Franklin submersible non-stop run time limits?

unheard

My deep well runs a 1 HP Franklin submersible bore pump.

My relatives keep telling me that I shouldn't be operating the pump continuously for more than 1 hour to prevent it from burning up due to overheating.

Supposedly their advice is based on multiple experiences in the local community.

I've checked the Franklin pump generic manuals and couldn't find any mention of time limits for the non-stop operation.

I'd like to get some confirmation from the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Thank you.

Does it say Continuous Duty in the generic manual like, say, here https://www.franklinwater.com/products/submersible-motors-and-control-boxes/4-inch-submersible-motors/4-inch-induction-motor/4-inch-2-wire-single-phase-models--sku-collection/2445581203gs/

How much load you put on it is a factor but it should run at rated capacity, say, 7gpm at 450ft head. Depending on model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the pump or controller have "run-dry" protection?

Maybe the collective experience is that the bores can't support continuous operation and the pumps get exposed (so no cooling water) and get fried. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Does it say Continuous Duty in the generic manual like..

How much load you put on it is a factor but it should run at rated capacity, say, 7gpm at 450ft head. Depending on model. 

I'm not sure about the exact model of the pump and motor but I do know its horsepower rating.

According to your link my HP rated motor does say "Continues duty".

Edited by unheard

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does the pump or controller have "run-dry" protection?

Maybe the collective experience is that the bores can't support continuous operation and the pumps get exposed (so no cooling water) and get fried. 

Haven't seen anywhere any mention of "run-dry".

And yes, I suspect that their collective experience is based on the local wells that don't produce enough of water to match the pump's performance.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 2

Maybe the Franklin controller doesn't have a 'run dry' facility.

You can buy these controllers in Thailand and from China.

I suppose it can also depend on what aquifer you are on and how deep is your pump in the well and diameter of the well.

The way everyone is putting down solar powered bores everywhere and leaving them on 24/7 probably, you'de have to be careful running the pump continuously incase there is not enough water to keep recharging the well.

• Thanks 1

Sorry a bit late, but we have a Franklin submers in our old house and we regular had it run for over 6-8 hrs at a time and no issues

My guess the relatives are afraid the well runs dry and that indeed will (could) fry your Submers.

But if you like we went a bit deeper when drilling the well then when they found water you should be oke. (Ps: YMMV)

When I go to the OLD house I will post a picture of the controller (but could be a while)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:51 PM, KhunLA said:

Why would you need to run over 1 hr straight anyway, as ours filled up 4500L tank pretty fast.

Adding to MJCM's comments above...

There could be many needs.

In my case I need to periodically refill a HUGE above ground concrete rain water storage tank during the dry season.

• Like 2