Working with Thai people.

bob smith

My experience here, is that Thai people around you will establish some kind of contact, with the ultimate goal of obtaining a financial gain from you.

When they fail at that, they will stop interacting with you, to the point of totally ignoring your presence.

You are in a country where the culture is mainly about selfishness.

And I saw that also between Thais themselves.

Remember, the culture here is about 3 concepts:

1.-Generate money.

2.-Taking care (I take care of you, you take care of me- or for a fee)

3.- Saving face (The source of 90 % of the lies here)

Someone not part of this in the life of a Thai, is next to useless.

Go and enjoy your life here. It is very much possible.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

My experience here, is that Thai people around you will establish some kind of contact, with the ultimate goal of obtaining a financial gain from you.

When they fail at that, they will stop interacting with you, to the point of totally ignoring your presence.

1.-Generate money.

Regards

Farang woman - i take 70% of house, i give little sex, bland food. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

1.-Generate money.

Regards

its pretty much been my experience as well mate. selfishness is rampant here

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But if we can afford it then why not?

its not your/my job to help them out, is it? why dont they ask their government for handouts if they are so needy? they have enough money in the coffers but just choose not to allocate it to the poor. that aint my problem, its up to the thais to fix their welfare system. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that really how you see Thai people? Then you must be a sad creature who only looks for the negative side. Or maybe you only hang out in places with the wrong people.

I.e. I am friendly with all Thai people in my office. And I earn more than they do. Nobody ever asked me for money or anything of value.

I am also friendly with security guards and other service people in my building. I remember one security guard, who worked there for a few months, asked me for money. He just lost his job because the company decided they don't want any employees over age x. I never had a problem with him, and I am sure he wouldn't have asked me if he didn't really need money. I helped him, I can afford it.

Otherwise, many guards and maids never asked me for money. But they are obviously happy if they receive tips from time to time. And why not? 100B is a significant amount of money for them and almost nothing for most of us. I/we don't have to give them any tips. But if we can afford it then why not?

So it appears that we are both friendly with Thai people. Thai people around me actually like me very much. They all know that I am the ONLY one who is generous here, that I give money to Thai people every day. Thais see me give my shoes to poor people walking barefoot in front if the apartment complex.

I was every day out and distributing 100 baht  to some 20 people, those in line to obtain free food from the government.

At the store close by, the cashiers know that I am the one buying cookies for staff and customers in the store. I am the only one who has a gasoline container to give out to people pushing their motorbikes because their tank is empty.

I have a budget for that, every day, will always see someone driving a motorbike old and damaged. I pay the gasoline for someone else at the pump, when I see that i was more lucky in life than they were.

I often wonder where are the Mercedes drivers, the BMW drivers, the Porsche drivers, when I am alone distributing help money to Thai people. Never saw any.

I am friendly with these people, as I accept their culture, however bad it might appear, because it is not their fault that they were born and raised in this culture.

But I am careful with them, as I have explained.

Now I will be careful not to try to judge you, based on little information that I know about you.

But I would suggest to accord me the same respect.

Regards

Edited by Andre0720
Typo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

Everything you said in the OP is correct (wife agrees)

its always nice to hear things like this. means it isnt just me and there really are serious cultural obstacles that hinder foreigners here on a daily basis. give your wife a high 5 from me! ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

its always nice to hear things like this. means it isnt just me and there really are serious cultural obstacles that hinder foreigners here on a daily basis. give your wife a high 5 from me! ???? 

Will do lol

They would behave the same way if you were Thai (aside from asking for 500 baht), so not just a foreigner thing

11 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I don't know about your office staff but Thailand is interesting and not that efficient at times.

you can say that again mate. im thinking of going in and staring at my screen for 8 hours tomorrow instead of actually doing any work. maybe then i will be accepted into the fold.

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I have to deal with Thais very often (in a professional capacity that is).

Tenants and an assortment of builders/repairmen.

You can't squeeze an ounce of truth from them, esp. the second group.

Bare-faced lies, false promises and then some.

Many a time I tried, in vain, to encourage them to tell me the truth.

Never seems to happen.

Lying is a way if life here.

Never gonna change.

Oh..and Thai women are terrible house-keepers.

Thais do not regard lying as such, more protecting themselves and the listener from an uncomfortable truth. It goes back to the days when the bearers of bad news were beheaded.

My GF is a very good housekeeper. I guess it is different when Thai women are in a rental property, it's not theirs so they don't care about it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

@bob smith

Everything you said in the OP is correct (wife agrees)

500 is far too much to give to a monk, they wanted a share of that money

I assume you are working around mostly women

Changing your place of work won't make much difference, it's the same everywhere

Wife reads English websites?

• Haha 2

No one probably cares about you one way or the other. Everyone's got their own problems and niggly issues with each other. Do your job. Go up to someone and ask about their weekend. Bet you they'll be friendly and one battle won.

Give each person the benefit of the doubt once. Ask for a small amount of money once. OK. Second time too soon. No. 

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I have to deal with Thais very often (in a professional capacity that is).

Tenants and an assortment of builders/repairmen.

You can't squeeze an ounce of truth from them, esp. the second group.

Bare-faced lies, false promises and then some.

Many a time I tried, in vain, to encourage them to tell me the truth.

Never seems to happen.

Lying is a way if life here.

Never gonna change.

Oh..and Thai women are terrible house-keepers.

That's a tad unfair, the residential Plumbers and Electricians here are second to none. :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

its pretty much been my experience as well mate. selfishness is rampant here

Western nations are built on community? Why you not there? Obviously you left cause it wasnt good. If it was good you go back. If you like pizza and dislike fish, you dont eat fish daily.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No one probably cares about you one way or the other. Everyone's got their own problems and niggly issues with each other. Do your job. Go up to someone and ask about their weekend. Bet you they'll be friendly and one battle won.

Give each person the benefit of the doubt once. Ask for a small amount of money once. OK. Second time too soon. No. 

Only direct family and friends care. 

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

1.-Generate money.

Regards

100 % truth. selfishness is the main driving factor behind most Thais behavior. Sadly the reason why there is no greater future waiting. Ever.