TM86?

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, assumed you entered on tourist visa. If so then use TM86.

If you entered visa exempt then use TM87.

You enter on a tourist visa. A visa you loose the second you step outside the passport controll. So how is it possible to use TM86 when you don't have a visa?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A TM86 form is used to change a tourist visa entry to a=non immigrant via.

A TM87 form is used to apply for a non immigrant visa if you have a visa exempt entry.

List of the categories of non immigrant that can be changed to applied for and by clicking on the description the requirements for each category will open as a PDF file. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

The forms TM86 and TM87 are not the issue here. The issue is how to change a visa you do not have. 

4 minutes ago, Norlund said:

You enter on a tourist visa. A visa you loose the second you step outside the passport controll. So how is it possible to use TM86 when you don't have a visa?

You can obtain a non O from visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry.

Both give a permission of stay.

Within that period you can obtain a non O that gives a 90 day stamp.

Obviously there are requirements for the non O application 

6 minutes ago, Norlund said:

The forms TM86 and TM87 are not the issue here. The issue is how to change a visa you do not have. 

It has been pointed out the tourist visa is irrelevant. Apart from which form to use. 

Tourist visa or visa exempt gives you a permit stamp.

With 15 days + remaining on that permit you can apply for a non O.

Which part don't you understand 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It changes your entry visa or visa exempt entry just as a TM87 provides a visa entry.  You then get the permitted to stay time such a visa entry allows and can extend your permitted to stay with a TM7.

What happens when you want an "Extension Of Stay"? Because that is based on the visa you arrived with. And that was a tourist visa. It doesn't make any sense. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a non O from visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry.

Both give a permission of stay.

Within that period you can obtain a non O that gives a 90 day stamp.

Obviously there are requirements for the non O application 

Then again. You do not have a visa when you fill out the form TM86. So I do't understand how you can change someting you don't have. 

1 minute ago, Norlund said:

What happens when you want an "Extension Of Stay"? Because that is based on the visa you arrived with. And that was a tourist visa. It doesn't make any sense. 

Come on.

The tourist visa or visa exempt has given a permission of stay.

Within that period you can apply for eg non O based on marriage or retirement.

End of. 

Not difficult

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Norlund said:

Then again. You do not have a visa when you fill out the form TM86

And you never even had a visa if you entered visa exempt and filled in TM87 to apply for non O.

It's not difficult.

If you have serious questions to assist with process from visa exempt or tourist visa to obtaining a non O then ask away. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It has been pointed out the tourist visa is irrelevant. Apart from which form to use. 

Tourist visa or visa exempt gives you a permit stamp.

With 15 days + remaining on that permit you can apply for a non O.

Which part don't you understand 

There is a form TM86 you fill out when you want to change a tourist visa to a Non Immigrant Visa. The problem is that "every one" tells me that I loose my tourist visa when I leave the passport controll when I arrive to Thailand. Which means I DO NOT HAVE a tourist visa I can change at the Immigration Office 2 month later. And that doesn't make any sense. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Come on.

The tourist visa or visa exempt has given a permission of stay.

Within that period you can apply for eg non O based on marriage or retirement.

End of. 

Not difficult

I don't need a permission of stay I need a tourist visa. Please read TM86 and you will se. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And you never even had a visa if you entered visa exempt and filled in TM87 to apply for non O.

It's not difficult.

If you have serious questions to assist with process from visa exempt or tourist visa to obtaining a non O then ask away. 

I know I can apply for a Non Immigrant Visa when I have a Visa Exemption but that's not the point. What I can't understand is why I need a tourist visa when I fill in form TM86 when I loose the tourist visa at the passport controll. It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Norlund
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Norlund said:

You are extending your new non immigrant visa entry.  Your tourist visa entry is gone.  So now, if meeting other requirements, you can extend one year at a time using TM.7

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Norlund said:

The only logical explanation is that you don't loose your visa at the passport controll. 

no, your don't "lose" your Tourist Visa. you're given a 60 day permission to stay and as a result the visa sticker in your passport is stamped "USED". The 60 days will be indicated by a stamp in your passport which can be on a different page to the visa sticker.

you can extend that 60 day permission to stay once, for a further 30 days. 

