Govt: Thailand to Become International Hub of Electric Vehicles

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen Prayut presided over a ceremony to open the EleX by EGAT charging station

EGAT in Lampang is coal fired.

By the time you add in all of the lithum, colbalt, nickel, other necessary mined metals, the plastic and the fact that the EV use an infrastructure run on coal and natural gas?  There is nothing "green" about them.  And then there is complete silence about what to do with those huge mega-batteries need to run an EV once they die.  Let's not even mention the child labor used to extract needed metals and battery components.  

And let's not mention - Electric vehicles are completely out of the price range of average Thais. 

By the time 2050 rolls around, the world will look like 1950 Thailand:  A few wealthy people have EVs, well-to-do will have bicycles, and everyone else will walk as EV songthaws will be totally unaffordable. If you're lucky you'll live close to a rail line.  Cashless and 'zero-carbon' will usher in Neo-Feudalism. 
The Gore's and Gate's and Bezo's will still have their fleets of private av-fuel-burning jets and diesel-burning mega-yachts as well as beach-front properties as the sea level isn't rising, but the fear of a global deluge did get the useful idiots to demand their own enslavement.
The rest of us.  We'll enjoy the WEF wet-dream of owning nothing and living in communes without any privacy.  As far as being happy?  Ask the East Germans and Eastern Europeans and Chinese peasants how life was back in the totalitarian days of Marxist-Communist Utopia. 
I don't think I'll have to worry about it.  I don't expect that too many of the commoners will live much beyond their "productive" years no less living to 100.  And none of us commoners will own an EV.  And even if you did?  Will you be allowed to charge it comrade?  How's your social credit score?

• Like 2

Another Thai & EV bashing thread ... great

The Anti Thai, Anti EV sentiment along with total ignorance displayed in the thread is, well  ... expected.

Couple thoughts to enlighten;

... MG ZS battery size 50.3kW

... Thailand already has over 1000 CSs

... Along with Merc ... MG, GWM & Horizon all plan on building their EV in Thailand, in the very near future.  The ones people are and will actually be buying, as very affordable, and priced the same as many ICEs.

... PTT's wholly owned subsidiary will be building the Horizons & batteries here, and, as sales promo, FREE CHARGING @ PTT stations.  Which if you didn't know, is the 'state owned' oil producer.   Wind of Change kids. You may want to pay attention.

image.png.3a32cfe47664f4c9d1592ac580ebc294.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

700 kms.  in an EV with the AC blasting, I seriously doubt that.

With the current battery in EVs, it will take another pile of years to get that kind of distance

on a hot day in Thailand or any tropical country. Oh did you know the battery in an EV is also very expensive to

replace?

And I can imagine the ground pollution that will be produced when all those old batteries start to get recycled..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Yes it will be booming all very expensive luxury electric cars who only the rich can pay.. The common people who are in 97% of the country can still pollute. It will be a big difference for the hub

IMHO it is not so much that the poorer people can still pollute the country.

But until EGAT and the PEA upgrade the whole network of cabling across the country, installing new transformers and upgraded access, plus free new meters for those who actually want EVs an to charge them at home, they are wasting their time.

I can't see many rural people lobbing out 8mn baht for a BMW, especially if they have to travel somewhere else just to charge it up.

Also I have yet to see or hear of EV replacements for ANY farming vehicles, tractors, etans, iron buffalos, rice or sugar cane harvesters.

https://mobilityforesights.com/product/thailand-electric-tractor-market/

As for motorcycles....

At least 2 major manufacturers are headed in the right direction.

https://www-thaihonda-co-th.translate.goog/honda/news/product/20220913/honda-electric-motorcycle?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/blog/detail?url=ส่อง_9_ฟังก์ชันเด่น_Yamaha_Y-Connect&cate=reviews

I remember years ago there was a big thing about Blood Dimonds I now call EV's Blood Cars! I personally feel people who own EV's are either thick or just evil but hay ho they can give it "look at me I'm saving the world" when infact its the opposit. Just one question "how many children died digging for those minerals in your battery? Yes a battery with only a 5 to 10 year life but of course just throw it away and buy a new one.... I'll keep runing my 12 year old Honda and my now 5 year old Rav 4 (yes diesel)....

11 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I remember years ago there was a big thing about Blood Dimonds I now call EV's Blood Cars! I personally feel people who own EV's are either thick or just evil but hay ho they can give it "look at me I'm saving the world" when infact its the opposit. Just one question "how many children died digging for those minerals in your battery? Yes a battery with only a 5 to 10 year life but of course just throw it away and buy a new one.... I'll keep runing my 12 year old Honda and my now 5 year old Rav 4 (yes diesel)....

