Govt: Thailand to Become International Hub of Electric Vehicles

webfact

9 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Looked up the price of a Chinese made Ora Good Cat EV the other day.  It sells for just under $16,000 US in China but with import duty it is 1,286,000 Bt ($35,752.01 US) in Thailand.

Way to promote EVs Thailand!

image.png.1a9d057cb9c7da6ccfd483e73cf08475.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BostonJoe said:

Opening hours for bars, malls, and many other venues could be shrunk to save electricity, according to the Thai Energy Ministry

Something tells me electric cars just don't  fit into this equation 

It's ok, just run petrol or diesel powered generators at home to make up for any short fall, problem solved. 

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Where does the lithium come from for your phone or laptop batteries, that you are on now.   Along with all the materials, toxic chemicals used to produce microchips & processors.  Where do think they come from and who's mining them.   Not to mention the huge amount of energy and wasted water to manufacture them.   Adding to all the water pollution while doing so.

May want to look up the word hypocrite on your eco unfriendly device.  Just a thought.

Your ignorance is showing:

"a battery with only a 5 to 10 year life" 

... and yet, they, most EVs here, give an 8 yr warranty.  I expect mine (EV/solar ESS) to last 10-20-30 years.  

You take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Yes I know and should be banned as well. However there is a big difference in a phone battery and a battery that powers a Blood EV. These monstrosities which are not echo are causing the demands which are driving the abuse and murder. Batteries depreciate from day one and 7~8 years life is what main manufactures give (not the sales pitch). With don't do giving vastly reduced range to that of stated range. Don't charge more than 80% don't go below 20% charge and store at 50% charge. Try selling a 6 year old ev. The big second hand dealers in the uk won't touch the second had blood car market. 30 years, I hope you have a nice big diesel to tow it around.  1 x ev battery equals nearly 2,000 phone batteries.

20 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Why would you want to throw away a perfectly usable battery after a few years?

First they are not useable after a few years as they depreciate at a rate which makes them unusable.  Only charge at 80% don't go below 20% and store at 50% so your usable milage is not say 300 but nearer 180 miles and that range reduces by several percent year on year. Major second hand dealers do not touch them. 

5 hours ago, BritScot said:

First they are not useable after a few years as they depreciate at a rate which makes them unusable.  Only charge at 80% don't go below 20% and store at 50% so your usable milage is not say 300 but nearer 180 miles and that range reduces by several percent year on year. Major second hand dealers do not touch them. 

Seems like you’re not up to date with battery tech. With lithium ion batteries, of course you can charge up to 100%. It’s just not recommended to keep it at that state of charge for too long. It’s not a problem to charge it to 100% and then drive the vehicle. For lithium iron phosphate, the battery will happily hold a 100% charge for a longer time.

Modern batteries are expected to have no less than a 80% state of health after 10 years. Still very usable.

Many people don’t fill up their tank at the petrol station. They might just put in 500 baht or 1000 baht. No different than charging your car to 70% or 90%. If you’re going on a long journey, then no issue with charging to 100%.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Their goal will be the first Asia country to have their subs all electric….

Try to keep up, China / Asian, already has all electric subs.

As does Russia, also USA, along with India, another Asian country.

On 11/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Stargeezr said:

700 kms.  in an EV with the AC blasting, I seriously doubt that.

With the current battery in EVs, it will take another pile of years to get that kind of distance

on a hot day in Thailand or any tropical country. Oh did you know the battery in an EV is also very expensive to

replace?

700 km may be pushing it a little - BMW's official figures say 623 km WLTP range. Although on the NEDC scale, that would probably be close to 700 km.

BMW i7 highlights

It's true that if you had to replace an entire EV battery all at once, that would indeed be an expensive proposition. However that's a situation unlikely to face many EV owners.

Current estimates of EV battery life are about 20 years, which is way more than the average ownership of most motor vehicles. Even after that, only some cells would normally need replacing, not the whole battery.

And as the technology improves, battery life will only get better. Tesla is currently developing an EV battery that will last for a million miles, which they say they are close to achieving.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Seems like you’re not up to date with battery tech. With lithium ion batteries, of course you can charge up to 100%. It’s just not recommended to keep it at that state of charge for too long. It’s not a problem to charge it to 100% and then drive the vehicle. For lithium iron phosphate, the battery will happily hold a 100% charge for a longer time.

Modern batteries are expected to have no less than a 80% state of health after 10 years. Still very usable.

Many people don’t fill up their tank at the petrol station. They might just put in 500 baht or 1000 baht. No different than charging your car to 70% or 90%. If you’re going on a long journey, then no issue with charging to 100%.

I not sure if I'm upto date on the latest technologies. However, I'm going by recent publications and interviews given by top secondhand dealer networks in the uk. Quite recently manufacturers have started coming out with more accurate information but the dealers are still lying to customers. People in the uk have and are falling for the same trap as diesel car owners. The government said that diesel cars were better for the environment then flipped increasing tax on diesel vehicles. The same will and is starting to happen with EV's. Unless you have a roof full of solar panels, turbines etc then the financial benifit is disappearing fast infact its almost gone in the uk. My point was they are not good for the environment and definatly not better than a modern mechanical vehicle and will never ever last as long. People have the right to buy what they want and every decision for me at least is pro's and con's and one of those is my principles which also is stopping me from watching any of the World Cup games.

