New marijuana regulations could spell the end of vans selling weed, smoking cafes and online flowers

webfact

Asssuming the van has a license then they can still sell flower. Whether they can get the "appropriate" license might be an issue? Not sure what new criteria might be required.

On premises smoking, without some sort of additional rules/licenses seems like a no-no. Seen many shops previously offering this service eliminating it.

On-line sales prohibition will severely impact small Thai growers, waiting to see how this is enforced. Some say that as long as they do not advertise a product with a price it is OK. But this one needs to be clarified, and if the Police are instructed to enforce this, and what the first arrest looks like.

Most of these controls were in the Cannabis Bill. Online sales was allowed, but with biometric age verfification.

There has been quite a bit of public information and debate on this new edict, with quite a few lengthy discussions, and a few Live Facebook gatherings. The Police are busy with APEC, and people are still digesting this, so I wouldn't expect a sea-change this week.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, n00dle said:

that said, i live on soi 11, and there are so many vans that you can no longer use the sidewalks near the Ambassador complex. I counted 12 vans the other night. 

Imagine the Thessakit are collecting rent from these vans, but yes, this is a public safety issue and the sidewalks on Soi 11 should be cleared of everything, food vendors and the seating for their customers, motorbike parking, pop-up alcohol sales and seating, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm still trying to understand why they decided that Thailand need a marihuana pots and plants in every home before they even had the rules and regulation for using/selling the stuff in place, this is the case of doing before thinking, and whom did it really benefited to legalise pot other than some business and pot's heads...

• Like 1

I don't have sympathy for the ex-drug dealers and other organised crime figures who have made probably millions/billions of Baht of tax free income over decades,  who had a head-start over others, to quickly set up shops all over Thailand upon legalisation - and continue to make bumper profits off the back of already established weed crops. 

I do however sympathise on those who entered the market post-legalisation and have invested significant money into this new emerging cannabis market.  

I think it unfair for government to pullback on hazy legislation that will disadvantage a lot of decent investors.  But, there is probably a level of responsibility on those who jumped into the cannabis business, knowing that the laws were vague and the real possibility of legal clarifications to tweak the usage laws. Like a lot of things done in Thailand, business owners push the envelope when it comes to laws (such as breaching closing hours in alcohol/entertainment outlets).

The government definitely could have done a much better job with a working committee to draft numerous laws and clarifications of laws, best practice and procedures, etc. beforehand.  Not only Thailand, but other countries as well rush legislation, leading to all sorts of issues.  

One only needed to attend one of the Cannabis expos that popped up around the country to see how much has already been invested into businesses, new products, etc.  

I personally am not a big user of cannabis, but have dabbled.  I like cannabis use for anxiety relief and there are definite medical benefits for other medical conditions well documented.  I don't like the hallucinogenic effects of higher THC, but if a user wants to experience that then that's their choice and the THC content is revealed. 

I think the 'cat is out of the bag' now and the only thing I think is a good thing is to ensure cannabis smokers follow the same rules as tobacco smokers (don't annoy others in public who don't want to inhale it - I hate cigarette smoke). 

Also, the term for 'medical use', for example, does a user technically need to present to a cannabis café, a doctor's certificate to prove one's need for cannabis? Or is the law vague on how much one needs to prove they need it for medical use? I have not read over the legislation as it stands.  But would be interesting in how that section is worded.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

It was ill conceived idea from the start but the genie got out of the bottle. The original proposal was for medical cannabis with a THC content below 0.3 - hemp in other words. But of course no control and vague at best and now its a marijuana market free for all. Bars are selling the stuff, stalls in Central and shops everywhere. Madness.

That was only extracts and the THC limit was and is 0.2%.