Thai soccer fans will get to see all the 64 World Cup soccer matches

snoop1130

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

so what are you doing on this thread?!????

I have almost zero interest in watching soccer.  However, I am interested in this farcical will we/won't we have televised games palaver.

All for a tournament that Thailand did not qualify for.   555 

Was always going to Happen  as I mention in earlier posts on this subject. The Thai people love their sport especially Football ️ 

There will no doubt be some Farang moaners complaining about the cost 

And the money could be used else where ????

But it brings Happiness to the Thai people ????

Who can now enjoy the World Cup football same myself 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, stat said:

Any "legal" way to watch the matches on the internet while here in Thailand? I do not have a tv package or sat connection. I am on 3bbb internet. Otherwise will have to use some <deleted>ty streaming website that crashes while Germany wins the penalty shoot out vs England ???? (No offense I love the UK and lived there) Thanks!

I have been using this streaming website, "AVA IPTV" with "Smart STB" for my TV. I bought a yearly subscription at $7/month and able to watch movies, Formula 1, Football matches, from any country and anything your little heart desires. I think for the price it is worth it. I had them remove all countries except US, UK and Thailand, which makes it stream much faster, no lag and use 3BBB fiber as well. The customer service is excellent and responds quickly to emails.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Probably a face-gaining thing, or placating the masses. ????

Vote buying ahead of elections in first quarter 2023. 

With nothing done about flood prevention since the great floods of 2011 or waste management, Thais will die happy washed away with their families in a torrent of sewage because they could stay up late to watch the footy and gambled on it in 2022. Who wouldn’t want to make this choice?

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not too hard to work out. It’s called tactics, to try to get the ref to call a foul, but is thankfully less an issue nowadays with VAR etc. Anyway, dignity and ice hockey? Isn’t that the hobby where they fight every 5 minutes and dressed up in so much foam that you could drop off a cliff and not be hurt? ????

You haven't been watching De Bruyne recently

32 minutes ago, shackleton said:

There will no doubt be some Farang moaners complaining about the cost 

And the money could be used else where ????

Attempt to trivialise it all you want, but they have a point.  There will also be many Thais that look around and see much more important and beneficial causes that the money could be spent on.

32 minutes ago, shackleton said:

But it brings Happiness to the Thai people ????

Therefore all arguments for spending the money elsewhere are invalid?  You write like this fact makes it unilaterally a good thing and anyone suggesting that the money could be better spent elsewise are bad or wish for Thai people to be unhappy.

If happiness is the metric by which to measure where the money would be best spent, then alleviating poverty and improving living conditions for Thais would surely increase happiness to a higher level than simply being able to watch some sports on TV.

It might surprise you, but many "moaners" are actually also concerned about the welfare of Thai people, and to a level a little more significant than "something good on the telly".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Watching the games on British Terrestrial TV (BBC 1 and ITV) with a VPN.

OR purchase an IPTV subscription. 

But, something 100% legal....  I’m not so sure. 

Thailand and the word Legal should not be used in the same sentence eh 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nikmar said:

you would think that they would have a higher pain threshold, what with all those tattoos!!

What about all the shaved heads, you know the back of the heads, I used to hate it when I was a little boy, it was forced on me before I was big enough to stand up to my parents.

Most of the young men today have these "little boy" haircuts, and as for these beards????

Todays young girls will not know what a handsome guy really looks like, ie Elvis, Ricky Nelson etc.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

I have been watching the World Cup since 1954, when it was in Switzerland. Sad to see the quality of football decline since then, now that all the "world" takes part at some stage.

For those who know nothing about football, the only way you can enjoy (even minimally) the World Cup is if you choose a country or countries to follow, support, for whatever weird reason you yourself might have.  Thus a game between a Sunni Moslem state and a Shia might have some ooomf to it.  Or Wales to beat England.   Or Canada to beat USA.  Above all, the first stage will be interesting for these non-soccer reasons:  Also, USA to play one of George Bush's axis of evil, Iran.  Lots of non-football reasons to enjoy a game.

The heat in Qatar will, even now, be overwhelming, so....slow games no doubt.

What makes you think the quality went down? Did you see the 1954 final? As Günther Netzer once said about the teams of 1974 they were playing tip kick football i.e. not running and moving. No pressing nothing, the old teams would loose 0:10 vs a 2022 team.

Edited by stat

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Was this really ever in doubt?

I reckon the deal was done weeks ago but by announcing it at the eleventh hour just means everyone involved now looks like a real hero. Pats on the back all round....

They were just holding back and waiting how much they could sting the private sector for . ????