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

I not sure if I'm upto date on the latest technologies. However, I'm going by recent publications and interviews given by top secondhand dealer networks in the uk. Quite recently manufacturers have started coming out with more accurate information but the dealers are still lying to customers. People in the uk have and are falling for the same trap as diesel car owners. The government said that diesel cars were better for the environment then flipped increasing tax on diesel vehicles. The same will and is starting to happen with EV's. Unless you have a roof full of solar panels, turbines etc then the financial benifit is disappearing fast infact its almost gone in the uk. My point was they are not good for the environment and definatly not better than a modern mechanical vehicle and will never ever last as long. People have the right to buy what they want and every decision for me at least is pro's and con's and one of those is my principles which also is stopping me from watching any of the World Cup games.

What I gathered from watching some YT EV channels is that the price of secondhand EVs were so high (until recently) that they were selling for almost the same price as the new vehicle (due to high demand and lack of supply). I’m sure 2nd hand car dealers would love to get their hands on 2nd hand EVs but not many EVs owners are selling.

You said the same will and is starting to happen with EVs. You mean increasing tax? I haven’t come across that. Moreover, EVs are exempt from paying congestion charges and do not pollute the car with diesel and petrol fumes. 

An EV has less moving parts than a modern mechanical vehicle so I don’t see why it wouldn’t last as long, if not longer. The batteries are made to outlast the expected life of the car and the motor is just an electric motor. Easily replaced if necessary.

Are you boycotting the World Cup because it’s held in Qatar? Is so, I presume you boycott petrol and diesel as well as these generally come from Qatar, Saudi and Russia. Just joking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

What I gathered from watching some YT EV channels is that the price of secondhand EVs were so high (until recently) that they were selling for almost the same price as the new vehicle (due to high demand and lack of supply). I’m sure 2nd hand car dealers would love to get their hands on 2nd hand EVs but not many EVs owners are selling.

You said the same will and is starting to happen with EVs. You mean increasing tax? I haven’t come across that. Moreover, EVs are exempt from paying congestion charges and do not pollute the car with diesel and petrol fumes. 

An EV has less moving parts than a modern mechanical vehicle so I don’t see why it wouldn’t last as long, if not longer. The batteries are made to outlast the expected life of the car and the motor is just an electric motor. Easily replaced if necessary.

Are you boycotting the World Cup because it’s held in Qatar? Is so, I presume you boycott petrol and diesel as well as these generally come from Qatar, Saudi and Russia. Just joking.

I think you have that wrong about ev second hand maret so did a bit of digging "Nissan Leaf" new £34,000ish a 5 year old with max range 124 miles which is far less in reality 80~100 (maybe even less) depending on weather/temperature price mint condition (under 30,000 miles) £10,000 ~£11,000.  Tesla seem to hold their price better.

20 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Their goal will be the first Asia country to have their subs all electric….

Now we understand why there are no engines ordered for their next bunch of Chinese subs apparently on order, they are well ahead of the game and could foresee that electric was the way forward... ????

38 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I think you have that wrong about ev second hand maret so did a bit of digging "Nissan Leaf" new £34,000ish a 5 year old with max range 124 miles which is far less in reality 80~100 (maybe even less) depending on weather/temperature price mint condition (under 30,000 miles) £10,000 ~£11,000.  Tesla seem to hold their price better.

It’s unfortunate that you used the Nissan Leaf as an example. This is generally regarded as one of the worst EVs you can buy (no thermal cooling for the batteries etc). 

Look instead at this video of an Ioniq 5 where he actually made a profit (bought for £49,000, sold for £53,000 after a few months and having driven to Italy and back and even scratching one of his alloy wheels).

In terms of range, it depends on how you drive the car. Same for ICEs. The harder you accelerate and brake, the lower the range. The weight of the car also determines range. Inefficient vehicles don’t sell well. The Haval plug in hybrid sells here for just under £40,000 and has a real world range of 100 miles or more. Combined with the ICE, the overall range is around 560 miles.

Weather/temperature plays a very small part here in Thailand.

Edited by Gweiloman

On 11/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, CygnusX1 said:

Reminds me of a scene in the TV series “Succession”, in which the mega rich were doing their bit to save the planet by being driven to their private jets in a fleet of Teslas.

Reminds me of the Brit arrogant wife of big time all Asia expat boss sent from UK international giant.

They lived in a giant 6 bed 6 bath house in Aree area. Air-con in every room in the house including bathrooms madam insisted EVERY every air-con on 24/7.

Also a big swim pool filter etc., operating 24/7. And she had a giant air-con unit fitted in the lock up 4 car garage, she wanted whatever car she had to travel in (had a driver) to be cool at a moments notice.

Her staff joked where the next air-con would be fitted. Because of comment from madam they were waiting for either the tennis court or the pool to be fully enclosed and air-con fitted.  

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Reminds me of the Brit arrogant wife of big time all Asia expat boss sent from UK international giant.

They lived in a giant 6 bed 6 bath house in Aree area. Air-con in every room in the house including bathrooms madam insisted EVERY every air-con on 24/7.

Also a big swim pool filter etc., operating 24/7. And she had a giant air-con unit fitted in the lock up 4 car garage, she wanted whatever car she had to travel in (had a driver) to be cool at a moments notice.

Her staff joked where the next air-con would be fitted. Because of comment from madam they were waiting for either the tennis court or the pool to be fully enclosed and air-con fitted.  

Good for her.

Talk is so cheap here. Such nonsense. This is the same administration that made it so difficult for Toyota to manufacture the Prius here. 

Becoming a hub requires sacrifice. Prayuth thinks it simply happens by saying it, or wishing it. Offer major tax incentives, property ownership, etc. Make it easy and they might come. Maybe.