Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The U.K is suffering to the same degree as other E.U Countries , if you look at charts and other info, the U.K is about in the middle (inflation charts and things)

Of course if you pick out the six best performing E.U Countries and compare those six best to the U.K , the U.K would be at the bottom of that list  

Even if true (debatable), it does not negate the fact that Brexit has had a negative economic economic impact on the UK.

(This message will repeat every hour. This is an attempt at humour.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Please do not accuse me of lying .

If you personally agree that Brexit wasn't the reason why the Company closed down , then I admit that I was wrong about my suggestion .

There are indeed some people who claim that all the UK's problems are caused by Brexit , but fair enough, it isn't ALL of Remainers who think that and I should have write "Some" Remainers

Please link to any post here that says all UK problems are caused by Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

Unless you have an intimate knowledge of this company e.g. have studied its' accounts, seen its' order book, etc that is nothing but idle speculation.

There has been a huge rise in utility costs and that would have effected the companies profit margin and would have been one of the reasons why they failed .

That is common sense and quite obvious really and its a fact , rather than speculation 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although that is just a forecast, a predication .

Epidemiology predicts that if you smoke 40-a-day you have more chance of developing lung cancer than if you don't smoke.

But, hey, it's just a forecast so puff away!

(Humour with a serious twist)

Edited by RayC
Addition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Epidemiology predicts that if you smoke 40-a-day you have more chance of developing lung cancer than if you don't smoke.

But, hey, it's just a forecast so puff away!

(Humour with a serious twist)

They forecast that it would be sunny today , it just clouded over and drops of rain now , Bitcoin was forecast to be 1 million$  by now 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

BREXIT has resulted in UK trade barriers between the UK and its largest trading partner.

There is no need to have a crystal ball to see trade barrier will negatively impact the economy.

Numerous examples of this are already being reported and referenced within this thread.

Indeed.

However, nobody knows what talks, deals, offers or trades will be made in the FUTURE, which is what you are talking about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They forecast that it would be sunny today , it just clouded over and drops of rain now , Bitcoin was forecast to be 1 million$  by now 

Only by people who make money from click bait YouTube videos. Another popular theme is "Bitcoin will reach it's bottom on this exact date".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The economic impact on the UK economy can’t be hidden, as COVID and the war in Ukraine fade into the past, the reality of Brexit damage will become more apparent.

Time is not on the side of Brexit and the clock is ticking.

Prediction? I thought so.

If not, please post a link showing how things are in the future so I can have a read. Anything dated 2024 onwards will do. Thanks.

Edited by puchooay

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, not fair enough. Another claim for you that you can't confirm. As expected since your claim that people here have said that Brexit is the sole cause of UK problems is simply nonsense.

OK, there are people in this thread who claim that a fishing company closed down because of Brexit  solely because of Brexit and nothing to do with Covid or Ukraine . those are the people I was referring to 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Not a gun but enormous pressure, after 3 years of May's messing about, only ending up with that so-called "Chequers Agreement" failure. In Boris's haste to pick up the gauntlet and get Brexit done, he only succeeded in minor changes to that agreement - that was all done to quickly in the end but it is one reason why Brexit is such a mess, even though, technically, we are out. Yes, responsibility lies with UK governments

The UK government, or more precisely the Tory government, has no one but itself to blame for the situation. From Cameron's calamitous decision to put his own personal political interests above those of the country and call a referendum in the first place, through May's gamble in calling a general election - which backfired disastrous - and fatally weakened her premiership, to Johnson's pact with the 'flat-earth society' (the ERG) - which left him with no room to maneuver - the whole thing has been nothing but a farce of the Tories' own making. 

The pressure was completely self-inflicted.

- not only the recent ones but also the Heath regime of 1972 and after that - if there had been referendums held then, and before each major treaty signing, then we would either have never joined in the first place or been out long ago.  

Very debatable.

But in any event, there was - and is - a very good reason why membership of the EU should never be reduced to a simple 'In'/'Out' referendum: It is far too complex.

(Also imo there is little place for referendums. We live in a parliamentary democracy. We elect politicians to make decisions on our behalf. That is what they should do).

There is no requirement for a withdrawal agreement but after so long as a member, then a sensible one is obviously best, especially w.r.t. all EU and UK citizens rights and status.

Imo neither side came out of the negotiations with any credit when it comes to citizens' rights. At times, it seemed like a battle for the moral low ground.

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is worded so simply and briefly, that anyone reading it might assume that it would be easy to leave the EU but these words are rather meaningless to any member trying to extract itself from the rats maze that the EU has become after successive treaties, over decades.

Agreed.

The EU reaction after the referendum revealed its fear that the UK leaving might mean the disintegration of the EU itself. by prompting others to follow suit.

I'm not sure that there was ever a danger of the EU disintegrating, but I accept that it's probably fair to say that Brussels wasn't keen to encourage any further referendums on membership!

The post referendum vengeful behaviour of the EU commissioners has now been seen and noted around the continent and the world - they would have been far better off being more reasonable and, using their own words, acted in "good faith".  

Vengeful? How so?

Noted around the world? Where exactly? How has this manifested itself?

I don't accept your premise, but putting that aside, why would the " (European) commissioners have been far better off being more reasonable"? Arguably, they would have been worse off: It may have encouraged others to leave and it might have been seen as a sign of weakness and weakened Brussels' negotiating positions with other nations.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

You don't seem to able to stop yourself from misrepresenting the facts. This is yet another example.

You imply - by omission - that Brexit was not a contributory factor in this company's closure. Yet again, that is untrue. The following is taken from the link which you posted:

"The former Five Star Fish facility was taken on by Icelandic Seafood International in 2020 but has recorded a staggering £8 million in losses, with bosses blaming Brexit, the pandemic, and Russia's invasion of Ukraine."

Perhaps, you'd like to email the CEO and inform him that he's got it wrong? (Up to you whether you consider this sarcastic or a serious proposal).

To avoid any future ambiguity, I will make it explicitly clear when I am being sarcastic.

That was a fact.

Again, another of my comments taken of context and the meaning distorted. 

What I said was that 1200 Brits worked for the EU institutions prior to Brexit and those posts will not be filled by Brits when the incumbents leave/ retire.

Problem solved (see above).

Can't help you there.

Maybe take a bit more care before you post factually incorrect information or distort the meaning of others' comments.

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, there are people in this thread who claim that a fishing company closed down because of Brexit  solely because of Brexit and nothing to do with Covid or Ukraine . those are the people I was referring tol

Like this one you mean, with Brexit, Ukraine and pandemic blamed?

Nobody is doing as you claim.

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK government, or more precisely the Tory government, has no one but itself to blame for the situation.

It is the British people who wanted to leave the E.U and its the Governments job to follow the will of the people .

British people are responsible for leaving he E.U , you cannot take that accolade away from the British people  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I doubt that there were many statistically sound models predicting Bitcoin at $1 million.

I think that I'll put my trust in the models used by epidemiologists and the weather people to get it right more often than not, but if you want to smoke and disregard predictions of hazardous weather simply because they are forecasts, that's your look-out. A bit like Brexit, don't say that you weren't warned.

I also predict that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning but you will probably disagree with that forecast as well?

• Like 2