Hotel maids nabbed for allegedly sneaking into tourist’s room to steal valuables

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Ive never had stuff stolen. Never been bashed. Never been murdered.

Been abused once by a Thai. Get abused daily in Oz on the roads by bad drivers in the wrong.

I've never been murdered either but if I am I will let you know 

"Aranya was arrested for committing a joint burglary and failing to report herself to the court,"

It only took 5 years to bring her to justice? She was arrested also for failing to report herself to the court. Isn't that what police are for? Do you expect every criminal to say to themselves after they commit a crime... "that was wrong of me. I should turn myself in". 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of this, IMHO, totally useless news stories which could end with: Similar events happen every day probably thousands of times all over the world.

And then the speculation about the nationality of the victim.

And the question of the nationality of the accused.

And why did anybody steel lots of money and valuables?

And why did anybody leave money and valuables accessible to others?

And why did they bring money and valuables to Thailand at all?

We still need the question why they came to Pattaya at all, they obviously must be sex tourist and deserve to be victims.

And all that from a little boring everyday article. Interesting... 

What's up, didn't  get any last night.

what a rant. 

I still don't understand why they post a photo with blurred face, better only post the content and not show the blurred photo, how can anybody be aware of these type of persons if we don't see their face

Yes it is wrong to steal but say the average wage for a maid was 8000 baht then, so 100,000 baht a year, it was a year's salary.

If the annual salary in your country is say £30,000 then consider how many normally good people would be tempted if they saw £30,000 lying around in a hotel room ?

Doesn't make it right but ....

2 minutes ago, SGD said:

Yes it is wrong to steal but say the average wage for a maid was 8000 baht then, so 100,000 baht a year, it was a year's salary.

If the annual salary in your country is say £30,000 then consider how many normally good people would be tempted if they saw £30,000 lying around in a hotel room ?

Doesn't make it right but ....

Tea leafing, not acceptable. 

8 hours ago, Non Immigrant said:

What are you on about??

If they are from upcountry, they have homes, lands, and vehicles. 

Such utter tripe! Do we understand you to be saying that ALL Thais who are from "upcountry"

have homes, lands and vehicles? It is such a sweeping generalisation as to be laughable, and does you no credit!

I guess the takeaway is that the police do have a tracking system that works.   I didn't read how they caught her 5 years later? 

I've watched YouTube s that show these hotel safes are worthless as safe places for stuff.  

And I recall my recent thread where a guy was saying bringing 4k USD cash is chump change.  A passport maybe valuable but it is replaceable for minimal money.  I always feel venerable when I go to the beach or swimming pool where I can't wear my money belt.  Today losing a smart phone would cause lots of inconvenience when on a vacation in Thailand.  I better take care with my S21 ultra.  

I've read of a trick of bringing a screwdriver to not only clean hotel room Aircon filters but possibly finding a good stash place.  Also a seam ripper and some thread as the curtain hems can be overlooked. 

I think theft happens in all places. 

Having this story in the news is a good reminder for staff to stay honest.  But drugs and or loan sharks or starving family would be highly motivating. 

Edited by Elkski

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

From what I've seen the petty crime in Thailand is at pretty low level. There are way more lowlifes in Australia.

Of course that could be said of many countries but this is the Pattaya News section of a Thailand Forum. The News is, she has been caught 5 years later. 

I really do not see the point of discussing elsewhere, deflection..... there is also no mention if the tourist simply left the valuables lying around while going for breakfast, or had put them away in a safe or locked bag. The amount involved is a strong temptation to a girl working 6 long days a week for small money....

On 11/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, Sparktrader said:

Ive never had stuff stolen. Never been bashed. Never been murdered.

Been abused once by a Thai. Get abused daily in Oz on the roads by bad drivers in the wrong.

Left a laptop at Suvarnabhumi. Discovered it was missing the next day. I figured it was long gone. Went back to the airport to lost & found. A THAI security guy found it and turned it in. Asked to meet him to say thanks and give him something. They said not necessary. 

• Like 1

Here's a tip - take your keycard or physical keys with you when you go out. This way, the front desk won't know if you're in, or out. I also hang the 'DND' sign outside the door the moment I check into the room, and only remove it when I leave. I don't need someone to make my bed every day so that works for me.

• Thumbs Up 1