I'm assuming you used the new e-visa system and had a printout of it with you. The officer taking that printout from you is, I suppose, the equivalent of the old USED stamp as described above. Plus he'll make a corresponding note in the immigration database.

Look in your passport for the 60 day stamp. That will show you the exact date up to you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom.

Edited by Lemsta69

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are extending your new non immigrant visa entry.  Your tourist visa entry is gone.  So now, if meeting other requirements, you can extend one year at a time using TM.7

Extending the Non Immigrant Visa? You mean "Extension Of Stay"?

33 minutes ago, Norlund said:

Then again. You do not have a visa when you fill out the form TM86. So I do't understand how you can change someting you don't have. 

it's just shorthand and makes it easier for the average Joe to understand. also easier than saying something like "FORM TO APPLY FOR NON-IMMIGRANT O VISA AFTER ENTERING ON A TOURIST VISA". Or something equally unwieldy.

all caps used to mimic the TM86 form. 

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

no, your don't "lose" your Tourist Visa. you're given a 60 day permission to stay and as a result the visa sticker in your passport is stamped "USED". The 60 days will be indicated by a stamp in your passport which can be on a different page to the visa sticker.

you can extend that 60 day permission to stay once, for a further 30 days. 

I'm assuming you used the new e-visa system and had a printout of it with you. The officer taking that printout from you is, I suppose, the equivalent of the old USED stamp as described above. Plus he'll make a corresponding note in the immigration database.

Look in your passport for the 60 day stamp. That will show you the exact date up to you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom.

I have been told over and over on FB and on fora online that you loose your visa the moment you pass the officer at the passport control. Are they all wrong?

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

it's just shorthand and makes it easier for the average Joe to understand. also easier than saying something like "FORM TO APPLY FOR NON-IMMIGRANT O VISA AFTER ENTERING ON A TOURIST VISA". Or something equally unwieldy.

all caps used to mimic the TM86 form. 

It says "Change Of Visa". And that means you MUST have a visa. Whatever that visa is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Norlund said:

I have been told over and over on FB and on fora online that you loose your visa the moment you pass the officer at the passport control. Are they all wrong?

I think maybe they're not explaining it very well. you don't "lose" it, it's effectively exchanged for a 60 day permission to stay. then marked USED so that the next immigration officer doesnt have to go hunting through your passport for the entry stamp. is this your first Tourist Visa entry?

Edited by Lemsta69

2 minutes ago, Norlund said:

Extending the Non Immigrant Visa? You mean "Extension Of Stay"?

I really do not believe you want to know at this point.  I clearly said extending non immigrant visa entry (not visa or extension of stay).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I think maybe they're not explaining it very well. you don't "lose" it, it's effectively exchanged for a 60 day permission to stay. then marked USED so that the next immigration officer doesnt have to go hunting through your passport for the entry stamp. is this your first Tourist Visa entry?

IFF they exchange the tourist visa to a "permission to stay" you DO NOT have a visa. And consequently you can not use form TM86 and change someting you do not have.  

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

like I said, it's a convenient way of describing the situation.

No it is not. Form TM86 is a form you fill out when you want to change a tourist visa to a Non Immigrant Visa. Or do you another idea for what this form is for?

IFF they exchange the tourist visa to a "permission to stay" you DO NOT have a visa. And consequently you can not use form TM86 and change someting you do not have.  

except that you can because that's how it works. thousands before you have successfully completed the process. just fill in the form, pay the fee and get your account new 90 day Non-O visa.  

2 minutes ago, Norlund said:

No it is not. Form TM86 is a form you fill out when you want to change a tourist visa to a Non Immigrant Visa. Or do you another idea for what this form is for?

I think you're just being silly now. on ignore, peace out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Strange that every day people obtain a non O from a tourist visa entry. 

Clearly you are playing games.

If you really want guidelines of how to obtain a non O from tourist visa entry ....then ask.

• Thanks 1