What happens if I have dozens of what you call blood diamonds? Are you telling me I can't use them to buy an EV....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What happens if I have dozens of what you call blood diamonds? Are you telling me I can't use them to buy an EV....

Blood diamonds is a term I did not make up. Diamonds that are not conflict-free are known as blood diamonds, which means they are illegally sold. So No you can't use Blood diamonds to buy a Blood EV. I suppose if your OK having Blood diamonds you'll be OK having a blood ev.

I trust that the misalgned slogan on the door of the car in the OP is not an indicator of quality.

Once Somchai and his mate have done their early hours tour of charging stations and removed the cables for safe keeping our leader wont be so smug.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Typo

28 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Where does the lithium come from for your phone or laptop batteries, that you are on now.   Along with all the materials, toxic chemicals used to produce microchips & processors.  Where do think they come from and who's mining them.   Not to mention the huge amount of energy and wasted water to manufacture them.   Adding to all the water pollution while doing so.

May want to look up the word hypocrite on your eco unfriendly device.  Just a thought.

Your ignorance is showing:

"a battery with only a 5 to 10 year life" 

... and yet, they, most EVs here, give an 8 yr warranty.  I expect mine (EV/solar ESS) to last 10-20-30 years.  

You take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Has anyone considered the massive capacity increase in the electric grid that would need to be invested for to enable electric car charging on a large scale? Last time I looked, Thailand burns fossil fuel to produce electricity.  Is there something special about those fossil fuels that does not pollute?

5 hours ago, connda said:

EGAT in Lampang is coal fired.

By the time you add in all of the lithum, colbalt, nickel, other necessary mined metals, the plastic and the fact that the EV use an infrastructure run on coal and natural gas?  There is nothing "green" about them.  And then there is complete silence about what to do with those huge mega-batteries need to run an EV once they die.  Let's not even mention the child labor used to extract needed metals and battery components.  

And let's not mention - Electric vehicles are completely out of the price range of average Thais. 

By the time 2050 rolls around, the world will look like 1950 Thailand:  A few wealthy people have EVs, well-to-do will have bicycles, and everyone else will walk as EV songthaws will be totally unaffordable. If you're lucky you'll live close to a rail line.  Cashless and 'zero-carbon' will usher in Neo-Feudalism. 
The Gore's and Gate's and Bezo's will still have their fleets of private av-fuel-burning jets and diesel-burning mega-yachts as well as beach-front properties as the sea level isn't rising, but the fear of a global deluge did get the useful idiots to demand their own enslavement.
The rest of us.  We'll enjoy the WEF wet-dream of owning nothing and living in communes without any privacy.  As far as being happy?  Ask the East Germans and Eastern Europeans and Chinese peasants how life was back in the totalitarian days of Marxist-Communist Utopia. 
I don't think I'll have to worry about it.  I don't expect that too many of the commoners will live much beyond their "productive" years no less living to 100.  And none of us commoners will own an EV.  And even if you did?  Will you be allowed to charge it comrade?  How's your social credit score?

Not to mention EV don't like submersion in water.

The battery tray is usually along the bottom. 

2 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Has anyone considered the massive capacity increase in the electric grid that would need to be invested for to enable electric car charging on a large scale? Last time I looked, Thailand burns fossil fuel to produce electricity.  Is there something special about those fossil fuels that does not pollute?

Pollution is a given. Better to have pollution in remote areas than in major cities. All the better if EVs are charged by solar at home.

3 hours ago, BritScot said:

Why would you want to throw away a perfectly usable battery after a few years?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

On the same occasion, put on display were BMW i7 electric sedans that are the limousines of APEC participants and Mercedes-Benz EQS cars which are the first EV make locally produced. It was priced at about 8 million baht with a capacity of 700-kilometer-long travel per charge.

What a laugh that is . How many Common people are going to buy a 8 Mill EV. they can't even buy a car that's why they ride a Motor cycle. 

Note the high end BMWs can only state "assembled in Thailand' because the high quality of parts including the steel mean that they cannot be considered to be manufactured here.

It's also one of the reasons bottom of the range Beemers are still so expensive here (and possibly the reason they are unreliable too) is because they do not qualify for the same tax breaks as Toyota, Mitsubishi and other vehicles that are manufactured here from locally sourced components.