Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I actually spoke to a guy who flys from Germany to work in London and goes back to Germany for the week-end 

I worked with plenty of Brits who used to fly/ take Eurostar back to the UK at weekends. I suspect that there are a lot fewer doing it nowadays for the simple reason that there are a lot fewer Brits in Brussels.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

I underestimated how bad things were. The North Sea a hotbed of Covid and the Russian and Ukrainian navies fighting it out in British waters!!

I suggest that you send a message to the owner of the Company and tell him that he is wrong about why his Company closed down and the only reason why his Company closed down was because of Brexit and nothing to do with Covid or the Ukrainian war , he really needs to know .

Why not send him an E-mail to tell him ?

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

I worked with plenty of Brits who used to fly/ take Eurostar back to the UK at weekends. I suspect that there are a lot fewer doing it nowadays for the simple reason that there are a lot fewer Brits in Brussels.

Really ?

How many Brits were working in Brussels pre Brexit and how many Brits are working in Brussels post Brexit ?

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

I do recall when all the Brexiters were waxing indignantly about the loss of sovereignty over UK fishing grounds and the wonders Brexit would do for British fishing. Their solicitude for the UK's fishing industry seems to have evaporated as quickly from the scene as did Liz Truss.

Most fairly assumed that leaving meant leaving the EU and all of its control, The so-called withdrawal agreement did not allow that, as everyone can see now.    

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If that was true, why all the moans from Brexiters about the EU treating the UK as though it was no longer a member of the EU but rather an unaffiliated nation even though it still retained some special privileges?

No idea what you're on about.   

25 minutes ago, RayC said:

The responsibility and accountability for the chaos associated with Brexit rests with the UK government.

So what, it was going about  sorting the obstacles which was known would happen.

A little thing called covid happened and that coming to some conclusion a little war started that caused some more problems.

Of course nobody else in the world is having the problems UK is having. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Did you miss math class when you were in school?

COVID + WAR + BREXIT = Outcome A

COVID + WAR + 0           = Outcome B

Now rattle the old grey cells and see if you can spot which outcome will be more severe?

We'd need to borrow your crystal ball.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

I assumed that you would take my comment for what it was: A tongue-in-cheek attempt at humour. Clearly I was wrong.

In any event, not for the first time and -  unfortunately I doubt that it will be the last - you deliberately misrepresent my comment and post a blatant lie. 

Where have I ever stated that Covid and the Ukraine war have had no effect on the economy or businesses? The opposite is true. I have explicitly stated more than once that both events have had a negative influence.

However, in direct contrast to me, you cannot bring yourself to acknowledge - despite all the evidence presented - that Brexit has had a negative effect on the UK economy. 

Having to correct you time and again is tedious. And in answer to the obvious retort that no one is forcing me to reply: Yes, that's correct. But why should outright falsehoods be allowed to go unchallenged?

It seemed to me that you were ridiculing my suggestion that Covid and Ukraine war was responsible for the company closing down , but now you are saying you were just making a joke . 

I now have no idea about whether you are joking or being serious , were 1200 Brits working in Brussels or is that another joke ?

I do have difficulty it telling the difference between your  serious posts and your jokes and I have also now lost track of the discussion 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Same old, same old. Like Mac you continue to totally disregard the wealth of data presented highlighting the negative effects of Brexit.

Our point is that Covid and Ukraine are the main causes of the current problems in the U.K .

Remainers are trying to claim that all the current problems in the UK are caused by Brexit and Brexit alone and that Covid and Ukraine are insignificant 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Love It 2

52 minutes ago, RayC said:

27 other nations are experiencing Brexit problems to varying degrees (although nothing to what the UK is experiencing). 

The justification seems to be you will suffer more than us (which is also incorrect).

The U.K is suffering to the same degree as other E.U Countries , if you look at charts and other info, the U.K is about in the middle (inflation charts and things)

Of course if you pick out the six best performing E.U Countries and compare those six best to the U.K , the U.K would be at the bottom of that list  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

If these obstacles were known why was there no plan to deal with them in advance of them becoming a problem?

There was an offer on the table from the EU to extend the transition period but Johnson declined to accept the offer.

Same old, same old. Like Mac you continue to totally disregard the wealth of data presented highlighting the negative effects of Brexit.

Chomper eloquently displays some equations showing the Brexit position. However, I will disagree with him slightly and agree with you: 27 other nations are experiencing Brexit problems to varying degrees (although nothing to what the UK is experiencing). 

The justification seems to be you will suffer more than us (which is also incorrect).

I don't disregard anything it does no good to go on about the past and didn't do that didn't do this, deal with present. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't disregard anything it does no good to go on about the past and didn't do that didn't do this, deal with present. 

Remainers want to re-join and they are trying to convince everyone that leaving has been disastrous and it would be better if we re-joined 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No you don’t, you need only look at the economic data.

The UK is in recession, the only nation in the G7 with an economy that has not recovered to pre-pandemic levels.

You said "will". That is the future tense. Hence my comment.