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Same here, I prefer Rugby where a player gets a broken finger, tapes it up, and plays on.

Football......A game for gentlemen played by hooligans, Rugby a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen......

Rugby must be about the most boring sport ever. It seems that any big fit, strongly built, fast runner can play it. I just fail to see where the skill is.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, stat said:

What makes you think the quality went down? Did you see the 1954 final? As Günther Netzer once said about the teams of 1974 they were playing tip kick football i.e. not running and moving. They would loose 0:10 vs a 2022 team.

The quality of the WC as a "spectacle."  (Ridiculous to compare different eras in playing quality.)  Anyone who saw Spain drag their asses through the borefest final against Holland in 2010 will know what I am talking about.

About the only thing memorable about the 1986 WC in Mexico is Maradona's Hand of God.  Whereas, as a spectacle, the Mexico WC of 1970 contained Gordon Banks's miraculous save against Pele and also a brilliant final between Italy and Brazil showcasing some of the best footballers ever to walk the planet. 

Those were spectacles I don't expect to be repeated in Qatar.....

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Same here, I prefer Rugby where a player gets a broken finger, tapes it up, and plays on.

Football......A game for gentlemen played by hooligans, Rugby a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen......

Rugby is boring. League has action.

Let's face it...  in reality, Football, Rugby League and Union are all good to watch at the high levels. 

All have their pro’s and cons - but all very enjoyable... There’s no reason to choose one over the other, they can all be enjoyed even if we have our preferences. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Totally agree. American sports the players dress as if they are going to war with full body armour. They are afraid of getting hurt......Big pussies. Now a game like rugby which is a real man's sport and now it has been shown a game for real women too. They rely on skill to play the game and do not need to wear full body armour. Americans have to use brute force to win games like American football ( played with the hands not their feet )  and ice hocky etc.

I agree with you about these American sports but Rugby?? "They rely on skill to play the game". What skill would that be, please explain.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Attempt to trivialise it all you want, but they have a point.  There will also be many Thais that look around and see much more important and beneficial causes that the money could be spent on.

Therefore all arguments for spending the money elsewhere are invalid?  You write like this fact makes it unilaterally a good thing and anyone suggesting that the money could be better spent elsewise are bad or wish for Thai people to be unhappy.

If happiness is the metric by which to measure where the money would be best spent, then alleviating poverty and improving living conditions for Thais would surely increase happiness to a higher level than simply being able to watch some sports on TV.

It might surprise you, but many "moaners" are actually also concerned about the welfare of Thai people, and to a level a little more significant than "something good on the telly".

All good points... but these ‘anti-spending-money-on-the-football-world-cup’ comments cast their judgement with the impression that this money (b1.1 bn) is the only money Thailand has to spend... 

It will get much of that money back from sponsors paying for their ‘brand’ on the Thai broadcast screens and advert / intermissions, or they’ll do what they usually do and make the ‘football images’ smaller while playing an add in the background...   The govornment could actually profit (I’m guessing). 

One thing is for sure this amount is a small of Thailands annual budget which is in excess of 3.3 trillion Baht (±13.2 trillion over 4 years)  approximately 12,000x greater than the spend on showing the football (every 4 years).

The virtue signallers and soap-boxers can put this back into perspective !!!

Now.. anyone want to talk about military submarines ??? :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I agree with you about these American sports but Rugby?? "They rely on skill to play the game". What skill would that be, please explain.

From the technical aspect of scrummaging, line outs, rucks and malls...  to the timing and angles of the runs and passes....  the variation and evolution of tactics through as the game evolves...  

The skill and intelligence involved in being a successful rugby player can’t be under-estimated. 

But... If it has to be explained to you, you wouldn’t understand anyway.... 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Rugby must be about the most boring sport ever. It seems that any big fit, strongly built, fast runner can play it. I just fail to see where the skill is.

All-in wrestling for a weird shaped ball.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
36 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

All-in wrestling for a weird shaped ball.

Just like athletics huh???... all you’ve got to do is run from A-B... easy !!... :whistling:

So many of these comments are just plan stupid... 

5 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning,

1.4 Billion Thai Baht for a Soccer Tournament !!?? ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS THAILAND !! Why don’t you use the money to help the poor , Or manage flood zones so people don’t have to wade through human sewage , Or establish a Nation Wide Solid waste collection system. 

Agree,but with a election next year they are just buying votes as usual

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Typical Canadian response

Down under men play cricket? In The True North crickets are insects that make a nice sound at night. Aussie Rules rocks but Canucks still catch and can't make a mark.