but even if someone is refused asylum, a lot of them get to stay in the country  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/22/nine-in-10-people-refused-asylum-in-2020-free-to-remain-in-uk-home-office 

This is obviously a huge problem that needs addressing. Again though, this is for the Tories to sort out after campaigning so strongly on immigration for Brexit.   

So why is the preferred country of choice for so many so called asylum seekers , the UK ?  If they have fled from central Asia they would hit southern Europe first but choose not to settle there but instead make the long journey to France and then pay £4000 for a rubber dinghy illegal trip to the UK where they will be housed and put on the benefit system . Asylum seekers do not have to any skills , job offers or any command of the English language . Where it says , Applicants must demonstrate their ability to communicate in English (A-level or equivalent). That has to be a joke because many of the eastern Europeans struggle to make any sense with a weak English speech . Am I right that Australia process their asylum seekers , not in Australia but in a Pacific island ?Indeed that is what Suella Braveman wants to do but in Rwanda and Peru . I hope she succeeds .

•  
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RayC said:

Re your final paragraph: To date, the over-whelming weight of evidence supports the view that Brexit has damaged the UK economy. Given this, I don't see why it should be a problem to highlight this evidence.

There are some things that are more important than the economy , although the only thing that matters to Brits living in Thailand is the Pound/Baht exchange rate

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are some things that are more important than the economy , although the only thing that matters to Brits living in Thailand is the Pound/Baht exchange rate

Is that an admission that Brexit did damage the UK economy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are some things that are more important than the economy

Issues that we might both agree fit into that category: Family, friends, health, safety, community off the top of my head.

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

, although the only thing that matters to Brits living in Thailand is the Pound/Baht exchange rate

That does appear to be the case for a large majority

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's called the Construction Purchasing Manager's Index. So what are these 19 industries that employ construction purchasing managers?

Deleted

Edited by RayC
Posted in error

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm not saying it's false but I couldn't find that info. So just share with me the link to that datum. I'd like to see what industries are represented.

I read it online a few days ago, I will so a websearch and find the info again  and post the results later 

28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's called the Construction Purchasing Manager's Index. So what are these 19 industries that employ construction purchasing managers?

In England when management companies took over the building industry that's when it turned turtle and was totally mess up with kids coming from University who knew nowt about how a building site works. 

The building when down hill ever since the small building firms from years ago were bought out. 

I witnessed the demise personally during 34 years in the industry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

After reading all the predictions of British people starving to death, freezing to death and dying in hospitals because no nurses and no drugs if we left the E.U .

Simply still be alive is a success 

This sort of ridiculous exaggeration is typical of those who want to find an excuse not to face facts.

• Love It 2