Assimilation with Thai Culture

Non Immigrant

Assimilation with Thai Culture  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The longer you stay in Thailand, the less you want to associate with Thais. 

+100% true. Unfortunately local culture seems (sorry to say that) inferior for some folks. Although I thought its just different. 

To assimilate? Probably not, but 1 thing I think was pretty stupid not to learn thai language. It was pretty dumb thing. Thailand is not English speaking country, not even Tinglish speaking ...

Mall Bang Kapi Friday, singers Yin Tiitikan, Ajareeya, Tattakan and Jintara concert, yesterday terminal 21 Rama 3 Mr Tree concert, Morlam tonight at Prapradeng. No foreigners present, never is. But it's not assimilation, you are always the foreigner.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

My experience has been most Thai's don't want Foreigners to assimilate into their communities or culture.  From my perspective most Thai's want some distance from Foreigners.  No problem if I go into a store, restaurants or any other business in Thailand.  When I first arrived to live here I got some odd stares when I got into line at a mostly locals food stand. I got the feeling of "you don't belong here" I could have been wrong?  I am respectful to the people and culture of Thailand but I know where i should or should not go.  Of course this is strictly based upon my experience of being here for the last 7 years. Others will have different thoughts.  

I agree 

Not that I have ever felt like I was unwelcome, but I am sure the locals would not particularly like it if I bought a plot of land in their village, or started doing their jobs, or becamee mayor, for example.

They do want us to remain foreigners forever, I think.

But we are useful for spending money and teaching English, and otherwise tolerated.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1